• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Lets see your vintage watches

ricou2273

I'm Pretty Popular
28/10/10
IMAG0683.jpg

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
Another couple of mine:

zo.jpg

These are UK ministry of defence issued watches to WW2 pilots. Also called the WWW (which apparently stood for waterproof wrist watch). Difficult to find fully original pieces in good condition these days, and there are always very questionable examples coming up on eBay, mostly franken. The one on the left had the dial and hands refinished and the case slightly polished. The one on the right has never been touched and is in complete original condition.

co-axial

Legendary Member
Advisor
16/9/10
Another couple of mine:

These are UK ministry of defence issued watches to WW2 pilots. Also called the WWW (which apparently stood for waterproof wrist watch). Difficult to find fully original pieces in good condition these days, and there are always very questionable examples coming up on eBay, mostly franken. The one on the left had the dial and hands refinished and the case slightly polished. The one on the right has never been touched and is in complete original condition.

Great stuff Roo :thumbsup:

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
Very impressive! I'd love to add a WWW to my collection, and I'd be happy enough with a Timor--let alone an Omega!

Here's mine:

i-9L9r5tm-X3.jpg

On a related note, I hate how Omega confused things when they appropriated "Broad Arrow".

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
Beatuful, LHOOQ! The Longines Greenlander has been on my shopping list for a while. I'm just patiently waiting for the right piece to come up at the right price! :)

Speaking of Longines, here's one of mine (from the late 40's). I love the design and the patina has developed nicely. This one came in a small and large case size and I managed to find both versions a few years ago. The one pictured here is the larger case version.

hhh.jpg

PS: agree with the broad arrow confusion! It annoys me too.

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
Beatuful, LHOOQ! The Longines Greenlander has been on my shopping list for a while. I'm just patiently waiting for the right piece to come up at the right price! :)

My "right price" was just over $100! This Greenlander was one of those rare, cheap beauties that only Narikaa seems to be able to find. :)

I actually started planning a project to turn it into something that looked like a 1950s-era WWW. I even exchanged a few messages with pbdad about the feasibility. In the end, I got cold feet about paying more than double the purchase cost to mod an A21J rep. Especially when there was nothing I could do about the date window.

Love that Longines of yours. I just bought something a little newer--an Ultra-Chron from the 1970s, and I've got my fingers crossed that the movement's in good shape!

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
My "right price" was just over $100! This Greenlander was one of those rare, cheap beauties that only Narikaa seems to be able to find. :)

Wow! Very impressive. I have been looking for a gen, but maybe I should rethink that!! I didn't even know there are reps of the Greenlander! Maybe I should shoot Reg an email... :)

Ok, here's another one to keep the thread moving...

12.jpg

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
Nice one deadbear! I like it. Though perhaps you went a bit overboard with the crystal? :lol: i think it would still be ok in terms of accuracy it were cleaner.

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Give the crystal a good working over with some Polywatch and it will make it look a lot better. Some of the deeper scratches will just be softened enough to keep it looking aged.

Deadbear77

I'm Pretty Popular
7/6/11
The crystal broke had to use a spare for now. I'll try that

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
DB, have a look at the crystal on my gen:

phodfdff.jpg

The crystal is quite old but it was polished many times. Interestingly enough, this has had the effect of polishing down the cyclop to the point where the magnification has been affected, and it's now not as big as it was originally. However, the crystal is mostly clear. I have seen this in a few old gens... A clear crystal but a reduction in cyclop magnification from lots of polishing over the years.

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
Here's one from my small collection of vintage gens, and one of my few gold watches.

This is an early 70s Wakmann chronograph, with a Valjoux 7734 inside. The case and dial are identical to a contemporary design by Breitling.

i-VrCLjBH-X3.jpg

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
I see a tudor homeplate just waiting to get out....

If it wasn't so nice as it is of course.

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
I see a tudor homeplate just waiting to get out...

That was the original plan, until I saw that it was in nearly-NOS condition. Good thing I have one extra 7734 earmarked for future projects!

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
Yes, good choice LHOOQ. That's a keeper!! :) I'm not a gold guy and I'm not a Wakmann guy. But that watch might have just changed all that! And your photo skills aren't helping either.

Ephry73

I'm Pretty Popular
10/6/11
Here's one from my small collection of vintage gens, and one of my few gold watches.

This is an early 70s Wakmann chronograph, with a Valjoux 7734 inside. The case and dial are identical to a contemporary design by Breitling.

i-VrCLjBH-X3.jpg

Love that dial M

E