• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex 6538 'high end Viet' build' - a cautionary tale.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
A little while ago a guy on the forum contacted me, asked me to swap the dial and insert on his Phong built 6538, plus he says there's a problem with the crown, and the dial moves when he winds the watch - he's supplying the parts, it seems straight forward enough, so I don't really ask too many more questions.

I've sold gen 4 & 5 digit GMT and Sub parts many times to both Phong and his son, they pay fast, and are easy to deal with. This will be the first watch built by Phong I get up close to - I've seen plenty of his cases, and as long as they haven't been refinished by them, then the case is OK - it's a standard Viet' case with Phongs stamps and engravings, which are of pretty good quality.

Later, when I've finished working on it, I ask the owner a few more questions, as I'm surprised by the watch. Turns out it was built by Jensen, Phongs son, so 'technically' not a Phong build, but it uses Phong parts and Jensen trained under his father so . . .

Price of it was a shock - £1500 / $2000 US.

So when it arrives I see that the case is in it's unpolished, 'raw' state, the dial is of mediocre quality - gold paint, not true gilt, the bezel ring is nickel plated brass and looks brand new, the gilt hands have a unique brushed finish to them, and the movement is a Valanvron 24 - no, I didn't know what it was either. Thanks to the internet, an explanation:

"The Valanvron watch company in Switzerland apparently assembles and finishes ST21 (Sea-Gull's clone of the ETA 2824) ebauches as legally 'Swiss Made' movements, designated Valanvron 24. Valanvron is not a manufacturer but an assembler/finisher, similar to what Sellita and Soprod used to be before they became manufacturers (by cloning the ebauches they originally worked with)".

So, an asian clone assembled in Switzerland to get around the Made in Switzerland laws.

I always forget to do 'before' pics, so some low res' pics the owner sent me before shipping to me:

Phong-crap-2.jpg

Phong-crap-3.jpg

Quite underwhelming, aside from the inaccuracies in the dial etc, the lume on the hands don't match the dial, and it doesn't really ooze authenticity.

What I find when I open it up - notice the position of the centre hole in the dial in relation to the movement hour wheel etc.

1.jpg

The burring around the centre hole of the dial, where it's been hacked away at with some sort of tool.

2.jpg

The owner told me that Jensen informed him the movement had been modified to accept the gen spec dial - confirmation can be seen here. Scotch tape rolled over on itself was holding the dial in place.

3.jpg

4.jpg

The movement ring (of a $2000 watch).

5.jpg

6.jpg

The hands with their unique brushed finish - very difficult to capture in a pic, but it looks like they were run over 400 grade W&D paper. Definitely not gen spec.

7.jpg

$2000 is a lot of money to spend on a rep which contains no gen parts whatsoever.

This is the result after some fairly simple work - new dial, hands, both relumed, new insert with some patina added, case refinished, bezel ring reworked - what the watch should have looked like in the beginning IMO, considering it's price and provenance. If it had been a HR 6538 at $500 then it would have been slightly more understandable.

IMG-2990.jpg

IMG-2992.jpg

IMG-2993.jpg

IMG-2994.jpg

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
Like I said to other members via PM, simply can't go wrong with you. Getting a 6542 from you was a pleasure experience and you answered so many of my stupid questions.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

François.Fillon

Renowned Member
19/11/16
The owner told me that Jensen informed him the movement had been modified to accept the gen spec dial - confirmation can be seen here. Scotch tape rolled over on itself was holding the dial in place.
:picard2: 2000$ for this watch with "scotched" dial and craft movement ... However the case seems to be a good base to do something with it.
As usual your work is a fine art restoration and a wise choice in brand tweezer :)

Reactions: tripdog

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
The hands with their unique brushed finish - very difficult to capture in a pic, but it looks like they were run over 400 grade W&D paper. Definitely not gen spec.

7.jpg

The finishing on your tweezers is better than those hands!

Nice tweezers by the way. They look strong and precise. Which is how I like to imagine you. Are they the antimagnetic #3?

jomtones

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/7/19
The finishing on your tweezers is better than those hands!

Nice tweezers by the way. They look strong and precise. Which is how I like to imagine you. Are they the antimagnetic #3?

Ugh that's what the hands on my 5512 look like.....which I built :(.

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Out of curiosity and hoping to “close the loop” on why Jensen’s build was SO bad - has anyone asked him about it? Like the owner of the watch? Or you when you’re selling them some high end, vintage Rolex swag? Something totally not awkward like, “hey, thanks for the prompt payment on these really expensive parts. By the way, I saw one of your builds, it was utter shite, what gives?”
Anyways, to my point:
- Do Jensen builds normally suck?
- If not, what was up with this one?

eddy@manu

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
5/1/17
Nice build ????

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk