• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My 1680 so far

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
Haven’t modded anything in a loooonnng is time. Got my 1680 from mary last week and had some free time this wkd so I figured I’d get started on it.

Need to do some touch up work on the lume but most of it is done. Just waiting on my spring bars and my atheya crown n tube.

1. Reshaped the case. Case is thinner slightly.
Reshaped the crown guards. Re-brush and re-polish the correct parts.

2. Aged the case a little bit.
Drilled larger lug holes for the springbars that should be delivered today.

3. Faded and browned the bezel a bit
4. Lume applied to the dial (not at perfect as I wanted but shit happens). Reminder: don’t drink coffee before lume work!
4. Darker lume applied to the hands to give it a different look than the dial. Haven’t decided if I like it or not yet.
6. Added some patina to the DWO so it has a nice tan color with some darker spots on the dates.

Now all I need is my atheya crown n tube.

07825464a07aa46ae254ffecdb78f111.jpg
8870a83dd8d89e8a7426849a0d5924dd.jpg

Lmk what ya think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Looks good! Can’t wait to see the final results with the Athaya.

You should consider aging the hands a bit. Subtly, nothing too aggressive.

Can you post some profile images too?

bc1221

30/4/14
The hands look a bit aged in certain angles. Just minor scratches n such. Not too much. I don’t want to wear down the silver and end up with bronze hands. I just made the lume darker on the hands after seeing a few gens that look similar.

I think it’s a good contrast to the mustard colored lume.

Thanks tho. I’ll be sure to post some more pics once i get home. I don’t really want to have a watch photo shoot at the office. They already think I have a watch addiction. ????

bc1221

30/4/14
Actually...

249585b68edc94753d18668cd4e00635.jpg
34a98efc927d8c7c6ca0ab4d5106712d.jpg

I was early for a meeting. Lol

And damn those cartel cases with the lug holes close to the edges. Had to thin the lugs to even get a little closer away from the edge. May need to work on that a bit more.

Last edited:

bc1221

30/4/14
That 9 marker is the only one that really bugs me. The thing is... you can only tell when zoomed in but it’s poking at the OCD in me. Ugh. Might have to go back in and try to match some colors.

FYI for $15 bucks you can get a AWESOME oiler set from amazon with extremely thin oilers. That helped soo much in this project. Use a thicker Oiler to get a good amount of lume on the marker and spread it with the thin Oiler. Gets you pretty close to the edges. I just went too close. :(

bc1221

30/4/14
Some more pics from yesterday.

At reading length, the 9 marker looks fine. It just bugs me knowing it’s not perfect.

12aad8ab740f333097ebf57116de1314.jpg

e001fcc6bec2b5b9e0387ea05b79a962.jpg

8889b6a2ed7ed11bd39f4a68f66f1821.jpg

Reactions: dan_Watchier

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
FYI for $15 bucks you can get a AWESOME oiler set from amazon with extremely thin oilers. That helped soo much in this project. Use a thicker Oiler to get a good amount of lume on the marker and spread it with the thin Oiler. Gets you pretty close to the edges. I just went too close.

Nice work BC. Care to share a link to the oilers?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bc1221

30/4/14
QQ for you 1680 experts.
Does that plexi look correct? It doesn’t seem to center on the date window. It honestly looks like it’s for a Tudor sub.

If I’m looking straight at it, I can only see the 6. When I tilt it, I can see 16. I looked at the dates without the plexi and they all seem to be centered. Maybe sitting a little high on the window but does not seem centered on the plexi.

I’ll prob end up ordering a Clark’s anyway but that just seemed odd to me. I’ve modded a few 1680s before and this is the first time I’m seeing it like that.

Does anyone else shave the plexi down a bit? The magnification is entirely too much imo. ESP compared to gens. I did a little bit here but apparently, not enough.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Thanks for the link bc. Personally, I like the cyclops having a lot of magnification on these vintage Roleys - I think it looks more “vintage”!

joedoesntsharefood

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
7/9/19
france
looks great! only thing (to me of course) is that insert is very fadded, hands a bit, but dial looks new... i would age it a bit.

bc1221

30/4/14
looks great! only thing (to me of course) is that insert is very fadded, hands a bit, but dial looks new... i would age it a bit.

Thanks!

It’s an old insert that I had laying around. I have the new one. I haven’t decided whether I want to go the full “didn’t really take care of it” look or the well taken care of look.

bc1221

30/4/14
Dial aging is soo tricky tho. I really wish there was an easier way to get a tropical dial. The only thing you can really do is lume it. I don’t want to splatter paint all over it.

IDK. From looking at 1680 (gens), they all look pretty new still. Aside from the random beaten up ones. Hell, some even look brand new. Oddly, the ones beat to shit seem to cost more. Lol

I might go over the lume again and maybe just add a tad bit more with less binder this time and make it more yellow. Pissed me off because the mix I had in the bowl was a perfect cream color. When it dried, it looked like this. Added rust and everything.

May add a layer of matte clear coat to it too. See how looks.

Last edited:

bny107

Known Member
8/3/17
Looks great! May I know how to brown the insert?

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

bc1221

30/4/14
Looks great! May I know how to brown the insert?

Sure.

There’s 2 ways.
1. You can throw the insert on a tray and bake it in the oven on low and check on it frequently.
2. Get a browning torch (small hand held butane torch)

You have to remove the lacquer. Use some nail polish remover or acetone and wipe it off. May take a few swipes. Then use one of the above methods. It will turn brown pretty fast with the torch and it will get really hot so hold it with some tweezers.

Here’s a pic of it turning from black to brown.

14e894b907e85cc5cb3bca9b7af90e97.jpg

Tobel

6/7/17
Sure.

There’s 2 ways.
1. You can throw the insert on a tray and bake it in the oven on low and check on it frequently.
2. Get a browning torch (small hand held butane torch)

You have to remove the lacquer. Use some nail polish remover or acetone and wipe it off. May take a few swipes. Then use one of the above methods. It will turn brown pretty fast with the torch and it will get really hot so hold it with some tweezers.

Here’s a pic of it turning from black to brown.

Hi mate, do you know if these methods would also work to "tropicalize" a pepsi insert? I've seen quite a few tutorials to get them fuschia or cherry but never desaturated, for example like here: https://www.google.com/search?q=1675...kpjLm_zZ1xlzwM

Thanks and beautiful 1680 you have there!

PS: not trying to hijack your thread of course, sorry :)

Last edited:

bc1221

30/4/14
Hi mate, do you know if these methods would also work to "tropicalize" a pepsi insert? I've seen quite a few tutorials to get them fuschia or cherry but never desaturated, for example like here: https://www.google.com/search?q=1675...kpjLm_zZ1xlzwM

Thanks and beautiful 1680 you have there!

PS: not trying to hijack your thread of course, sorry :)

No worries.

If the insert is aluminum, it should have the same effect. That insert looks more bleached than baked tho.

Tobel

6/7/17
No worries.

If the insert is aluminum, it should have the same effect. That insert looks more bleached than baked tho.

Thanks

bny107

Known Member
8/3/17
thx a lot
btw your kissing 40, is so beautiful, did you do it by yourself. Or could you tell me where could I buy, thank you so much again

Regards