• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Vintage Rolex 6294 - Restore or not?

Scandalloman

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/3/18
I have a vintage Rolex 6294 that I am contemplating having restored. It hasnt been serviced in about 50 years and has a misaligned datewheel. Amazingly, it still works and keeps pretty good time.

I would like to have the case and crystal scratches removed and I am thinking about restoring the hands and dial markers, as they seem to be pretty badly corroded. The dial itself seems to be in decent condition though, so i might leave it.

Any recommendations/advice would be greatly appreciated. I do not want to ruin the watch! Pics attached.

a>

Dial262f5dbe2f742cf6.md.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Last edited:

jimcon11

Known Member
25/6/17
Get the movement serviced and put some lume of the same color in the minute hand where it's missing. That's it. Anything else is going to detract from its value. It's a budget-tier Rolex but it has aged well and has a nice scientific dial. And it's from the 50s, which in the opinion of many is the peak era of Rolex and watchmaking in general. Eventually these will be as collectable as Submariners are now.

Oh, if the crystal scratches bother you use polywatch or toothpaste on a microfiber cloth.

Last edited:

Scandalloman

6/3/18
Get the movement serviced and put some lume of the same color in the minute hand where it's missing. That's it. Anything else is going to detract from its value. It's a budget-tier Rolex but it has aged well and has a nice scientific dial. And it's from the 50s, which in the opinion of many is the peak era of Rolex and watchmaking in general. Eventually these will be as collectable as Submariners are now.

Oh, if the crystal scratches bother you use polywatch or toothpaste on a microfiber cloth.

Thanks for the advice!

Regarding the missing lume, that’s actually a hole and what you see beneath in the color of the dial, would I need to have the whole minute hand re-lumed? and when you say this, do you mean re-lumed with the same appearance (rusty black), or with the original lume color?I’m guessing if this were done the hour hand would also have to have the same thing done otherwise it would look funny, no?

Also, What what do you advise about the second hand? The original color was blue, but now it is also rusty black. Leave it as is?

Per your advice I will not touch the dial, but do you recommend that i have the dial markers re-lumed too? Or will this impact the value/collectability?

I personally feel that "Rusty Black" is super ugly, but the most important thing is maintaining the originality of the piece. I plan on putting a tobacco crocodile strap on it with a SS vintage Rolex buckle. I think it will look great after all is said and done.

Thanks!

Last edited:

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
It depends on what you intend to do with the watch.

If you want to wear it then you do whatever you feel necessary - and that in your opinion - improves it's appearance.

If you want to sell it, then have the movement serviced and nothing else - do not under any circumstances try to fill in lume holes. It'll look like crap and devalue the watch.

People who collect vintage watches either want them un-restored - left exactly as they are, or they want them restored to their original like new condition - which in your case would mean sourcing a new dial, hands etc and having the case professionally refinished and the movement serviced and the NOS parts installed.

Having the current hands and dial, cleaned and relumed would be expensive, and would not necessarily increase it's value.

Scandalloman

6/3/18
It depends on what you intend to do with the watch.

If you want to wear it then you do whatever you feel necessary - and that in your opinion - improves it's appearance.

If you want to sell it, then have the movement serviced and nothing else - do not under any circumstances try to fill in lume holes. It'll look like crap and devalue the watch.

People who collect vintage watches either want them un-restored - left exactly as they are, or they want them restored to their original like new condition - which in your case would mean sourcing a new dial, hands etc and having the case professionally refinished and the movement serviced and the NOS parts installed.

Having the current hands and dial, cleaned and relumed would be expensive, and would not necessarily increase it's value.

Thanks for the great advice. This watch belonged to my grandfather and was given to my father and then to me, I do not ever plan on selling it. With that in mind, I think I will go for the total restoration route, as I want to use it a lot and enjoy the heritage on my wrist daily in its full beauty condition.

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Thanks for the great advice. This watch belonged to my grandfather and was given to my father and then to me, I do not ever plan on selling it. With that in mind, I think I will go for the total restoration route, as I want to use it a lot and enjoy the heritage on my wrist daily in its full beauty condition.

Please go join Vintage Rolex Forum - Post your dame question and thoughts there. They will give you some good recommendations of who and where to have this restored.
Good luck! It’s a wonderful heritage piece.

efajri

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
The best is to go to a local AD. They will restore the watch close to the original state, and you will be very happy. It may cost a lot though.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
The best is to go to a local AD. They will restore the watch close to the original state, and you will be very happy. It may cost a lot though.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

I disagree with this advice. From my experience reading other peoples’ Experience with Rolex AD/SC - they are not to be trusted with vintage pieces. They are rather insensitive to the patina or heritage of a piece. Additionally, they will keep all parts replaced. A local, trusted, and vintage Rolex recommended watchmaker will work with you.
I understand you want it fully functional but go ask for who VRF advises to help you restore it to fully functioning condition. They’ll also give you some good insights into what will increase/decrease value.

Reactions: François.Fillon

efajri

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
I disagree with this advice. From my experience reading other peoples’ Experience with Rolex AD/SC - they are not to be trusted with vintage pieces. They are rather insensitive to the patina or heritage of a piece. Additionally, they will keep all parts replaced. A local, trusted, and vintage Rolex recommended watchmaker will work with you.
I understand you want it fully functional but go ask for who VRF advises to help you restore it to fully functioning condition. They’ll also give you some good insights into what will increase/decrease value.

Have you gone to a local AD and asked? Either way it’s your watch. Do whatever you want. I am just a dude that knows nothing.

Sent from the RWI mobile app

jimcon11

Known Member
25/6/17
Thanks for the advice!

Regarding the missing lume, that’s actually a hole and what you see beneath in the color of the dial, would I need to have the whole minute hand re-lumed? and when you say this, do you mean re-lumed with the same appearance (rusty black), or with the original lume color?I’m guessing if this were done the hour hand would also have to have the same thing done otherwise it would look funny, no?

Also, What what do you advise about the second hand? The original color was blue, but now it is also rusty black. Leave it as is?

Per your advice I will not touch the dial, but do you recommend that i have the dial markers re-lumed too? Or will this impact the value/collectability?

I personally feel that "Rusty Black" is super ugly, but the most important thing is maintaining the originality of the piece. I plan on putting a tobacco crocodile strap on it with a SS vintage Rolex buckle. I think it will look great after all is said and done.

Thanks!

I meant mix up some non glowing lume that matches the current color and simply fill in the gap, capillary action makes this pretty easy. I've had good results doing this, and if it were my watch and I had no intention of selling it then I would do it because the gap would bother me. Repaired lume on one hand is not going to devalue the watch, even though you're going to keep it.

You might think the watch is in rough shape but I've seen way worse. More pics would help but from what I can see it has the kind of nice even wear that people appreciate. Dial refinishing and case polishing is an absolute NO in my book. Most important thing would be get the movement serviced so parts are not wearing down and it lasts for years to come.

​​​

Scandalloman

6/3/18
Have you gone to a local AD and asked? Either way it’s your watch. Do whatever you want. I am just a dude that knows nothing.

Sent from the RWI mobile app

Ironically the first place I sent it to was Rolex....they sent it back to me with an apology letter because they no longer manufacture the parts for this model, basically paid $100 shipping just for them to say "sorry chap"

François.Fillon

Renowned Member
19/11/16
Ironically the first place I sent it to was Rolex....they sent it back to me with an apology letter because they no longer manufacture the parts for this model, basically paid $100 shipping just for them to say "sorry chap"

You were lucky that they don't replace all parts like Henski said...

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
I meant mix up some non glowing lume that matches the current color and simply fill in the gap, capillary action makes this pretty easy. I've had good results doing this, and if it were my watch and I had no intention of selling it then I would do it because the gap would bother me. Repaired lume on one hand is not going to devalue the watch, even though you're going to keep it.

You might think the watch is in rough shape but I've seen way worse. More pics would help but from what I can see it has the kind of nice even wear that people appreciate. Dial refinishing and case polishing is an absolute NO in my book. Most important thing would be get the movement serviced so parts are not wearing down and it lasts for years to come.

​​​

Wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: 369mafia

jimcon11

Known Member
25/6/17

Alright, if it helps I'll say "not going to devalue the watch significantly". I browse the sale results for watches like this all the time and I don't believe it would make much of a difference. Feel free to provide evidence to the contrary.

Last edited:

BabaNJ

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
11/12/16
New Jersey, USA
Movement service/date alignment fixed and i will leave everything else exactly like it is. The main value with these pieces is history and anything done to any part of the watch apart from insides instantly kills all history. Either keeping or selling just leave the exterior as it is.

pinkrolex

29/7/19
EU
I can only agree to BabaNJ,
leave the watch in this condition and the value will grow in the next years

Reactions: Scandalloman