• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex 5513 PCG - just some info

NCRich

Raddave's favorite
Supporter
Certified
24/3/11
This is probably my favorite of the vintage subs. Just so simple and clean. It ran from 1962 to 89. The PCG is a 1963 model, and it came originally with a gilt dial. Matte dials came later. You will hear a lot of people prattle on about what ought to be on one of these subs, but the fact is they were not expensive watches, Rolex outsourced many of the components so they vary from year to year, and when they were sent in for service they tossed away the gilt dials for service ones. Same for any other part that looked worn out. So if you look at pictures they are all over the place. Crown of different sizes, plexis of different dimensions, etc. So you may as well do what you like as there is no "right." Even gen parts are most likely not correct for your model. Some gens:

5513-2.jpg

5513-3.jpg

rolex-5513-pcg-2line-silver-gilt-vintage-122-1000px-600x600.jpg

I particularly like that last one.

So I've built several of these. They started life as the base JK factory model from Marvellous Replica. The problem you face is the CGs are too short and wide, and the crown is way, way too tall. People tell you an Athaya is GREAT but I'm not a fan. They don't look right (well they probably are gen spec for some Rolex) but in combo with what I have to work with the overall look is wrong. Here are two I have finished up that I think make some decent compromises. I have reshaped the cases with pointy crown guards. The jubilee one has an Athaya crown (its a bit tall for this case) and the oyster one has a crown I found on Aliexpress. I think it makes for a better look. Everything has been aged and relumed, cases drilled (yada yada). I have not modified the juby bracelet to fit 2mm spring bars, so the lug holes look a bit empty. But I love the watch on juby. So some pics of the very understated sub.

IMG-4290.jpg

IMG-4287.jpg

IMG-4284.jpg

IMG-4281.jpg

IMG-4278.jpg

IMG-4274.jpg

IMG-4270.jpg

IMG-4267.jpg

IMG-4265.jpg

IMG-4261.jpg

IMG-4259.jpg

jomtones

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/7/19
They look great! Thank you for sharing. Your early submariner modding threads were an invaluable resource for me when I first started doing my mods.

Do you know if the JKF cases you used were gen 1 or gen 2? I found the gen 2 to have plenty of CG meat to work into a PCG shape.

However, I'm unhappy with my PCG attempts and have wanted to go down the route of a 5512 vietnam case that's already PCG. From what I hear though, they only take 27 mm dials and you'd need a gen movement to keep a 26mm dial with ETA from falling through the rehaut.

Don't know if you have experience with the vietnam cases, but would be happy to hear your experiences if so.

NCRich

Raddave's favorite
Supporter
Certified
24/3/11
They look great! Thank you for sharing. Your early submariner modding threads were an invaluable resource for me when I first started doing my mods.

Do you know if the JKF cases you used were gen 1 or gen 2? I found the gen 2 to have plenty of CG meat to work into a PCG shape.

However, I'm unhappy with my PCG attempts and have wanted to go down the route of a 5512 vietnam case that's already PCG. From what I hear though, they only take 27 mm dials and you'd need a gen movement to keep a 26mm dial with ETA from falling through the rehaut.

Don't know if you have experience with the vietnam cases, but would be happy to hear your experiences if so.

Glad I could help. Good to know someone was reading them.

No, is too rich for my blood. I've not messed with any of those. These are later models, so they are better than the older ones, but they still look better with a shorter crown IMHO. They keep changing stuff, the retaining rings were different sizes this time and they had glue holding on the plexi. Weird. For some reason they are gluing the movement retaining tabs to the retaining ring. Curiouser and curiouser.

François.Fillon

Renowned Member
19/11/16
Thanks NCRich for sharing, I'm addict on 5513 too...

To me Athaya crown looks definitely better and well machined.

Hands look good on both, is it stock hands ?

jomtones

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/7/19
Glad I could help. Good to know someone was reading them.

No, is too rich for my blood. I've not messed with any of those. These are later models, so they are better than the older ones, but they still look better with a shorter crown IMHO. They keep changing stuff, the retaining rings were different sizes this time and they had glue holding on the plexi. Weird. For some reason they are gluing the movement retaining tabs to the retaining ring. Curiouser and curiouser.

Ha, those are definitely the later ones then. Had the same issue, retaining ring wasn't sized correctly, so they glued down the plexi. Had the glued down movement tabs too. I heard they sometimes glue the seconds hand, and you have to scrap the movement. Luckily that wasn't an issue for the 2813 and 2836 I ordered.

NCRich

Raddave's favorite
Supporter
Certified
24/3/11
Thanks NCRich for sharing, I'm addict on 5513 too...

To me Athaya crown looks definitely better and well machined.

Hands look good on both, is it stock hands ?

Yes stock hands. What's funny is you can take a cheap crown and run it through your polisher and it looks well machined. I've had at least 40%of the Athaya crowns I have installed eventually strip. Something ain't right. None of my cheap crowns have stripped.

NCRich

Raddave's favorite
Supporter
Certified
24/3/11
Ha, those are definitely the later ones then. Had the same issue, retaining ring wasn't sized correctly, so they glued down the plexi. Had the glued down movement tabs too. I heard they sometimes glue the seconds hand, and you have to scrap the movement. Luckily that wasn't an issue for the 2813 and 2836 I ordered.

Its been a couple years since they glued the hands on. They ordered the wrong size so just a little drop of superglue..............

SuperTopGun

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
10/2/15
This is probably my favorite of the vintage subs. Just so simple and clean. It ran from 1962 to 89. The PCG is a 1963 model, and it came originally with a gilt dial. Matte dials came later. You will hear a lot of people prattle on about what ought to be on one of these subs, but the fact is they were not expensive watches, Rolex outsourced many of the components so they vary from year to year, and when they were sent in for service they tossed away the gilt dials for service ones. Same for any other part that looked worn out. So if you look at pictures they are all over the place. Crown of different sizes, plexis of different dimensions, etc. So you may as well do what you like as there is no "right." Even gen parts are most likely not correct for your model. Some gens:

5513-2.jpg

5513-3.jpg

So I've built several of these. They started life as the base JK factory model from Marvellous Replica. The problem you face is the CGs are too short and wide, and the crown is way, way too tall. People tell you an Athaya is GREAT but I'm not a fan. They don't look right (well they probably are gen spec for some Rolex) but in combo with what I have to work with the overall look is wrong. Here are two I have finished up that I think make some decent compromises. I have reshaped the cases with pointy crown guards. The jubilee one has an Athaya crown (its a bit tall for this case) and the oyster one has a crown I found on Aliexpress. I think it makes for a better look. Everything has been aged and relumed, cases drilled (yada yada). I have not modified the juby bracelet to fit 2mm spring bars, so the lug holes look a bit empty. But I love the watch on juby. So some pics of the very understated sub.

IMG-4290.jpg

IMG-4287.jpg

IMG-4284.jpg

IMG-4281.jpg

IMG-4278.jpg

IMG-4274.jpg

IMG-4270.jpg

IMG-4267.jpg

IMG-4265.jpg

IMG-4261.jpg

IMG-4259.jpg

Very nice compliments, do you build just for yourself?

Matt5513

9/3/18
Beautiful builds! I really appreciate the way you work on the the dials and on the inserts.

How did you paint the pearl? It looks very good to me.

I ask because I also into modded a couple of JKF for myself: I have the very same 5513 and a 1680. The triangle at 12 seems (like on mine) a little "explorerish" to me, while the one on my 1680 seems correct.

Do you know if it is possible to find some nice and cheap dials for 2813?

NCRich

Raddave's favorite
Supporter
Certified
24/3/11
Beautiful builds! I really appreciate the way you work on the the dials and on the inserts.

How did you paint the pearl? It looks very good to me.

I ask because I also into modded a couple of JKF for myself: I have the very same 5513 and a 1680. The triangle at 12 seems (like on mine) a little "explorerish" to me, while the one on my 1680 seems correct.

Do you know if it is possible to find some nice and cheap dials for 2813?

I use a water based spray matte lacquer and spray it onto a paper plate. Color it with some watercolors and then carefully apply it to the pearl with a very fine brush.

There are not any cheap dials. The least expensive are Yuki and they are over $100, which is more than the original cost of the watch. I like trying to do the best you can with what you have. I keep in mind its just a toy (of course so are gens).

Reactions: Matt5513

Matt5513

9/3/18
I use a water based spray matte lacquer and spray it onto a paper plate. Color it with some watercolors and then carefully apply it to the pearl with a very fine brush.

There are not any cheap dials. The least expensive are Yuki and they are over $100, which is more than the original cost of the watch. I like trying to do the best you can with what you have. I keep in mind its just a toy (of course so are gens).

I'm with you, it is a nice passion and the most interesting and exciting part is studying the references and learning some new workaround for modding those toys! Honestly, my 100$ 1680 gives me a great satisfaction, especially because I "built" with some help from people I knew here on RWI.

Do you use 2813 or 2836 JKF? I went to 2813 because is cheaper and I screwed a couple or 2836 in the past, but probably 2836 is a better alternative :)

NCRich

Raddave's favorite
Supporter
Certified
24/3/11
I'm with you, it is a nice passion and the most interesting and exciting part is studying the references and learning some new workaround for modding those toys! Honestly, my 100$ 1680 gives me a great satisfaction, especially because I "built" with some help from people I knew here on RWI.

Do you use 2813 or 2836 JKF? I went to 2813 because is cheaper and I screwed a couple or 2836 in the past, but probably 2836 is a better alternative :)

2813 movements. But I built a dozen with gen 2879 movements. Started with big crowns and then subs. I like to build them and try new things. Just a hobby!

Reactions: Matt5513

SuperTopGun

Banned
10/2/15

5513-2.jpg

5513-3.jpg

IMG-4290.jpg

IMG-4287.jpg

IMG-4284.jpg

IMG-4281.jpg

IMG-4278.jpg

IMG-4274.jpg

IMG-4270.jpg

IMG-4267.jpg

IMG-4265.jpg

IMG-4261.jpg

IMG-4259.jpg
It is possible to have the exact specifications of this version
a2fbe2a363ca0b9fdbba18009c172b8d.jpg

Inviato dal mio CLT-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

NCRich

Raddave's favorite
Supporter
Certified
24/3/11
It is possible to have the exact specifications of this version
a2fbe2a363ca0b9fdbba18009c172b8d.jpg

Inviato dal mio CLT-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

Its just a stock JK factory 5513. Its just my aging, lume and case work with an inexpensive crown I found on Aliexpress. Its not the parts its what you do with them.

SuperTopGun

Banned
10/2/15
Its just a stock JK factory 5513. Its just my aging, lume and case work with an inexpensive crown I found on Aliexpress. Its not the parts its what you do with them.

You have a link where I can buy the base thanks

NCRich

Raddave's favorite
Supporter
Certified
24/3/11
You have a link where I can buy the base thanks

JK factory 5513, ask any dealer. I order all mine by sending an email to [email protected] along with a picture. They have the best prices, I've literally ordered more than a dozen over the years. $100 or so in 2813. They only take western union. Other dealers have them as well.

SuperTopGun

Banned
10/2/15
JK factory 5513, ask any dealer. I order all mine by sending an email to [email protected] along with a picture. They have the best prices, I've literally ordered more than a dozen over the years. $100 or so in 2813. They only take western union. Other dealers have them as well.

Thanks a lot rich, you can send me the reference photo to send