Announcement

Collapse

Please Consider Supporting RWI Today!

We depend on Supporter & Patron subscriptions to pay the bills. Please consider supporting RWI TODAY, CLICK HERE for info on how to subscribe.
See more
See less

Rolex Explorer II 1655 Albino.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rolex Explorer II 1655 Albino.

I'm sure we all know the history of the Rolex ref' 1655 - In 1971 Rolex decided to expand their Explorer line of watches with the release of the 1655, and rather than simply being a revised version of the existing Explorer, the ref' 1655 was a completely different watch and was given the “Explorer II” designation.

Designed for speleologists exploring caverns far below the earths surface, the reference 1655 was fitted with a fixed bezel with 24-hour markings, plus a date complication so that its users could track the number of days that they had been below ground.

Additionally, a large, bright orange, arrow-shaped, 24-hour hand served as an AM/PM indicator, so that its users would not lose their sense of time after spending several days in total darkness. Talk about targeting a niche market.

The watch didn't sell well on it's release, which may explain why Rolex never stopped tweaking it. There are 7 versions of the dial, 3 versions of the case, and 5 versions of the bezel ring, 2 versions of the second hand, 3 versions of the 24 hour hand, 2 versions of the date wheel.

Secs on this one:

Reworked Phong case.
    Phong bezel ring.
    MQ dial.
    MQ hand set.
    Rolex crystal.
    Rolex crown.
    Silver DW, open 6 & 9's.
    Swiss ETA low beat, 24 hour hand slaved to the hour hand.

Thanks for looking.
    https://picr.me/tripdog/albums

Beautiful work as ever tripdog. I see articles like this, and sometimes I completely forget that they're replica watches - which is surely the mark of exemplary craftsmanship.

BTW, I honestly didn't know whether "plus a date complication so that its users could track the number of days that they had been below ground" was a joke or not...

Comment

Originally posted by n0bby View Post
      Beautiful work as ever tripdog. I see articles like this, and sometimes I completely forget that they're replica watches - which is surely the mark of exemplary craftsmanship.

BTW, I honestly didn't know whether "plus a date complication so that its users could track the number of days that they had been below ground" was a joke or not...
      No, not a joke. Apparently these crazy speleologists dudes will pass several days underground, so a date function may have been pretty useful.

Comment

Originally posted by tripdog View Post
        No, not a joke. Apparently these crazy speleologists dudes will pass several days underground, so a date function may have been pretty useful.
        Yeah, I guessed that it wasn't when you went on to mention what a niche market the watch was catering to! Finding out it wasn't a joke actually made me laugh.

Comment

Very nice mate

Comment

Stunning as always.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G965F mit Tapatalk

Comment

Outstanding job, tripdog! As always.
              Curious why it’s called an “Albino” even though it has a black dial instead of the white dial usually associated with “Albino”. Is it because of the lighter color or faded gmt hand?
              Humble newbie alert - light me up if I’m out of line anywhere, just be gentle w/ my cherry please.

Comment

Originally posted by itgoes211 View Post
                Outstanding job, tripdog! As always.
                Curious why it’s called an “Albino” even though it has a black dial instead of the white dial usually associated with “Albino”. Is it because of the lighter color or faded gmt hand?
                Because of the faded 24 hour hand.

Comment

Congrats on 10K posts and another amazing piece. I love these 1655s.
                  http://www.cigaraficionado.com

https://www.tudorwatch.com

If it floats , flies or fucks it's probably cheaper to rent!

Comment

Really amazing!!! Thanks to post like this one, the more I read here on RWI, the more I appreciate references that in the past I barely look at... I started with 5513 and now I love all the classics
                    Last edited by Matt5513; 17-08-19, 00:42.

Comment

Amazing! I just saw one on the lunaroyster website going for USD 17K. Fantastic work! Didn't expect to see it on RWI.
                      -Asian man-

Comment

Very nice work, love the watch, it's a timeless look that could pass as a new 2010's watch

Comment

Congrats for this impressive build Tripdog!

Comment

Just...amazing. Awesome work and I appreciate the story too..

Comment

Amazing work as usual......in Italy someone wrongly called it “Steve Mc Queen” ...

Comment

Working...
                              X