• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex 1675 GMT - again.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
1-IMG-2685.jpg

Surprisingly, when you buy a genuine vintage Rolex you don't have the choice of mixing and matching lume colour with insert colour - unless you purchase a different insert of course. And if you feel there's too much - or not enough patina - on the dial you can't really ask the seller to change it.
If you find the lugs are too thin, or that stain on the hour hand bothers you then you'll need to find another example of a 1675 - the watch is as it is, you either like it or you don't.

2-IMG-2688.jpg

This is what makes vintage Rolex unique - even if they came out of the factory 50 years ago looking exactly the same, no 2 watches will age the same way - in vintage watches, perfection doesn't exist, except in the eyes of the beholder.

3-IMG-2689.jpg

Those imperfections - the little marks on the dial , the stains on the lume, the scratches on the hands or that nick on the insert etc are the result of time, and to a certain degree the previous owners care (or lack of).

4-IMG-2690.jpg

A vintage Rolex is not standardised, sanitised or homogenised, it has character, history, and it's unique - and replicas of vintage Rolex should also logically try to have the same characteristics.

5-IMG-2693.jpg

Trying to accurately replicate an ageing process that's taken many years is almost impossible - whether you're trying to replicate a 200 year old painting, a 100 year old piece of furniture or a 50 year old GMT 1675. Replicating the randomness of the imperfections - the imperfections that took all those years to appear. Many are so subtle you barely notice them, but your brain registers them.

6-IMG-2692.jpg

So, a thoroughly imperfect GMT 1675 with a MKII dial in a 1978 case (yes, this did exist in Rolex's production of 1675's), with mismatched lume on the dial and hands ( OCD's - cover your eyes or you'll have nightmares), a Rolex 116 crystal, Rolex 5.3 mm crown, and a NOS Swiss ETA low beat converted to GMT - the GMT hand is non adjustable and driven by the hour hand - as per genuine.

7-IMG-2691.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Tschacko

Supporter
1/8/18
The insert looks really nice. Not dull if you bleach it, but vivid colors. The watch looks balanced to me. I cannot arrange myself with the dials. There is no dial without a major flaw. I dont care about thickness of print but I guess there is no Viet Matte Dial out there which is correct in terms of font type.

Reactions: tripdog

Fastman119

10/1/19
Love the paint flaking/chipping off of the insert, never seen that done before on here. All of the flaking/scratching really looks genuine.

Sean43127

Looking Around
27/8/18
This is the model that got me interested in replicas. Beautiful job on this piece.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Tschacko

Supporter
1/8/18
Looking at it again and again again I would rather would say this is closer to an MKIII dial. MKII was outstanding because of its thick Rolex printing.
Have a look:

13e1e2313e25a7758087d671c82a77f5.jpg

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Looking at it again and again again I would rather would say this is closer to an MKIII dial. MKII was outstanding because of its thick Rolex printing.
Have a look:

You understand that the dial is fake, don't you ?

Last edited:

Tschacko

Supporter
1/8/18
You understand that the dial is fake, don't you ?

Wait what ? :)

Sure I do. I am just saying it reflects more properties of an MKIII than MKII

This is not a criticism of your work or the awesome whole look of the watch.

Just a nerdy debate. I am open for it.

Nur-Uhr

Time Machine
Patron
Certified
20/2/17
EU
Perfect as always. Nice 1675 build - so amazing :punk:

I thought I am completed with the collection.... But when I look at your latest builds (5513 and now 1675) I am not sure :rolleyes:

LEBLANC

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
26/3/17
Ugh gorgeous watch and read. Thanks for sharing it.