• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Athaya Cali 3646

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
The Athaya Cali 3646

Hello gents!

The project I'm showing to day is in a way something different for me.
I built more than a few 3646, and at least a couple has a California dial. But this project, for my first time, features the Athaya 3646 case set and a beautiful Belkin12 Cali dial.

First the good news: case comes already polished and with the wire lugs already soldered. No need to pull out that stinking flux and soldering wire, that's a relief and at the same time something I missed. Am I crazy? :crazy:

On the other hand though, the midcase was noticeably fat, with square-ish corners which had to be thinned down and smoothened.

Besides the rehaut was very wonky so I enlarged the inner opening in order to make it look more vertical. No biggie, but a small improvement goes a long way sometimes.

Now, about the dial. This dial is AWESOME. The gold minute track looks great and the surface texture is almost satin-finished.
It came already lumed by Belkin, but I retouched the lume color a little in order to have a bit darker look. Hands are River's relumed to match and rusted a bit.

I used a DSN 618 movement, essentially a 6497 with modified bridges. Very nicely finished, my movement of choice for display caseback builds.

Final pics:

That's all for now, Hope you enjoyed the pics.
See you soon with new projects!

Redheart

17/5/19
Wow, that is exactly the essence and beauty of a Panerai thanks for sharing KW!