• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Adding chamfers - tips

chrome72

7/12/17
Houston TX Baby
Having read various threads, I haven't seen any tips on adding chamfers to watches other than use a dremel. For the seasoned pros out there, have any tips?

Is it better to bring the dremel to the watch or run the watch over the dremel?

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Use needle files man. Where are you adding chanfers,
?

chrome72

7/12/17
Houston TX Baby
On the lugs. It’s my understanding the beveled where on the lugs are called chamfers. Looking to add some to my Silix Rolex 6538

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Finishing them is the hardest part. Cutting metal is easy but making it look nice after is difficult. If you want a polished finish you will need to go through many grades of gridning stones, start low to cut and work up past 2000 grit then polish the chamfer. Honestly if you dont care about the watch too much it could be a good place to learn. Id suggest buying super cheapo watches off ebay or ali to practice on if you want the finish to come out well. You may end up spending more on decent tooling to make it come out good than you would just buying a better rep out of the box so that’s something to bear in mind

jimcon11

Known Member
25/6/17
I've seen a few people here do it, and honestly I have no idea how. I tried with a dremel and the results were not even passable--I couldn't keep a consistent angle or taper it smoothly. I'd love to see a good tutorial on how it's done right.

Here's a good shot of what I would call ideal for no crownguard Submariners

Z7KXJP611187b7ac13e3ef3.jpg

Last edited:

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
I've seen a few people here do it, and honestly I have no idea how. I tried with a dremel and the results were not even passable--I couldn't keep a consistent angle or taper it smoothly. I'd love to see a good tutorial on how it's done right.

Here's a good shot of what I would call ideal for no crownguard Submariners

Z7KXJP611187b7ac13e3ef3.jpg

You have to analyze the chanfer by the way a drill press would need. (so, basic knowledge of how a drill press work need it)
Start with permanent ink on the case to mark exactly the shape you need to create.
Fix an horizontal plate of metal (leveled) near your jig saw.
Fix your dremel or drill at the jig saw in the angle that you need it.
Find a couple of new, small, pink (or green) drill bits that will be almost leveled since they are new.
Practice the route (s) of the case that you need to, many times with your drill switched off.
Start your carving in very small steps.
When you think that you are close to desirable shape, finish the shape with needle files by hand.
You can "polish" the surface with wrapped sand paper on your files. (your example surface looks like 600gritt but i can't be sure).

Enjoy your built in a clear area, use protective glasses and short sleeves. Don't rush, stainless its hard to be destroyed by a single mistake.

It is better to try it without any kind of motorized tools, just your files, but you need the basic filling knowledge of using files on metal.

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
You have to analyze the chanfer by the way a drill press would need. (so, basic knowledge of how a drill press work need it)
Start with permanent ink on the case to mark exactly the shape you need to create.
Fix an horizontal plate of metal (leveled) near your jig saw.
Fix your dremel or drill at the jig saw in the angle that you need it.
Find a couple of new, small, pink (or green) drill bits that will be almost leveled since they are new.
Practice the route (s) of the case that you need to, many times with your drill switched off.
Start your carving in very small steps.
When you think that you are close to desirable shape, finish the shape with needle files by hand.
You can "polish" the surface with wrapped sand paper on your files. (your example surface looks like 600gritt but i can't be sure).

Enjoy your built in a clear area, use protective glasses and short sleeves. Don't rush, stainless its hard to be destroyed by a single mistake.

It is better to try it without any kind of motorized tools, just your files, but you need the basic filling knowledge of using files on metal.

Sounds quite easy LOL

jimcon11

Known Member
25/6/17
it won't be fun otherwise... ;)

Yeah I mean thank you for the tips but as someone with virtually no metal working experience, I have no idea what any of that meant.

Someone could become a legend around here by posting like a full step by step tutorial with pictures of the process...:dr3m3l:

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
Yeah I mean thank you for the tips but as someone with virtually no metal working experience, I have no idea what any of that meant.

Someone could become a legend around here by posting like a full step by step tutorial with pictures of the process...:dr3m3l:

If you don't have experience it's better have a modder do it for you. Fair priced (as far as i know) and minimum risk for your watch.

steve3sc

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
30/6/15
I have tried many, many times to make those levels, and ruined many, many cases in the attempts. In my experience, i cannot produce good-looking, even, or symmetrical chamfers with any type of dremel (I have tried 4 different models, with all manner of attachments) or a drill press.
I know its not what you want to hear, but the truth of the matter is that it takes an experienced craftsman, using professional precision tools, to cut those chamfers and make them come out right.
I have had marginal success with using needle files and sandpaper (120 grit all the way up to 3000), on a small scale, but I finally had to accept the fact that cutting bevels requires more skill than I possess. Its frustrating and it sucks, but maybe you can save yourself some money, time, and frustration by finding a modder who can do it for you.

Ive heard that a lapping machine is the way to go, but never used one personally.

When it comes to chamfers/levels, we all pray at the alter of Dbane. Rolex itself can't do it better than him.