• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why do you prefer vintage watches?

jfdupuis

14/5/10
For me it's the look of older watches and the fact that it's already scratched up and "old" so I feel better using it without the fear of scratching it up.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

jimcon11

Known Member
25/6/17
I prefer them because the designs are way more beautiful to me. Wrist watches were once an important part of life for just about everyone and vintage watches are examples of the industrial design of their time. They had a serious intent and they are pieces of history.

Modern mechanical watches are undeniably superfluous in today's society, yet they are still produced thanks to some shady cartelization and rebranding as luxurious status symbols. The designs are bulky, ostentatious, and to me very ugly, as I would never want to wear a watch to signal anything to anyone.
​​​​​​

watchengsketch

21/5/17
Spot on jimcon11. I couldn't have said it better myself. In addition to all of those points, I would also add that the smaller size appeals to me much more. The restraint in the size really makes it that much more beautiful on the wrist.

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
I prefer them because the designs are way more beautiful to me. Wrist watches were once an important part of life for just about everyone and vintage watches are examples of the industrial design of their time. They had a serious intent and they are pieces of history.

Modern mechanical watches are undeniably superfluous in today's society, yet they are still produced thanks to some shady cartelization and rebranding as luxurious status symbols. The designs are bulky, ostentatious, and to me very ugly, as I would never want to wear a watch to signal anything to anyone.
​​​​​​

I echo all of these thoughts exactly. I mean the design and charm of years ago far outweigh the newness of a watch of today. I had this thought about the new GMT Pepsi last year.

This watch will look that way for most of its life. , yes the case will show wear but the dial and bezel insert will never really age or gain patina or character. The insert may chip or gauge but it will never be flattering or anywhere as cool as a vintage aluminum or bakelite insert will

Where as the vintage watch I feel look better because of this patina and age. It made me think of the Dean Martin quote " I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." a modern rolex will never look better than the day it was bought. where as a vintage watch ages like fine scotch.

like I mean come on... this watch is spectacular!

Julian13

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/12/15
I echo all of these thoughts exactly. I mean the design and charm of years ago far outweigh the newness of a watch of today. I had this thought about the new GMT Pepsi last year.

This watch will look that way for most of its life. , yes the case will show wear but the dial and bezel insert will never really age or gain patina or character. The insert may chip or gauge but it will never be flattering or anywhere as cool as a vintage aluminum or bakelite insert will

Where as the vintage watch I feel look better because of this patina and age. It made me think of the Dean Martin quote " I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." a modern rolex will never look better than the day it was bought. where as a vintage watch ages like fine scotch.

like I mean come on... this watch is spectacular!

I have to agree with Johnathan. The new designs wear so much bulkier and they don’t feel the same. Even the way tritium ages is so satisfying. It makes the modern dials look a little cheesy to be honest.

Tudordave

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/1/19
I love a mix of old and new in my collection, having said that, the new watches I have are the Tudor BB 58 and the Tudor Ranger Heritage, so I guess I still like the old style designs. How does everyone feel about old replica versus old real? I have a replica vintage sub and a real vintage Omega Seamaster 300 and enjoy wearing both????

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
It comes down to two things for me, craft and aesthetics.
The best way I can explain what I mean by craft is to use an analogy. Today, we’re experts at mass production of the exact same thing. But it’s in that relentless machine built homogeny that we lose the traces of hand craftsmanship. So take brick for example. It used to be produced in beehive kilns of clay hand mixed in small moulds. It resulted in variation of the bricks. But if you look at old buildings there is a beauty to the variations. Now compare that with a strip mall, homogenous red brick wall. Relentlessly, perfectly the same red brick. Maybe someone finds beauty in that kind of sameness - but not me.
The other part is an aesthetic preference. I am partial to the size, profiles of parts, materials, and feel of vintage watches.
Vintage took watches generally come in a modest size range of 36mm-40mm - a good size for me.
Plexi crystals, while not scratch resistant like sapphire, come in delightful profiles and heights. IMO adding tot he charm and character of the watches.
Thinner cases and chamfered (or eased when well worn) edges provide a thinner profile and apparent mass on the wrist.
Bakelite and aluminum inserts show some semblance of craft and variation of the manufacturing process. Uniformity and unrelenting perfection is a little boring.
Gilt dials, hand painted lume, etc, these show signs of craft. Something our modern machine age lacks. Where is the craft in applied indexes? It’s like craft fair hot glued jewelry!
But I will say it’s not all “old is gold” for me. I still want functionality, precision, and beauty. For instance, I’m not averse of a 3135 movement. Technically it’s superior to a 1570 (while the 15-series movements have a place in history and my heart) and I’d be thrilled to see a watch with vintage aesthetics and modern movement. It should still be a functional tool watch - water resistant - not a museum/safety deposit piece. Finally the patina matters to me. It shouldn’t look like it’s been savaged and uncared for for fifty years.
But just my thoughts.

Reactions: 369mafia

xray7

Renowned Member
1/4/18
Old Dart
Rolex's sub date has evolved from tool watch to status symbol in the eyes of the comsumef and the watch's aesthetic has kept pace to follow. The whole package as far as the 6 digit sub is simply too much.

The older watches have far more character and are less jewellery. If someone handed me a new 6 digit today, I'd sell it to buy a 16800.

Reactions: bigtiddygothgf