• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

60’s 1016 explorer build on a budget

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Wanted to build a early 1016 with some spares in my parts bin

JMB case set
2824 clone

Raffles dial and hands
Not 1:1 accurate and isn’t impressive out of the box but it has a chapter ring and Swiss only markings.

I wanted to experiment with some aging techniques and to see if I was able to make it look GILT and somewhat resemble a water damaged glossy dial

294cef6b2eb7cf794cc54ef6a6f648f9.jpg

When my lume kit arrives I may add an exclamation point at 6

Using a combination of air brush paints and a semi gloss clear coat finish. I aged the hand lume to match

e3cb1590876151b76943009528a5b6f7.jpg

I achieved some decent results that I am happy with.

Assembly and here we have it

af6de717773217aa8f697ee70b02b07a.jpg

7c1eba54d85c78d5f7b8798fc4a2373e.jpg

6af3ffea92e9701b0d7d447fbf2b82a7.jpg

Thanks for looking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bitboy

Horology Curious
12/6/19
That looks really good, congratulations and wear it with pride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: 369mafia

Mendota

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/10/08
MN
Very nice work! Can you share what technique you used to create that awesome looking patina on the markers? Did you air brush the whole dial surface or just the markers, text and chapter ring? I love the texture on the dial, too.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Very nice work! Can you share what technique you used to create that awesome looking patina on the markers? Did you air brush the whole dial surface or just the markers, text and chapter ring? I love the texture on the dial, too.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Yes pretty much....A mix of a a candy brown and candy yellow that are semi transparent mixed with some water to thin it even more....light coats and then a coat of clear for texture I was originally going to attempt more of a tropical look but it after doing the first coat I liked how it looked so stopped there. Next order from raffles I am going to get a few more of these dial and experiment a bit more with a few different ideas .

Mendota

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/10/08
MN
Yes pretty much....A mix of a a candy brown and candy yellow that are semi transparent mixed with some water to thin it even more....light coats and then a coat of clear for texture I was originally going to attempt more of a tropical look but it after doing the first coat I liked how it looked so stopped there. Next order from raffles I am going to get a few more of these dial and experiment a bit more with a few different ideas .

Wow. That's really cool and it looks fantastic. So you hit the whole dial with it?

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Wow. That's really cool and it looks fantastic. So you hit the whole dial with it?

Yup, I mixed the two colours of the candy in the cup of the gun...then tested it until I got the colour desired then hit it with a light coat I did focus more so on the lume plots and text but the overspray covered the dial I was pleasantly surprised that the colour I mixed does resemble a gilt tone. once I ran out of paint I added a few drops of water in the gun to clean it out..and gave the dial a light spray of a watered down paint tone and water that gave it some of the water droplets once dry I give it a coat of the clear coat and sealed in the paint and gave the dial texture.

arayo

Known Member
14/2/19
Looks too good!
It is definitely one of my grail watch.
If only you sell them, ill definitely buy it from you! :eek: