• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

6610 Gilt Dial EXPLORER build ... Twin Sisters

jimcon11

Known Member
25/6/17
Mendota Anything white in the digital file will be clear on the decal and the substrate will show through, brass, gold, etc.

There's like an entire 50 page thread on it :woo:

Last edited:

jimcon11

Known Member
25/6/17
manodeoroI would pick a movement based on the best hands available. Can you share your sources on the hands? The only semi-correct looking 13mm minute hand I'm aware of is this one from Raffles, available for DG and ETA.

13mm is actually really long. On my Ruby 6538 case, a full 26mm chapter ring is almost at the edge of the rehaut. The dials I make have a 25mm chapter ring. I could maybe push it to 25.5mm, any more and the "swiss" stamp would be cut off. Maybe on your cases a 26mm chapter ring will work..

My method for cutting down and modding the JK hour hand and Raffles minute hand is posted here. This is the only way to get good hands without going gen that I'm aware of. Most rep hands look like the service hand style, not as nice in my opinion

I totally agree with Jsebwc that the thinner 3 6 9 are crucial to the balanced look of the 6610 dial.

jimcon11

Known Member
25/6/17
To be 100% honest gilt decal dials are not real negative gilt cause there is no real negative relief.
They look really good (or more than good when Bart works on it) but the gilt part is seen through the decal film only.

For those 6610 dials I will try the film-free product from sunnyscopa and, if everything works well, the gilt parts will show directly without any film over
So it should look better but there still won't be real negative relief as the laser printing is too thin.

With the silk-print tools I have ordered, received and STILL NOT tested :p the result will be a real negative relief as the ink will have a better thickness, not as thick as a when using a pad-print method but better nevertheless.
But I won't be abler to show anything until September or October ... not enough free time

I'm not sure this is really a big issue, as the decal film isn't much different from a layer of clear coat, which these gloss dials were all hit with. The issue is the texture of the decal film, i.e. getting rid of it, and getting a really pro looking and deep, yet fairly thin gloss finish. I have some ideas for doing this based on automotive finishing, the details are in the decal thread.

​​​​​​I think decal dials have huge untapped potential. Still, I appreciate that you are working on new techniques that might prove better for us ;)

Last edited:

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
manodeoroI would pick a movement based on the best hands available. Can you share your sources on the hands? The only semi-correct looking 13mm minute hand I'm aware of is this one from Raffles, available for DG and ETA.

13mm is actually really long. On my Ruby 6538 case, a full 26mm chapter ring is almost at the edge of the rehaut. The dials I make have a 25mm chapter ring. I could maybe push it to 25.5mm, any more and the "swiss" stamp would be cut off. Maybe on your cases a 26mm chapter ring will work..

My method for cutting down and modding the JK hour hand and Raffles minute hand is posted here. This is the only way to get good hands without going gen that I'm aware of. Most rep hands look like the service hand style, not as nice in my opinion

I totally agree with Jsebwc that the thinner 3 6 9 are crucial to the balanced look of the 6610 dial.

Hi ... I've seen your thread and already tried your method about modding your hands ... great idea and easier than it sounds before trying so thanks a lot !!!

The rehaut diameter on my cases is about 27.4mm so a 25 mm chapter ring looks to fat from the rehaut.
On the designs I have posted the main black part is 27.4mm and the chapter ring is 26mm and it looks perfect compared to a gen pic.
So the problem will be to source (and modd) a correct a 13mm minutes hand ... will keep you informed when I get it and will share a link.

About the 3 6 9 thickness ... I will possibly thin them a little but only after trying to print first.
With my printer I have checked that the white/gloss parts always look thinner than on the screen, that why I always design them a little fat.
Perhaps I've been to far here :p so I will print and check and thin it if needed ... always one step after another, that's what I like in our hobby.

Last edited:

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16

Update about dial design and 13mm minute hand.

First I have checked and checked again on Illustrator to compare 6610 dials and my design.
First I have "cut" Gens dials front pic at the rehaut and increase them to the same size as the rehaut on my cases (27,4mm) and measured the chapter ring diameter on the Gen dials ... definitely 26mm.
So I know that mine should be 26mm and that I need a 13mm minute hand to fit.
And the second hand should be the same size.
Then I have measured, on the same pics (without changing size) the diameter of the circle touched by the hour hand ... 16mm.
So the hour hand should be 8mm from tip to center hole.
8/13/13 ... sounds like early 6538 hand size if I'm true.
I know the Helenarou used to have those handset years later so I checked the website and YES they have it ... only silver and no gold plated.
I've sent an email to Mk to ask if he could get one though they not advertised on the website and ... BINGO !!! :p the answer is "we can have it in gold too".
As I also need the same handset in silver for the A/6538 V2 I'm building I have sent an order to Mk today ... 2 silver 8/13/13 handsets and 2 gold plated 8/13/13 handsets.

It seems thing are going the right way :)
Plus the film-free decal set I have ordered from sunnyscopa is already arrived in France so I should receive it next week and possibly do my first tests before my summer vacation.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
This is my grail of the 6610 line if you are going to print a dial do a red depth!!
the hour hand also is longer - similar to the variation on the 6350 that was offered.

WOW !!! huge hour hand and huge lollipop :p
Looks like they fit a 6200 handset in that 6610
Honestly I have no idea where to source such a handset ... apart from buying a $150 handset from jewelryandwatch
And you'll still have to source a movement that can fit 1.32/0.80/0.20 hands
ETA 2840 hands are 1.5/0.90/0.25 ... I have already downsized tubes on hour wheels and cannon pinion but sanding a second wheel from 0.25 to 0.20 could be much more tricky
Jsebwc ... I can check if my cases could receive a 1030 or 1530 movement if you have one ;)

Reactions: 369mafia

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Hi guys :)
I'm not here for an update today ... just to get your opinion about bracelets :p

I have checked on the net and it seems I have only 2 options (bracelet and endlinks numbers just for info ... cases are not engraved) :
1 - Original - 7206 rivet bracelet with 58 endlinks
2 - Service - 78360 oyster bracelet with 580 endlinks

7206 would give the 6610 a more "untouched" look but some prefer the 78360 felling on the wrist.
What do you think about that ??? ;)

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Well ... seems it will be rivet :p

I just worked a little on the dial desing yesterday evening.
3/6/9 are thinner
Everything still look a little bold but when printed and on the gilt dial plate it always looks thinner so I(ll try like this and redo if needed

SIMUL-190621.jpg

Reactions: Palace and 369mafia

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
oh man that red depth is gorgeous!! I call dibs! LOL

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
oh man that red depth is gorgeous!! I call dibs! LOL

Thanks ... I made the 3/6/9 thinner just after your post ;)

I'll do some tests <ith standard decal paper next week but I can't wait to see how is the result with the film-free decal I have ordered.

Dpap

Renowned Member
Gold Patron
Certified
20/6/13
I think both the think and thick 369 dials are correct, and also have seen examples with short and long hour hands.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Yesterday I received some new stuff for dial making so today I did some tests.
I still have to train get good control of the method but I’m pretty happy with the results.
No more film on the dial plate so the gilt is ...

5ec27dba2f9c94482798fe01b0be56a2.jpg

19eb397e12ee6b86a66ad23464056e1f.jpg

37f00b2147a5bd85e4af666fc67a280c.jpg

d71831a30180c39585c94d3fae30a061.jpg

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
These look already very good!

Last edited:

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Holy crow those look awesome for a first attempt! glad to see the decal transfers work !! Oh man!! Nice work brother !

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
These look already very good!

Thanks buddy ;) they look better in real but I'm pretty bad at shooting pics.
What is amazing is that he shine is always there, no matter how strong is the light and where it comes from :)

But after doing that first and quick test and "analysing" the problems, I see the way I should go to make them better ... I feel I could go closer to the Gen look, apart from the real relief because of lack of thickness of the ink.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Holy crow those look awesome for a first attempt! glad to see the decal transfers work !! Oh man!! Nice work brother !

Red Depth next time my friend :p

I have encountered some problems I will have to solve but that method is really great.
And I'm pretty certain I can use it for other purpose that just making gilt dials ... plenty of ideas I won't speak about until I've done some tests.