• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

6610 Gilt Dial EXPLORER build ... Twin Sisters

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Hi guys … I’m back here with a new funny project

A few weeks ago I was looking at vintage watches on the net and I saw that beauty …

VFP1zG.jpg

not a 1016 but something a little older … 6610 with a negative gilt dial

As I had a 36mm cases somewhere in my drawers, waiting for dial and movement, I have decided I could try to build my own 6610.
I searched for the case and saw that I had 2 similar cases … so I have finally decided to build two of that model … sort of « Twin Sisters »

Last edited:

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
The 2 cases come from cheap watches, one from Silix and the other from DHGate, but I’m certain they have potential.

VFGAXe.jpg

Last edited:

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
So here are some comparative pics … Silix left / DHGate right

VFPDzZ.jpg

VFPVxT.jpg

VFPZdR.jpg

Reactions: thumbsarehandy

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
The rehaut diameters are almost good to fit a T21 … I will just have to enlarge a little the inside diameters of the bezels.

Of course the middle cases will have to be reshaped as they are too thick … and the casebacks will be modded to look as « semi-bubble back ».

VFPzJf.jpg

VFPbfy.jpg

Nothing more to show for now …

I’m working on the dials so I’ll come back with more pics in a few days.

jimcon11

Known Member
25/6/17
I like the look of this project. Rep builders are always adding way too much chunk to what should be svelte Rolex cases:thumbdown:

What are you doing for dials, decal print?

Hands on the gen you posted don't appear to be original. They look like later Explorer/sub hands.

Last edited:

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
I like the look of this project. Rep builders are always adding way too much chunk to what should be svelte Rolex cases:thumbdown:

What are you doing for dials, decal print?

Hands on the gen you posted don't appear to be original. They look like later Explorer/sub hands.

Decal prints on gold plated dial plates.
About the hands ... all the 6610 I've seen have the same hands so I don't know.
Nevertheless I'll be glad to see other pics if you have

Reactions: 369mafia

jimcon11

Known Member
25/6/17
Decal prints on gold plated dial plates.
About the hands ... all the 6610 I've seen have the same hands so I don't know.
Nevertheless I'll be glad to see other pics if you have

Mind sharing the method you are using to gold plate the dials? For my next project I am definitely going to be trying that, for me the brass is too dark most of the time.

Compare these hands to the pic above. The hour hand has a bigger Mercedes circle and thinner structure overall. The minute hand is longer and the lume plot is wider, and it's also less sharp at the tip. These are the classic 50s Sub and explorer hands. I'm pretty sure the one you posted has some relatively early service hands fitted (although it's possible they used this style of hands concurrently).

Last edited:

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Mind sharing the method you are using to gold plate the dials? For my next project I am definitely going to be trying that, for me the brass is too dark most of the time.

Compare these hands to the pic above. The hour hand has a bigger Mercedes circle and thinner structure overall. The minute hand is longer and the lume plot is wider, and it's also less sharp at the tip. These are the classic 50s Sub and explorer hands. I'm pretty sure the one you posted has some relatively early service hands fitted (although it's possible they used this style of hands concurrently).

I'm using a modified pen plating kit ... didn't work well at first cause the amperage was too low (up to 3A max) so I got a 5A power supply and it works not that bad.
I tried to plate a stainless steel case but it didn't work ... I suppose I should get something more powerfull.

About the hands you're true, but I've seen both sizes and shapes of hands on 6610 watches HQ Milton website so I suppose they are both legit.
I'll check the size of mine and I'll definitely will rework the lume plots to make them wider (must do the same on my A/6538 BTW).

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
I still don't have my own lathe so today I packed the twin cases, along with my A/6538 V2 case and blueprints of what I want to be done, to be sent to my good friend mascob1 a real pro and a really nice guy.
I've just asked him to thin the cases on the upper side, about 0,5 to 0,8 mm and I'll do the rest of the job at home.

So I've worked a little on the twin dials.

I started with 29,4mm sterile dials from Raffles Times, cause they are cgeap and come with both DG2813 and A2824-2 dial feet so I can choose later about the movements I'll use (of course I'll choose before ordering the gold plate handsets).
Those dials are not only painted but also coated before, so I had to remove the paint with ammonia then sand the coating with 1200 grade.
Here is a pic of the 3 steps of the process

VFhjsQ.jpg

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Then I've sanded them down with 800 grade to thin them a little ... that will compensate the thickness that will be added by the decal and the lacquer

VFhLVf.jpg

Then 1200 grade, 9 microns grade and polish

VFhORy.jpg

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
On those dials I want to try a new stuff, film-free decal I have ordered some days ago ... it comes from Korea so I'll have to wait a little.
So the twin dials will wait too, wrapped in watchmaker paper and stored it that little box

VFh4Ip.jpg

So I'm switching on another build ... 34mm (so correct size) 14000 Air-King ... until the cases come back to me to be finished, or the film-free decal paper show-up in my letter box.
Will keep you informed as soon as I can ;)

jimcon11

Known Member
25/6/17
Nice work, looks like the process of preparing the dial I am used to:drinks_cheers:

Did you notice a big difference in the dials before and after gold plating? Your before and after pics look very similar to me although I realize that the luster of a metal is something extremely hard to capture in quick photos. I'm loathe to spend $100 on a gold plating kit unless it will make a significant difference vs the bare brass. My issue is that the brass is either shining like crazy or just too dark, almost disappearing at times. The real things seem to have more consistent glow at most angles, from what I've seen.

Last edited:

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Nice work, looks like the process of preparing the dial I am used to:drinks_cheers:

Did you notice a big difference in the dials before and after gold plating? Your before and after pics look very similar to me although I realize that the luster of a metal is something extremely hard to capture in quick photos. I'm loathe to spend $100 on a gold plating kit unless it will make a significant difference vs the bare brass. My issue is that the brass is either shining like crazy or just too dark, almost disappearing at times. The real things seem to have more consistent glow at most angles, from what I've seen.

It seems dials are not pure brass but aloys so the color and shiny effect could depend on the composition.
Those ones are really "clear", almost like gold, and YES the "before/after" difference is tiny, "after" being just a little more clear and yellowish.

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Excellent thread, I'm looking forward to see the next steps

Reactions: Palace

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Great project, I look forward to the next steps.

I would like to learn more about the gold plating process. If you have a moment could you share a link or create a tutorial on it?

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
definitely want to watch this project...great job on the plating so far!!

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Excellent thread, I'm looking forward to see the next steps

definitely want to watch this project...great job on the plating so far!!

Thanks guys ... you'll have to wait about 2 weeks for new post on that thread as I'm waiting for some tools I have ordered and my cases to come back from mascob1 after he's done his magic lathe work.