• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

1680 Single Red Build Finished!........for now.

Deepseadweller1989

Known Member
14/7/17
Finally got round to finishing off my 1680 build :D
Spec as follows:

Aged Cartel case and softened beveled edges
WSO Endlinks with lugs drilled to accept gen 2mm springbars
Slight reshape to crown guards
Athaya 702 Crown & Tube
Aged & Bleached Insert and aged bezel pip
Vietnam Dial
Vintage lumed hands
Yuki bracelet & Clasp

Let me know what you guys think!

Reactions: deadpan

Dan71

Renowned Member
24/4/15
Italy
Nice
But the Vietnam dial is 26.5mm diameter
The cartel 1680 dial seat/window is 26mm diameter

Do you have enlarge the dial seat /window ? Which tools do you use ?

Mr Seamaster

Renowned Member
27/4/12
Looks good so far. Bezel is over aged imo.

I had the same, best is to make the dial smaller to make it fit to the case.

I used 600 paper to make it smaller.

2e60c5973b8682105feb22530f50ae02.jpg

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/8/11
The watch looks great. Where did you acquire the case? Is it gen spec, if you wanted to drop a gen movement inside? Also, did you shave the dial seat? I’m trying to plan a build myself and I was looking for a good gen spec case as a base.

Deepseadweller1989

Known Member
14/7/17
Yes, the bracelet is a 93250 bracelet from Yuki so it's not as rattly as the original one it came with. The case was one of the many 1680s that puretime offer. I bought the most expensive one they sold. The bezel is bi-directional so it turns both clock wise and anti clockwise as per gen.

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Looks good so far. Bezel is over aged imo.

I had the same, best is to make the dial smaller to make it fit to the case.

I used 600 paper to make it smaller.

2e60c5973b8682105feb22530f50ae02.jpg

Nice insert and a lovely aging. Less is more:cool:

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Nice
But the Vietnam dial is 26.5mm diameter
The cartel 1680 dial seat/window is 26mm diameter

Do you have enlarge the dial seat /window ? Which tools do you use ?
Sanding down a dial isn't too difficult using a sanding block, it just needs to be done carefully to avoid damaging the dial print/lume. I've also fitted a dial onto a dremel and used the dremel as a lathe.

IHHdj.jpg

IH3I1.jpg

With the dial spinning, gently press your sanding block against the edge.

Reactions: KJ2020 and deadpan

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Sanding down a dial isn't too difficult using a sanding block, it just needs to be done carefully to avoid damaging the dial print/lume. I've also fitted a dial onto a dremel and used the dremel as a lathe.

IHHdj.jpg

IH3I1.jpg

With the dial spinning, gently press your sanding block against the edge.

Seems a sensible solution. I’d be scared to try it on a Ruby’s dial though, for fear of the markers, and indeed the paint from flying off. Those dials are really fragile!

Last edited:

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Seems a sensible solution. I’d be scared to try it on a Ruby’s dial though, for fear of the markers, and indeed the paint from flying off. Those dials are really fragile!
Yes, good point muiramas - I really should add that this is something I've only done on a blank dial that was being used for decal printing (as can be seen in the photos). However, I've seen pics from another member who used the same technique for a printed dial, so with care and suitable padding it can be done. But I'm way too clumsy and accident prone to risk resizing an expensive printed dial this way!

deadpan

1/6/19
Over the horizon
Yes, good point muiramas - I really should add that this is something I've only done on a blank dial that was being used for decal printing (as can be seen in the photos). However, I've seen pics from another member who used the same technique for a printed dial, so with care and suitable padding it can be done. But I'm way too clumsy and accident prone to risk resizing an expensive printed dial this way!

I’ve been toying with the idea of buying one of those dremel work stations. How is it? (Specifically for watch related things?)

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I’ve been toying with the idea of buying one of those dremel work stations. How is it? (Specifically for watch related things?)
It's a decent, reasonably stable bit of kit - certainly good value for money. It acts perfectly well as a replacement for hand-holding the dremel. I haven't tried using it as a drill press, because I also have a dedicated drill press and I'm not convinced that the dremel workstation would provide the necessary stability for the sort of precision needed for drill press work (in drilling lug holes, for instance).

Reactions: KJ2020

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17

Of all the solutions, yours is the one that works. I've lost a few plots on a Ruby dial before - which they replaced without question - but it was a lesson that their paint and lume is extraordinarily brittle. I guess like you say it is just very careful padding and protection before you begin

The question of dial shaving is relevant to me as I have a cartel 1680 incoming from Sead. With no 26mm dial available it seems my options are shaving down an expensive dial, or re-finishing the dial that it comes with. I've refinished a Serpico dial I had which had a dirty uneven gloss finish and crusty green lume - just a flat matt wash to eliminate the reflection and make the plots and type 'pop' and some lighter matt lacquer applied to the lume to raise it a bit and make it less powdery looking (pic). I'm a graphic designer, so detailed arty stuff is easier for me. Give me a power tool, even a dremmel and I'll only wreck things or make them worse.

The problem with refinishing the dial is I'll probably wreck the keyless again - my fingers are too podgy for movement work.

IMG-3044.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: p0pperini

Dan71

Renowned Member
24/4/15
Italy
[mention]p0pperini [/mention] yes I know but is not nice see the minute tracking cover or reduced ...

See my gen dial with a cartel 1680 to which was enlarge dial window / dial seat (by Rolexaddict) and show all the minute tracking like the genuine .

Maybe we can attached in some way the middlecase to a dremel for enlarge dial window and dial seat?

52113e60cacf36b42b0a66b507a7e359.jpg

Last edited:

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
[mention]p0pperini [/mention] yes I know but is not nice see the minute tracking cover or reduced ...

See my gen dial with a cartel 1680 to which was enlarge dial window / dial seat (by Rolexaddict) and show all the minute tracking like the genuine .

Maybe we can attached in some way the middlecase to a dremel for enlarge dial window and dial seat?

52113e60cacf36b42b0a66b507a7e359.jpg

Oh sure - I get what you mean. If the dial has a chapter ring then no, you don't want to lose it under the rehaut. But if the case required this sort of work, I think I'd rather send it to an expert who can make the adjustment on a lathe.

Reactions: Dan71