• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

TS v.s. Vietnam 6542 - What an Extra $1,200 Gets You (Gif Comparison)

Fastman119

10/1/19
Fellow RWI member kilowattore already made a terrific photo comparison of the Vietnam v.s. TS Watch 6542 here - https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...-high-end-case so I’ll keep this short and sweet, but I thought I’d make a post examining the two using gifs for my own curiosity.

Here they are, compared below -

Specs:

TS Watch:
  • “Hand Made” Vintage Rolex ref.6542 A2836
  • Transfer fees + conversion rate
All in ~ $535.00

Vietnam:
  • Vietnam Dial
  • Vietnam Case/bezel assembly/case back
  • DG3804B low beat GMT
  • Handset
  • Roulette DWO
  • Aftermarket Crystal
  • Rolex NOS 6 mm crown
  • 7206 rivet bracelet
All in, with labor ~ $1,750.00

So with an extra ~$1,200, what do you really get in return?

VxuicU.jpg

Major Differences:
  • Subtle difference in case thickness/lug lines
  • Gilted dial quality/refinement
  • Metallic bezel ring
  • Case lug holes
  • Bracelet authenticity
  • Lower movement BPH
VxuXcd.gif

Vx6uRy.gif

Vx6EmG.gif

First and foremost, the real million dollar difference that puts the viet build in a league of its own is the dial quality. It’s honestly hard to describe how good the gilting/gold details are on the Vietnam dial - the reflectiveness of the gold and that wavey black goodness of the gilt give the dial a whole different layer of authenticity.

VxumoR.gif

VxuAWg.gif

When it comes to the case, I’m honestly surprised with how subtle the differences in dimensions/lines are. The viet case is subtly thinner, and the curvature of the lug lines have a more dramatic curtailment towards the end. When looking face-on, the edges of the viet case seem more rounded as well, and the brushed steel finishing of the viet case is definitely better than the TS watch.

Vx6Dha.gif

These differences are brought even more to life when looking at the watch from about 5 feet away - the dial of the viet build immediately ‘pops’ off the wrist and catches the light in so many fascinating ways, whereas the TS build seems to come across as more muted and subdued.

Vxu3mZ.gif

Another small difference is depth of the case holes where the pushpins of the bracelet attached to the watch. The Viet case's push-pins seem to completely fill the case holes, although I will say the size of the case holes don’t seem to be observably bigger/smaller with the TS case.

VxuHh2.gif

One big item that becomes more obvious when feeling the watch is the quality of the bezel ring. On the Viet build it’s actually metallic, and the ring on mine was aged a bit to give it more of a yellowed shine, whereas the TS bezel ring feels like it was made from some sort of plastic when touched, and the tiny rivets have a different spacing.

Vx6poq.gif

Just as it was with the vietnam v.s. cartel 1675 (https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...-you-pic-heavy), all of the tiny details of the viet 6542 add up to produce a completely different experience with the watch.

While the differences between these two were a lot less obvious up front, the viet build really embodies the era that the watch was created in to an entirely different degree. It truly feels vintage - like Hans Wilsdorf himself could’ve slapped the logo on the dial in a time where Rolex was a scrappy startup struggling to compete with the big guys.

If you guys want to learn more about the fascinating history behind the 6542, here is an amazing video that explains just that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfLO1S7YfX0

Another huge shoutout to tripdog for building this beautiful creation - he's the absolute man :)

Last edited:

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
This is a fantastic comparison. The vietnam details really do the watch justice. The TSWATCH seems to be a good value for the money, but it needs a vietnam dial and hands, maybe even the bezel and insert need replacement too.

Reactions: Fastman119

dharma

F.a.i.g.a. addicted
13/11/14
The Hive
I have a fantastic 6542 S&L by Tripdog, recently serviced and upgraded with a wonderful roulette DW by Riji perfectly mounted and centered by my friend eddy@manu, and i have to tell you that the sensation to own something unique absolutely worth the expense......TS 6542 is ok for the cost, you can buy it and feel the watch on your wrist, and if u fall in love with it, then u can pull the trigger on a Viet one.....

http://
x4qidi.jpg

Reactions: Fastman119

Fastman119

10/1/19
I have a fantastic 6542 S&L by Tripdog, recently serviced and upgraded with a wonderful roulette DW by Riji perfectly mounted and centered by my friend eddy@manu, and i have to tell you that the sensation to own something unique absolutely worth the expense......TS 6542 is ok for the cost, you can buy it and feel the watch on your wrist, and if u fall in love with it, then u can pull the trigger on a Viet one.....

http://
x4qidi.jpg

That's so funny, your watch was actually the inspiration for my build! Such a beautiful piece man, truly one of a kind. You're lucky to have that beauty, wear it with pride :drinks_cheers:

dharma

F.a.i.g.a. addicted
13/11/14
The Hive
That's so funny, your watch was actually the inspiration for my build! Such a beautiful piece man, truly one of a kind. You're lucky to have that beauty, wear it with pride :drinks_cheers:

Good luck with your project, i wait to see your masterpiece here!!!!

Fastman119

10/1/19
Reposting since the gif's died!

Fellow RWI member kilowattore already made a terrific photo comparison of the Vietnam v.s. TS Watch 6542 here - https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...-high-end-case so I’ll keep this short and sweet, but I thought I’d make a post examining the two using gifs for my own curiosity.

Here they are, compared below -

Specs:
TS Watch:
  • “Hand Made” Vintage Rolex ref.6542 A2836
  • Transfer fees + conversion rate
All in ~ $535.00

Vietnam
:
  • Vietnam Dial
  • Vietnam Case/bezel assembly/case back
  • DG3804B low beat GMT
  • Handset
  • Roulette DWO
  • Aftermarket Crystal
  • Rolex NOS 6 mm crown
  • 7206 rivet bracelet
All in, with labor ~ $1,750.00

So with an extra ~$1,200, what do you really get in return?

zoUJID.gif

Major Differences:
  • Subtle difference in case thickness/lug lines
  • Gilted dial quality/refinement
  • Metallic bezel ring
  • Case lug holes
  • Bracelet authenticity
  • Lower movement BPH

zoUSn3.gif

zoU0ss.gif

zoWZQP.gif

First and foremost, the real million-dollar difference that puts the viet build in a league of its own is the dial quality. It’s honestly hard to describe how good the gilting/gold details are on the Vietnam dial - the reflectiveness of the gold and that wavey black goodness of the gilt give the dial a whole different layer of authenticity.

zoUGhn.gif

zoUVXk.gif

When it comes to the case, I’m honestly surprised with how subtle the differences in dimensions/lines are. The viet case is subtly thinner, and the curvature of the lug lines have a more dramatic curtailment towards the end. When looking face-on, the edges of the viet case seem more rounded as well, and the brushed steel finishing of the viet case is definitely better than the TS watch.

zoUcxo.gif

These differences are brought even more to life when looking at the watch from about 5 feet away - the dial of the viet build immediately ‘pops’ off the wrist and catches the light in so many fascinating ways, whereas the TS build seems to come across as more muted and subdued.

zoWDUJ.gif

zoUxZY.gif

Another small difference is depth of the case holes where the pushpins of the bracelet attached to the watch. The Viet case's push-pins seem to completely fill the case holes, although I will say the size of the case holes don’t seem to be observably bigger/smaller with the TS case.

One big item that becomes more obvious when feeling the watch is the quality of the bezel ring. On the Viet build it’s actually metallic, and the ring on mine was aged a bit to give it more of a yellowed shine, whereas the TS bezel ring feels like it was made from some sort of plastic when touched, and the tiny rivets have a different spacing.

Just as it was with the vietnam v.s. cartel 1675 (https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...-you-pic-heavy), all of the tiny details of the viet 6542 add up to produce a completely different experience with the watch.

While the differences between these two were a lot less obvious up front, the viet build really embodies the era that the watch was created in to an entirely different degree. It truly feels vintage - like Hans Wilsdorf himself could’ve slapped the logo on the dial in a time where Rolex was a scrappy startup struggling to compete with the big guys.

If you guys want to learn more about the fascinating history behind the 6542, here is an amazing video that explains just that:

Reactions: tanith and P..DR..D