• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

I had to help a friend, bought his Gen Rolex.Now what do I do?

SteveSS

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/2/14
A friend got into a money problem so I helped him out. I think he bought this watch in the mid 90's. The paperwork estimate was 10 years old but it says it's a Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust. The date counter is not working. Should I take it to a mom and pop jewelry store or to a Rolex dealer? I read something about Rolex parts being free. I've never owned a Gen. I guess I'll sell it on the M2M forum when it's ready.

nsk2135

1/1/17
CONUS
Sorry to hear about your friend, and you did a solid by helping him out.

I would take it to a Rolex dealer and have them check it out to see if its legit. I'm sure the community can also help you out if you have the means to open up the back.

As for fixing the thing, it's probably not under warranty anymore, which means, while R-fac will fix it (if it's 100% legit), it'll cost you. If you don't want R-fac to touch it (to preserve its vintage charm if it has any, as R-fac will replace them, or if you have any doubts as to its legitimacy), then you can also ask around the forum if somebody will fix it up for you.

Sedonut

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
31/7/17
Take it to a Rolex dealer and get an estimate before you agree to anything. You may not want to spend what it costs to fix and service.

Then look at what they are worth, you can't make a decision without good information.

Reactions: GMT1675

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
There's a fair number of watchsmiths here in the forms who can get it back in tip top running shape. Unless you want to spend the money to have Rolex certified as authentic as well as service it, this would be the best route to go

buubdaman

9/4/18
I would go to an authorised dealer for the repair. Then have it serviced by a local watchsmith. Do not have it polished!

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
Rolex parts for free?...no way,...if you are in Germany, I am happy to give you the details of my watchsmith

SteveSS

19/2/14
The site won't. allow a png image. I'll try to get a jpeg.

Nick_B

Known Member
7/7/18
"Watchsmith" ??? It's "watchmaker" :confused:. Please :D

A "smith" - as in blacksmith - is someone who works iron and steel, with a forge and hammer. The word "smith" derives from Old English "smythe" meaning to strike (think old fashioned English "smite my foes").

"Watchsmith" is just so fundamentally wrong it hurts :eek:

Martycus

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
1/10/14
CONUS
A friend got into a money problem so I helped him out. I think he bought this watch in the mid 90's. The paperwork estimate was 10 years old but it says it's a Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust. The date counter is not working. Should I take it to a mom and pop jewelry store or to a Rolex dealer? I read something about Rolex parts being free. I've never owned a Gen. I guess I'll sell it on the M2M forum when it's ready.

Here's my experience -- Take to an AD and they'll charge you to have it shipped to he nearest repair / service center, assuming you're in CONUS, either in NY, Texas or California. In a few day's you'll get an estimate of what's needed to repair including the cost for parts and labor.

If you're having it serviced, eg. cleaned and regulated, expect to pay that and the shipping up front. Once it arrives at the service center they'll completely disassemble it, inspect the parts and if they find anything off, they'll contact you and let you know of the cost. Afterwards every part is given an ultrasonic bath and it'll be reassembled.

If you do not want any visual parts replaced, e.g service hands, dials, etc be sure to have that explicitly written on the service ticket. Write in something like Rolex will reimburse the cost of a new or similar timepiece if a service / replacement part is used, sign it and give it back to them.

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
I wouldn’t send an old Datejust to Rolex for repair. You will seriously overpay for service and parts. Find a qualified watchmaker that can service it locally and it will cost you 1/3 of what Rolex will charge you. Plus if there are any aftermarket parts on it like a clasp or crystal, Rolex won’t even touch it unless you agree to pay to replace everything. With Rolex nothing is free unless it’s within the 1 year warranty. You will pay a premium for everything.

SteveSS

19/2/14
Sorry about the watchsmith thing. It sounded okay. Did not intend to offend. I got a local guy who will service it for $450 and replace the bezel for another hundred. Cheap compared to some Rolex dealers I talked to..