• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

MBW 1665 base...suggestions on what to do

mumum

Renowned Member
18/1/07
Hi everyone,

I have a MBW 1665 base that I got back in 2007. I haven't worn it in years as the bezel insert had fallen off and lost (so pearl gone too). Everything else is in great shape (MBW drsd dial, eta movement etc)...I am not good in modding I am NOT a modder and don/t pretend to have any talent beyond sizing bracelets.
What would your recomendations be with this watch? Is it a great base to build off of nowdays? What would the coarse of action you suggest if I go that route? I can source stuff and get the modders on our board to do their magic. Thanks.

rol_man

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
25/7/08
The old MBW's were very close to actual Rolex watches in those days and were good base modding watches due to the accuracy and ability to accept gen parts. If you really want a nice DRSD, contact one of the modders on the forum and see what they can do. If not, I'm sure you can list it in the watch parts sales section and someone would pick it up quickly. Just my thoughts.

mumum

Renowned Member
18/1/07
rol_man thanks for the advise...quick question before I hit some of the modders here...is there a more preferable base than the mbw to start a mod on a dsrd these days? I’ve been out of it for awhile and didn’t know if these Vietnam cases where the way to go now. Thanks again.

François.Fillon

Renowned Member
19/11/16
Vietnam cases are very good but price are very high...
So if you already have MBW case why you don't try to build/fix it yourself, this is the way to learn lot of things as well...
It is not so complicated as you think, and very plaisant to do by himself, this is the best way to begin.
Just my opinion

rol_man

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
25/7/08
Vietnam cases are very good but price are very high...
So if you already have MBW case why you don't try to build/fix it yourself, this is the way to learn lot of things as well...
It is not so complicated as you think, and very plaisant to do by himself, this is the best way to begin.
Just my opinion

Good advice!

mumum

Renowned Member
18/1/07
Appreciate the suggestions...I may try do that but honestly, my spare time is very minimal and if I get into this (which sounds interesting) my wife may "fix' me ;). I'll go the mod route for now. thanks guys.

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
Where are you located? The old MBW 1665 is a very good. It will actually fit a genuine Rolex 1570 movement also. I would reshape the crown guards, add a Gen crown and tube or Athaya 702. The Slay fat font inserts are really nice and cost $60. Get a T-39 super dome plexi for it. Get a Gen Rolex 93150 clasp for the bracelet and then you’ve got a darn good watch. The old MBW dials are very good and don’t need to be upgraded. I would just age it a bit and relume it.

Reactions: mumum

mumum

Renowned Member
18/1/07
Dizzy Im in the conus...Thanks for the suggestions that’s exactly what I’m looking for as ideas!