• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Fantasy military build completed

gunsmoke16610

FIVE-Digit
Patron
Certified
23/10/18
Military watches have always been a favorite of mine and since finding this site its been my goal to get the skills to build a fantasy military watch that would be made up form some of the greats. A watch that looks like it could have been to from the depths of hell and back and in the shape to make the trip again! A combination of Rolex 5517, Benrus Type II and Marathon Navigator are the DNA I had in mind.

The raw materials;

Helenarou unmarked 5513 mid-case and crown;

WSO bezel and retaining ring

Clarks T19 Crystal

12/24 hour dial

Diver insert: aged and weathered with spider web hazing

Yuki 5517 hands

ETA 2824-2

The smoke and mirrors;

Mid-case and crown; acid etched and brushed lightly reshaped crown guard’s to sharp PCG

Bezel and retaining ring; acid etched and anodized bronze

Clarks T19 Crystal aged

Dial; reduced from 29MM to 26.5MM diameter, aged and weathered with spider web hazing

Insert: aged and weathered with spider web hazing

hands: aged relumed

GasGasBones velcro strap

The result

VJWnLp.jpg

VJW9gD.jpg

VJWo1U.jpg

VJWxDh.jpg

VJWeks.jpg

VJWcyX.jpg

VJWTg2.jpg

VJWNk3.jpg

VJWjOZ.jpg

VJWLsR.jpg

VJWtVg.jpg

VJWrIy.jpg

VJWAOG.jpg

jimcon11

Known Member
25/6/17
That's cool, I think you pulled off the uniquely aged look. Definitely looks like a watch that could have been issued. I love military watches too.

Reactions: gunsmoke16610

gunsmoke16610

FIVE-Digit
Patron
Certified
23/10/18
That's cool, I think you pulled off the uniquely aged look. Definitely looks like a watch that could have been issued. I love military watches too.

Thank you! issued watches can have interesting wear left by interesting situations and in some cases not so interesting.

fatarms

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
9/5/12
In my pants
Definitely a unique piece. When you say spider web hazing, how did you do that?

gunsmoke16610

FIVE-Digit
Patron
Certified
23/10/18
Definitely a unique piece. When you say spider web hazing, how did you do that?

I used a gloss finish that will crack when drying, it was a PIA and I destroyed a few cheap dials doing it. Its a bit to glossy and I plan on taking it apart and applying a Matt finish and changing the hands at some point.