• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tale of a 618

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Vintage Panerai 3646
Tale of a 618

Sometimes the stars align and you are given an opportunity you have been waiting for years. This was one of those.

This was the starting point:

Rahmen_Bild_2017_3646_B_RP1.jpg

I was contacted by a fine member who had been preparing this project for a while and needed some help to make it real.
He had already got a hold of a serviced Rolex 618, just perfect for this project.

We then joined forces and contacted the best:

Esdee sent me a case and fitted the movement to a tailored movement holder.

Neckyzips took care of engraving the solid caseback kampfschwimmer style.

We needed a 2mm thick, 37mm wide dial. NW was the best choice in terms of engraving and numbers shape. We bought one and had him sent it to Bigwaved. He brought it to life.

Once I got the case here, I took care of reshaping, aging, polishing everything up. Then the midcase was sent to the strapmaker so he could stitch the strap directly to the lugs, just like they did on the gen 80 years ago.

The maker of choice was none other than Kostas. Just for those who don't know, he's the same Kostas that OP hired to make a few straps for their museum pieces o_O
Needless to say his work was simply perfect for this build.

I was holding a GPF buckle specially made for me by SD for a special project. This was a good time to use it.

While I was waiting for the strap I had some time to take care of the steel blued hands. They were carefully relumed then rusted. As a final touch the tip of the minute hand was bent, like in the old times.

Once Kostas work was done I was able to put everthing together and give the final aging touches. I learnt through a lot of experimentation that the last bit of patina must be added once a watch is completed in order to make it look like it developed naturally.
Finally, watch was done :)

A few more pics:

Hope you enjoyed the reading and pics, new projects coming soon!

dadog13

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
15/3/06
Nice build, the 618 makes it special indeed and brings the complete watch to another level.

A bit off topic : it would be interesting if OP knew about Kostas past in the replica watch world, collecting reps, being engaged in making aftermarket crown guards (maybe even crowns, don’t remember everything). Seems that he left the dark side of the hobby and became a purist/paneristi

zinduna

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
4/7/09
Lovely work. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

jimcon11

Known Member
25/6/17
Amazing watch kilo. For those of us who don't know, can you explain why the markers on the dial are blood red like that? Did they use a different type of lume than what is on the hands?

dharma

F.a.i.g.a. addicted
13/11/14
The Hive
Great wotk, as usual, Kilo.....i am not so in love with Panerai watches (and i live in Florence!) but yours are more than simple time machines.....they tell stories.

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Amazing watch kilo. For those of us who don't know, can you explain why the markers on the dial are blood red like that? Did they use a different type of lume than what is on the hands?

No one knows for sure, we suppose that's caused by some sort of interaction between the radium based luminous compound and the rest of the dial. A bit like tritium darkening but to a greater scale

Reactions: itgoes211

rolexwatchfan

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/8/13
kilowattore
I'm going over your pictures again and again and I can say this is one of the best if not The Best 3646 builds I've ever seen! The mid-case is the work of art! Your attention to detail, gave this watch it's own character - it's scars of the past life this watch never had. I'm stunned just by looking at the cracks in the crystal, gauges in the case that could've happened when Decima MAS Incursori rushed the deployment of explosives bumping the watch against the ships hull clamps.
What strikes me most are the names behind this build.
Most of the members might not even recognize the names of The Magnificent Seven you've mentioned and when I think that all of those great masters helped with this build, I got goosebumps already. This watch is the epic collaboration of the best in the "vintage circle" of both continents of the World.
My friend, I've always admired your vintage builds, being Panerai and Rolex passionate. This watch is the epic fusion of both brands in one - the Holy Grail of any Paneristi and Rolex aficionado. Genuine Rolex 618 heart makes it more magical and complete.
I do not believe that there's more qualified and knowledgeable watch builder than you my friend. If I wanted to build a watch like that, It would have to be you! Your passion, attention to detail and vast knowledge is unparalleled.
Thank you for sharing this magnificent creation!

orson_wells_Slow-Clap.gif

Last edited:

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Great project! I didn’t know I liked Panerai until I read this.

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
kilowattore
I'm going over your pictures again and again and I can say this is one of the best if not The Best 3646 builds I've ever seen! The mid-case is the work of art! Your attention to detail, gave this watch it's own character - it's scars of the past life this watch never had. I'm stunned just by looking at the cracks in the crystal, gauges in the case that could've happened when Decima MAS Incursori rushed the deployment of explosives bumping the watch against the ships hull clamps.
What strikes me most are the names behind this build.
Most of the members might not even recognize the names of The Magnificent Seven you've mentioned and when I think that all of those great masters helped with this build, I got goosebumps already. This watch is the epic collaboration of the best in the "vintage circle" of both continents of the World.
My friend, I've always admired your vintage builds, being Panerai and Rolex passionate. This watch is the epic fusion of both brands in one - the Holy Grail of any Paneristi and Rolex aficionado. Genuine Rolex 618 heart makes it more magical and complete.
I do not believe that there's more qualified and knowledgeable watch builder than you my friend. If I wanted to build a watch like that, It would have to be you! Your passion, attention to detail and vast knowledge is unparalleled.
Thank you for sharing this magnificent creation!

orson_wells_Slow-Clap.gif

Wow Sir, I'm humbled by these words. Thank you

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Absolutely amazing.

I wonder if this is gonna end up in an auction somewhere lol.....

LOL thanks but I am sure it won't. I accepted to be involved in this project mostly beacause I knew the commissioner was trustworthy.

gunsmoke16610

FIVE-Digit
Patron
Certified
23/10/18
Looks like it could have just came off the wrist of a frogman- AMAZING!

eddy@manu

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
5/1/17
Sei un artista amico mio , sia nel moddare questo orologio che nella fotografia .
Ciao caro .

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Nick_B

Known Member
7/7/18
Very, very nice. Nothing like a proper 618 to finish off a top-end build like this one you have done here. Totally impressed.

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
BRAVO!

giphy.gif

i think that the red tone of lume was caused when the mixture of radium and copper powder reach their end of reaction.
i can't recall where i was read about but i remember that they add copper powder to gain the glowing reaction and was last
for two years or less.