• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

1680 DWO Vector - Feedback Wanted

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
So frustratingIy have a 1680 dial that just doesn't seem to take to any DWO I've installed. I could suck it up and buy a new dial but instead I've decided to just make my own DWO to fit this particular dial.

Can those of you vintage experts with a critical eye take a look at this DWO tracing for a 1680 and let me know what you think?

Abrry.png

I've based it on this version (except I have not closed up my 26 yet):

AbBwG.jpg

Anyways. thanks for your thoughts.

Reactions: eddy@manu

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Numbers are thicker than reference. Apart from that it looks Ok to me

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
Numbers are way thicker, look at the 5.....on the gen they are more flattened

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
You need to reform many curves. There is something weird in your referance WD, seems to work counter clockwise.

2 -> needs narrower upper curve edge.
3-> narrower diagonal, more squoval leg curve
4-> wider face of letter, down left corner needs a vertical braking
5-> longer, narrower upper horizontal line. squoval leg curve, narrower everything to gain the same leg curve opening.
6-> squovalize left numbers curve, open a bit leg - body space at the end of line
7-> narrower leg edge, create the upper leg curve (left turn) that missing over legs curve (that turn right)
8-> squovalize the curves left and right of letter, this will make it narrower
9-> squovalize both curves, narrow both edges, open both clearances
10 -> squovalize zeros' left and right, may need to narrow its width a little after

tell me if you understand everything above to continue
If you don't know how to handle object oriented graphics with handles on bezzier lines you can't do those, you need help

ps: on second thought, why don't you put it above the referance in wireframe? it will show many details and the exact form
that you have to recreate.

Last edited:

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
JOP Are you making up words or speaking a different language because I have no idea what you’re saying. ;)
I’m pretty low tech with my tracing - Adobe Illustrator with pen tool.
Anyways, I’ll look up your words and try to figure some of what you’re saying out.

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
he means as what I said.....only different words...Squoval may refer to: A mostly rectangular figure, with rounded corners..he means the shape is not correct, also imo your drawing has the wrong start ascending ....start with the 1 and underneath the 2, then the 3 ect.....I can make it transparant and put in on the gen dw to compare...

So the numbers are ligned up the wrong way around....

I made a black&white of the gen...it needs to be cleaned up but just to show...

Reactions: d4v3

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
If you know the basics in illustrator, you are in a good way. If you don't there are many videos about, you will learn them in 30'..
I'm trying to use logical names mixed with typeface anatomy. And yes, i'm not very proud about my english..

so, squoval is a form term about a square shape that has ovalized sides and corners. When i wrote "squovalize" i mean that the curve is too oval and needs to be a bit more squared.

scientific graphic 1

iu

you have curves close to almond that are more like oval or squoval on referance. :D

A typographic character has upper section and lower.
I call "foot" the single shape that "support" the character. so, [9] has a curved foot and [4] has a straight.

i'm sure that on a second read you will understund more. focus in one number at a time.

Last edited:

yodog

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
2/9/11
In my parent's basement
or just buy one from a dude that makes them in korea... let me know if you want his contact. metal plate printed 1 to 1 gen at least in my eyes, silver but not as dark as polexpetes. making dwo is ridiculously hard to do, you can get the font right but printing it is another story

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
JOPcapice01 This is good feedback! I mean it honestly. Also, wasn’t criticizing your English, i was only trying to joke about my lack of typographic knowledge.
I started with the Polexpete DWO, then started modifying it to the gen image since there were noticeable differences. But I value the crowdsourced eye, always sees things I start to lose sight of.
Regarding my direction of numbers, is a DWO for an ETA - they move opposite direction of Rolex movements. That’s why my version stacks opposite.
Anyways, good stuff.
I’m still inclined to try to make/print only because I’m being stubborn about the dial. DWO from Cartel, Raffles (both of them), and Polexpete all misalign to this particular dial. I suspect the DW is off by a mm. Rather than scrap a $150 dial and buy a new one for $$$ I’ll try to fix it with the DWO.

eddy@manu

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
5/1/17
So frustratingIy have a 1680 dial that just doesn't seem to take to any DWO I've installed. I could suck it up and buy a new dial but instead I've decided to just make my own DWO to fit this particular dial.

Can those of you vintage experts with a critical eye take a look at this DWO tracing for a 1680 and let me know what you think?

Abrry.png

I've based it on this version (except I have not closed up my 26 yet):

AbBwG.jpg

Anyways. thanks for your thoughts.

hello good job, I'm lnd to buy 10

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk