• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex 16750 GMT, gen' spec' Vietnam case.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
In 1981 Rolex brought out the third incarnation of its GMT-Master, the 16750. Considered a transitional model, it was in production from 1981 to 1988.

5wtTQ.jpg

While it was very similar in style to its predecessor - same case, same crystal, insert, bezel etc as the GMT-Master 1675, the 16750 offered some technical improvements, namely the Rolex Calibre 3075 automatic movement, 28800A/h, with a hacking and quick set feature.

5waCf.jpg

With this change of movement, the order of the hands got changed:

1675: GMT/Hour/Minute/Second.

16750: Hour/GMT/Minute/Second.

5wr3X.jpg

The quick-set date feature allows setting the date independent of the hour hand, meaning you adjust the date by simply turning the crown rather than continuously turning the centre hands around the dial until you get to the right date, which is what you had to do on the 1675, and any Rolex that didn't have a quick-set date feature.

5wBGp.jpg

Another improvement featured on the GMT-Master 16750 is its water resistance - 330 feet (100 meters), which is double to that of previous GMT-Master models.

5fZEs.jpg

During its eight years of production, the Rolex GMT-Master 16750 had two distinct dial variations within its steel case - a transition within a transition.

5f6Th.jpg

The first generation had matte black dials with tritium hour markers applied directly to the dial, while the later ones had glossy black dials with tritium filled white gold indices.

5fWUD.jpg

This model to me is the best of both worlds between the 1675 and the 16710 models - the slim, compact case, fat bezel insert and Hesalite crystal of the 1675, and the bling and shine of the glossy white gold indices dial 16710.

Specs on this build:

Commissioned Vietnam case with 16750 stamped case back, engraving between lugs and a 1981 serial reference number.

Because some lume plots were stained, he original tritium lume was removed, mixed with binder and used to relume the hands and dial.

Rolex crystal, Rolex bezel insert, Rolex crown, tube and spring bars.

Swiss low beat ETA.

Chinese hands and jubilee bracelet.

5fz4U.jpg

SuperTopGun

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
10/2/15
Very beautiful tripdog . You're still at work. You told me you were not building anymore

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Love the tritium recycling bit. Well done!

Reactions: tripdog

Danster

Known Member
11/8/18
Ruddy lovely mate...so nice. Appreciate the info too, really nice to learn about the different details..

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
Beautiful build and write up as always, trip.

How come they changed the hand stack? Having the gmt on bottom makes the most sense to me

silentflight

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/6/13
Mixing the old tritium and using it to relume is a great idea. Fantastic work.

Is the case gen spec for a 3075 movement?

hotrodder

Known Member
6/12/17
Wow looks fantastic
Would love to have the skills to build at that caliber

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mflo

Known Member
4/12/18
This is a really sharp build, and I really appreciate your attention to detail.

Can I ask what the advantage for recycling the Tritium is over say just re-luming with new pigment? Is it strictly for retaining originality with the dial as much as possible?

Either way, the extra work seems like it was worth it from an aesthetic standpoint.

jimcon11

Known Member
25/6/17
Nice build, I particularly like the lume. And thanks for the information on this reference, it's totally new to me :smildzor: