• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

is yodogs $1700 gmt master 6542 vintage pepsi worth it?

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
No idea I have not seen it and if i did I do not actually remember, but I have never seen yodog overcharge anyone or rip them off. These vintage builds can be crazy money to build. If you like the 6542 I guess the real question is how much do you like it.

Personally if I am obsessed by a watch I wait for a really good one to come up. I have learned that the time, the hidden costs, the risks, and the headaches are not worth it for me anymore having Frankens built myself. Saying that I am considering doing a Franken Omega 2200.50 at the moment.

walkingcloud

Renowned Member
10/7/12
I have yodogs 6542 and it’s an awesome watch. He’s a very talented builder. The vietnam builds are pretty pricey man.

Reactions: JackJ1980

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
looking to buy the gmt 6542 pepsi vintage from yodog. $1700 is a lot of dough, is it worth it?

Which one? What parts? I’ve never seen him selling one of his builds that was anything but reasonably priced.

Reactions: JackJ1980

LVR

Royale with Cheese
22/10/18
I have a yodog 6542 and it’s beautiful. He communicates constantly with updates on the build. After receiving the 6542, I have him currently building a vintage Daytona for me and he’s been nothing but a perfectionist throughout the process thus far. I want a certain level when it comes to the final piece and you get what you pay for. I have total confidence in him and think his prices, which are actually reasonable, are worth every penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Surftime

blackboxes

Advisor/Supporter
Advisor
31/5/15
I would think yodog's work and reputation here speaks for itself well among the members here.

Value is relative, as such its up to potential buyers to decide if that amount is what they want.

Reactions: phdsjain

hurk

The sound of barf
Supporter
Certified
10/5/11
looking to buy the gmt 6542 pepsi vintage from yodog. $1700 is a lot of dough, is it worth it?

From what youve seen. Can you tell a difference between the $1700 custom watch from probably the $100 piece of shit u might be comparing it to?

Mr Seamaster

Renowned Member
27/4/12
I bought several parts and a 1675 from him. He’s a standup guy and imo his builds are worth every penny.

Nam builds are that expensive. Period.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Yodog is a top notch vintage Rolex builder. If it's worth$1700, well, the original will run you at least 10x the cost. You want an embarrassing canal Street one that will be called out easily? He's one of the best in the business and I find posting such a question when you could have done a search quite insulting.

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
So here's the thing -

Yodog charges very little in comparison to the parts he sources.

If he sources $1500 worth of parts, he'll add a bit for his time and skilled labor - as is expected. His rates are more than reasonable and he knows his stuff.

So you should moreso be asking - is a build with top notch parts worth it?

Reactions: bobandshawn

Wildcatfan

13/2/18
No idea I have not seen it and if i did I do not actually remember, but I have never seen yodog overcharge anyone or rip them off. These vintage builds can be crazy money to build. If you like the 6542 I guess the real question is how much do you like it.

Personally if I am obsessed by a watch I wait for a really good one to come up. I have learned that the time, the hidden costs, the risks, and the headaches are not worth it for me anymore having Frankens built myself. Saying that I am considering doing a Franken Omega 2200.50 at the moment.

It seems like watches work the same as custom cars. always easier and cheaper to buy one already built than start from scratch

Reactions: Taz71

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
PM answered OP regarding unanticipated costs and headaches associated with Franken building.

nikoel

I'm Pretty Popular
22/2/16
Can’t really add to what has been said before. Yodog has my admiration, respect and trust. Once my pennies are saved he will be my number one choice to build a 6542

Cheeps

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Patron
Certified
24/11/18

I second that. I was in love with the Daytona since around two years now. Been always lurking it on eBay but was never able to justify dropping that much.

When I discovered RWI and the rep world I instantly bought the 116520 noob Daytona and the ARF parts to mod it. But it was not enough for me, even though I don’t even have the watch yet. I wanted it to be as gen as possible. So I was searching Chrono24 every day for the perfect parts. And let me tell you, shit ain’t easy.

Most of the parts are either very hard to get, or extremely pricy (I’m looking at you, stupid APH dial). On top of that, if you buy every piece seperately, you might as well spend another 200€ on the shipping alone.

As soon as I saw a superfranken daytona with all the parts I wanted (except 1), I had to buy it. Saves me all the trouble, waiting time, modding etc.)

The noob I bought is still at my watchmakers but will be sold here once finished.

Reactions: C Master