• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen-stein-franken-Tudor Project(s) Kickoff

Hugop

I'm Pretty Popular
13/4/09
mzinski there are a few for you to look at. Hope you enjoy them. Let me know if you want more detail on any specific build.

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
mzinski there are a few for you to look at. Hope you enjoy them. Let me know if you want more detail on any specific build.

Super nice collection!

Tell me more about the 7016 Rose Dial - I have the gen Tudor 2461 movement but I need to find a good source for hands and dial.

tepekei

Known Member
2/3/16
Is there are reason I can't see the OP's pics? I swear I could see them before! Anyone else having this issue?

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Is there are reason I can't see the OP's pics? I swear I could see them before! Anyone else having this issue?

Working for me on my desktop and phone. Are you on Tapatalk? I've heard of issues on that platform maybe?

tepekei

Known Member
2/3/16
Working for me on my desktop and phone. Are you on Tapatalk? I've heard of issues on that platform maybe?

I don't know what's up. I'm in Firefox on a laptop, it seems like recently I can't see about half the pics across threads.

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
And so the saga continues. I picked up a gen Tudor snowflake dial from ChronoShop a few months back. It was cheap and for good reason, practically none of the dial was left. After discussions with the various, professional dial refinishers, Kirk Rich in CA took on the project.

Given the condition of the dial and my desire for a blue dial, I opted to have them refinish as gloss blue. Interestingly, Lou said a lot of owners send in their black dials to be refinished in blue. Hmmm...

It took some time to get done, like 6-7 weeks. There was a bit of back and forth on the blue color - with a few tests and QC pics. Then it was from blue background to done and in my mailbox without another word.

Lou was good to work with but I’m not 100% satisfied with the end result. I can see he used a screen print, not pad printing. The hour ticks touch the lume plots. And a couple of the lume plots are slightly misaligned.

I’m probably going to end up keeping it without much fuss anyways. The time I’ve waited for it to be done combined with my excitement to continue on with my 7016 project overwhelms my urge to have him do it again. Anyways, since it’s been refinished, it could always be refinished again some time in the future. Which begs the question, when is something real? Sure, the providence of this dial and the process of refinishing it makes it “legit”. But in the end it’s just a piece of metal with a picture printed on it. Maybe thoughts for another thread...

Another note, I asked them to refinish without providing lume. I wanted to do that myself. I’ve gone ahead and applied a light pumpkin orange lume to the plots. Next, on to adding some patina to the hands, relume them, and start assembly on the Tudor 2461 movement.

V238sX.jpg

V23iZp.jpg

V23hIh.jpg

V23Sis.jpg

V23dXD.jpg

V23HxU.jpg

V23XZ8.jpg

V233i3.jpg

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Oh FFS! Someone pointed out the “Oyster Prince” is in reversed order on the refinished dial. It slipped my attention and this will not so at all. It’s going back to be refinished again! Oh well, patience is the name of the game.

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Dang! Result wasn't bad imho anyway

CanRep

13/10/18
Wanted to open this one again, as curious how the project ended/where it's at!

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Wanted to open this one again, as curious how the project ended/where it's at!

It’s painfully close but so far away, SMH, I sent the dial back to the same dial guy. I indicated all the issues and asked him to reprint. Frustratingly he’s still working on it.
Hope to have a better update soon.