• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen-stein-franken-Tudor Project(s) Kickoff

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
And so it starts, my headlong dive into a trio of gen-stein-franken-Tudors. It started with a 17j Tudor ETA 2784. Picked it up off VRF for a reasonable price. Or so I thought until I discovered not only did it need a full service cleaning but replacement automatic works Bridge, keywords needed to be rebuilt, and a new balance required (still waiting on the balance). Regardless this inspired the first project, a blue 9411/0.

- MQ Case w/ lugs reshaped, CG’s reshaped, tube retapped, chamfers recut, and repolished.

- WSO Tension Spring (en route)

- Clark’s 7030 Tube (en route)

- Gen 704 Crown (I know 702 is correct but I came into this one for free)

- TC Hand Set (aged in organic Pacific saltwater, reluming forthcoming)

- Phong Insert (aging forthcoming)

- Phong Dial (reluming forthcoming)

- Erika’s Original MN Strap

The pleasure of working on genuine movements and gen spec VN cases inspired me to continue the trajectory into these gen-stein-franken-Tudors. I’m partial to them for their cost - Rolex movements are out of control. Tudor movements are still reasonable, parts are readily available, and easy to work on.

Ive decided to continue working my way back in time. The next two movements that arrived today are an ETA 2462 and an ETA 2461. Both picked up for a bargain on WUS and sold as “great running condition”. Hardly the case...

The 2462 was missing a barrel bridge screw and someone installed the wrong screw in the minute c o ck. I was able to harverst those from the 2461 and it was off and running nicely. It even came with an interesting Tudor crown.

The 2461 is now missing the two above mentioned screws plus the winding pinion, and stem. Hopefully a few parts and it’ll be up and running.

And now begins the hunt for 7021 and 7016 case/dial/etc. I think I’m going to go for a 7928 dial on the 7016 and a black snowflake on the 7021.

Guess what this is all leading me towards? Hunting for a Tudor 390 movement to eventually build a 7922 big crown.

Oh the rabbit hole....

H63rX.jpg

H6Xnf.jpg

H6mfp.jpg

H6Azs.jpg

HEDdh.jpg

HEE5U.jpg

HEu0D.jpg

HEpf8.jpg

HE1jb.jpg

HEvz3.jpg

HEQ02.jpg

jimcon11

Known Member
25/6/17
Whoa, this is going to be epic, looks like you're already well on your way to a sweet blue snowflake build. Going to do any USN or MN engravings? How do you plan on getting a rose dial for the 7016?

I have this guy sitting around but unfortunately it's the 395 with date so I'm not sure if it's worth using.
HcX0X.jpg

Looking forward to your progress on these builds :dr3m3l:

Last edited:

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Well, first step has been preparing the case to better accept a gen 7030 Tube and 704 Crown.

As the case come from MQ, it has an afterthought of a countersink for the tube. This causes any gen spec tube to sit proud of the case - which also causes the crown to float away from the case.

tvNEd.jpg

tviYZ.jpg

tvTUR.jpg

I measured the two steps in the tube, 3.9mm and 4.9mm. Unfortunately I could not find those exact end mill, 4-blade, flat, carbide cutting bits so I ended up with a 4mm and 5mm. Thankfully it was close enough and the tube fit snugly into the end countersink.

tvh4g.jpg

As you can see, I continued to bore in with the 4mm and stepped up to 5mm for the upper portion. It was a process of cut, measure, cut, measure, test the tube, repeat. I was using a precision milking machine but I think a drill press would work fine as well.

tvjGa.jpg

tvLKy.jpg

tvXYG.jpg

tv4Uq.jpg

Crown sit tight and flush.

Next endeavor will be the lugs - reshaping a bit.

Reactions: Hugop

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Whoa, this is going to be epic, looks like you're already well on your way to a sweet blue snowflake build. Going to do any USN or MN engravings? How do you plan on getting a rose dial for the 7016?
Looking forward to your progress on these builds :dr3m3l:

Thanks, I hope it's epic...

Right now I'm not planning on the USN or MN engravings. Given the two snowflakes have the date, it doesn't seem appropriate.

As to the 7016 - that's the last on my list as I need to repair the movement. So far it seems the VN dial suppliers only have white, not gilt. I may try to do my own dial.

Reactions: jimcon11

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Finished reshaping the lugs this evening. Cut down the top a bit to make more gradual the slope from the rehaute down to the tip, then recut the chamfer, and repolished everything. I did intentionally ease the edges of the chamfer, I don’t want sharp, new cuts.

It’s all slowly coming together. Now if only that new gluycdur balance wheel would show up from Germany...

38ue2.jpg

38EBd.jpg

38pNZ.jpg

38vyR.jpg

38Qea.jpg

381Hg.jpg

gunsmoke16610

FIVE-Digit
Patron
Certified
23/10/18
Excellent work on your case its amazing. Cant wait to see updates

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Dial and hands relumed.

So, I take back anything bad I have ever said about a lume application to a Tudor Dial - what a pain in the...every plot has four corners. But it’s done and I like it.

Oh, and yeah, it’s a matte black dial now. Turned out Phong got a bad batch of gloss blue dials for gen movements. The date window misaligned to the date wheel. He promptly sent me a black one with a black insert. When the blue ones come in I’ll pick one up and swap it out. For now my 9411 will be a black dial project it seems.

4ecrQ.jpg

4e0wf.jpg

4ekpX.jpg

4exdp.jpg

4eGns.jpg

4eorh.jpg

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Yes, dial came as shown with the exception of the lume.

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
My glucydur balance wheel arrived from germany!

...but the staff had a broken pinion. NOS my @$$

4Az8y.jpg

I decided to pick up a standard nickel balance wheel for now to get my watch going (it was supposed to be my Christmas gift to myself after all). That is installed and things are running smoothly.

4AyvG.jpg

4A08F.jpg

Since I’m with a matte black dial I need to decide on the insert. Three to choose from: Phong Black, Slay Kissing 40 Black, or Phong Blue. Nothing has been aged yet but when I do it’ll be a light touch.

Lets crowd source some thoughts on this, what do you like best?

4AVqR.jpg

4A6Mg.jpg

4AKAa.jpg

​​​​​​​

jimcon11

Known Member
25/6/17
The blue bezel looks great with that lume color. Really nice job.

Hugop

I'm Pretty Popular
13/4/09
mzinski this is a great set of projects you are undertaking. I also am partial to the faded blue inserts. I have seen this addiction before. I have lived it. I have already built the 7021, 7016 Rose and the 94010 triangle. The Tudor collection goes well beyond that now but those were my core starters. Really looking forward to watching you collection develop.

Here is a shot of my gen dialed 7021. (Using a very early 9411 dial setup)

e1427b177d8395c0efc552b527cc66b4.jpg

Reactions: jimcon11

heska

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/11/17
May i ask you where dis you get that insert?

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
mzinski this is a great set of projects you are undertaking. I also am partial to the faded blue inserts. I have seen this addiction before. I have lived it. I have already built the 7021, 7016 Rose and the 94010 triangle. The Tudor collection goes well beyond that now but those were my core starters. Really looking forward to watching you collection develop.

Here is a shot of my gen dialed 7021. (Using a very early 9411 dial setup)

Looks good! Funny how we're nearly parallel in our Tudor ambitions.

I'd love to see more pictures of your collection and I'm curious what it goes well beyond in to. Do let me know where I can find some pictures.

So what are the specs on this 7021? Gen dial...and? The insert looks good - can you elaborate on your aging process (if you aged it)?

Hugop

I'm Pretty Popular
13/4/09
Looks good! Funny how we're nearly parallel in our Tudor ambitions.

I'd love to see more pictures of your collection and I'm curious what it goes well beyond in to. Do let me know where I can find some pictures.

So what are the specs on this 7021? Gen dial...and? The insert looks good - can you elaborate on your aging process (if you aged it)?

Gen dial, insert, crown, 93150 bracelet and end links.

Phong case with reshaped cg’s.

Clark bezel and crystal.

Gen 2784 with old Tudor autowind

Aged rep hands and pip to be more like the dial.

Not for the faint of heart. Expensive build but well worth it! ????????????

Hugop

I'm Pretty Popular
13/4/09
100% gen 76100
7f382f1e82540ce49b25d2d29e1c884f.jpg

Gilt 7928 dialed square crown guard sub

a7ca6c2013b294df022852230910fc3b.jpg
32e852286164b3cab3c7dae849721c70.jpg
6d1ced319de25586de0bed94e283bf31.jpg