• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

10 things you can do with a Cartel/JK 5513 Sub

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
OOTB these are pretty ugly, inaccurate watches, so one of the first things you could do is modify it - basically to make it less ugly.

This is what the case looks like when you get it from the TD:

qpfmU.jpg

qpoRD.jpg

qpNo8.jpg

As I'm sure you noticed, there's lots of things that are wrong - wrong case height, wrong shaped lugs, wrong shaped crown guards, wrong shaped bezel ring, wrong shaped crystal etc. So you'll need to remove metal - lots and lots of metal from the top, the bottom and the sides.

I use one of these:

qpT7b.jpg

Once you've corrected the lugs, case height, CGs and bezel ring dimensions and you've got the semblance of a 5513 case, you can polish it, brush it and add your chamfers:

qpjmd.jpg

qptpR.jpg

qp47g.jpg

Before and after - a slimmed bezel ring next to a stock bezel ring:

qpLwZ.jpg

You'll need a dial, a set of hands, a crystal and an insert. Gen dials are nice, but expensive at $1.5k - $2k, so a relumed, aged Viet' dial will do - the finished article with a Rolex service crystal, fat font insert and a Rolex crown:

qprRa.jpg

qpAry.jpg

qzVwG.jpg

qz6pq.jpg

qzKd6.jpg

qzzn0.jpg

qzvrF.jpg

Sorry, but I lied about there being 10 things you can do with a Cartel/JK 5513 - IMO the only thing to do with these fugly things is modify them.

Where could one get such hands? White lume preferred.

gunsmoke16610

FIVE-Digit
Patron
Certified
23/10/18
Amazing work like this takes vision and talent, its clear you have both man. I am speechless.

Reactions: tripdog

pessoa67

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/10/18
Hi guys
I would ask you all what about engraves between lugs?? I think in some super works I saw into the Forum correct serial numbers engraves should be a Must to have but seems very hard to do....not laser or others but real engraved
What do you think about it?
Have a nice Sunday

xray7

Renowned Member
1/4/18
Old Dart
I shall point out that my first ever Franken (a gen crystal/dial 16800 which was conjured out of a cartel 16610 case) was so good that a former senior Rolex staff member believed it to be gen, and it came from none other than tripdog. I still regret selling that watch here, and its a popular piece - I got a provenance check last time it changed hands on another forum.

Trip, to say that you've got an eye for detail and the ability to transform the cartel base watches into works of art would be the understatment of the year.

anj4de

Horology Curious
2/2/21
Germany
Hello

I found this thread by a cross reference over at RWG. I am now talking to "Perfect Clones" on buying one...
Thanks Mr. Tripdog for this inspiring post...a true master!

cheers

MrHEPennypacker

20/5/20
Very sharp! I feel like for as much work as the JKF bases may need, they’re a great starting point for budget builds.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Hello

I found this thread by a cross reference over at RWG. I am now talking to "Perfect Clones" on buying one...
Thanks Mr. Tripdog for this inspiring post...a true master!

cheers

You should talk to M (Marvellous Replica).

1. He's a TD here (Perfect Clones isn't)
2. He does the Cartel Subs for $100 a pop.

Dimi187

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
29/12/20
Nice bro,
I have one 5513 case if anyone is interested

Last edited by a moderator:

bcapa40

21/12/09
Any possibility of you doing this work for others who buy a Cartel 5513? Meaning we strip it down to the case and bezel and ship to you. You collect a fee for your service and ship back. I used to be a machinist in my twenties but do no have access to a lathe.

Last edited:

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Any possibility of you doing this work for others who buy a Cartel 5513? Meaning we strip it down to the case and bezel and ship to you. You collect a fee for your service and ship back. I used to be a machinist in my twenties but do no have access to a lathe.

Yes that's possible.