• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

10 things you can do with a Cartel/JK 5513 Sub

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
OOTB these are pretty ugly, inaccurate watches, so one of the first things you could do is modify it - basically to make it less ugly.

This is what the case looks like when you get it from the TD:

qpfmU.jpg

qpoRD.jpg

qpNo8.jpg

As I'm sure you noticed, there's lots of things that are wrong - wrong case height, wrong shaped lugs, wrong shaped crown guards, wrong shaped bezel ring, wrong shaped crystal etc. So you'll need to remove metal - lots and lots of metal from the top, the bottom and the sides.

I use one of these:

qpT7b.jpg

Once you've corrected the lugs, case height, CGs and bezel ring dimensions and you've got the semblance of a 5513 case, you can polish it, brush it and add your chamfers:

qpjmd.jpg

qptpR.jpg

qp47g.jpg

Before and after - a slimmed bezel ring next to a stock bezel ring:

qpLwZ.jpg

You'll need a dial, a set of hands, a crystal and an insert. Gen dials are nice, but expensive at $1.5k - $2k, so a relumed, aged Viet' dial will do - the finished article with a Rolex service crystal, fat font insert and a Rolex crown:

qprRa.jpg

qpAry.jpg

qzVwG.jpg

qz6pq.jpg

qzKd6.jpg

qzzn0.jpg

qzvrF.jpg

Sorry, but I lied about there being 10 things you can do with a Cartel/JK 5513 - IMO the only thing to do with these fugly things is modify them.

Last edited:

cpd2186

Runway Model
Supporter
5/4/16
Now you state you can "brush it". Do you brush all your cases per "gen spec" and how much does that usually cost?

Reactions: tripdog

DD60

Eagle Eyed Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
28/4/17
Interesting and job well done. To shape the case to gen specs represents a great deal of detailed work. What resources do you use to get the exact measurements of a gen case?

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Awesome job on the bezel, hats off

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
7/10/15
Ireland
I have had a few 5513s. But I consider myself lucky to have a 5513 built by the op. It still remains my favourite watch and if you know me you will know I have many to choose from.

Nur-Uhr

Time Machine
Patron
Certified
20/2/17
EU
Mr Tripdog is a really magician.
I have also one of a modded tripdog build and I am still amazed of the result.

Really nice write-up and funny and interssting to read.

jimcon11

Known Member
25/6/17
Nice work there, I'll have to try using the particle accelerator on my next build.