Announcement

Collapse

Please Consider Supporting RWI Today!

We depend on Supporter & Patron subscriptions to pay the bills. Please consider supporting RWI TODAY, CLICK HERE for info on how to subscribe.
See more
See less

10 things you can do with a Cartel/JK 5513 Sub

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 things you can do with a Cartel/JK 5513 Sub

OOTB these are pretty ugly, inaccurate watches, so one of the first things you could do is modify it - basically to make it less ugly.

This is what the case looks like when you get it from the TD:

As I'm sure you noticed, there's lots of things that are wrong - wrong case height, wrong shaped lugs, wrong shaped crown guards, wrong shaped bezel ring, wrong shaped crystal etc. So you'll need to remove metal - lots and lots of metal from the top, the bottom and the sides.

I use one of these:

Once you've corrected the lugs, case height, CGs and bezel ring dimensions and you've got the semblance of a 5513 case, you can polish it, brush it and add your chamfers:

Before and after - a slimmed bezel ring next to a stock bezel ring:

You'll need a dial, a set of hands, a crystal and an insert. Gen dials are nice, but expensive at $1.5k - $2k, so a relumed, aged Viet' dial will do - the finished article with a Rolex service crystal, fat font insert and a Rolex crown:

Sorry, but I lied about there being 10 things you can do with a Cartel/JK 5513 - IMO the only thing to do with these fugly things is modify them.
    Last edited by tripdog; 16-01-19, 14:04.
    https://picr.me/tripdog/albums

Superb write up as always trip

Comment

Damn that looks a million times better. Especially with the crystal change.

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Now you state you can "brush it". Do you brush all your cases per "gen spec" and how much does that usually cost?
          "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful"

Comment

He Depp's it!

[Link] The Truth About our Reps...

Comment

Interesting and job well done. To shape the case to gen specs represents a great deal of detailed work. What resources do you use to get the exact measurements of a gen case?

Comment

Originally posted by tripdog View Post

"No, Mr. Bond... I expect you to die!"
                Last edited by cheld; 17-01-19, 13:29.
                GEN - 1982 Rolex 16013 "American Psycho" Champagne Tapestry Datejust; Omega 38.5 "Skyfall" blue AT; 1999 Omega 2531.80; Hamilton K454 "Sputnik"; 1967 Bulova Accutron 218D; Seagull 1963 Chronograph reissue
                REP - Rolex Explorer 5500 Gilt Dial gen case; 1988 Rolex 16610 TC Franken; V6F v2.5 Omega SM300 "Spectre"; Cartel Rolex 6238 Pre-Daytona; Johnny Lazar "Goldfinger" Rolex 6538; Rolex 6542 Albino GMT
                WISH - Rolex 5513 rep or Franken; Omega Moonwatch gen

Comment

Awesome job on the bezel, hats off
                  SHARE YOUR SKILLS!
                  Summary of the best tutorials

MY WORKS
                  Directory of my builds and reviews

Comment

I have had a few 5513s. But I consider myself lucky to have a 5513 built by the op. It still remains my favourite watch and if you know me you will know I have many to choose from.

Do. Or do not. There is no try.
                    There is nothing outside of yourself that can ever enable you to get better, stronger, richer, quicker, or smarter. Everything is within. Everything exists. Seek nothing outside of yourself.
                    ? Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

Comment

Mr Tripdog is a really magician.
                      I have also one of a modded tripdog build and I am still amazed of the result.

Really nice write-up and funny and interssting to read.

time goes by so slowly ...

Comment

Originally posted by bobandshawn View Post
                        He Depp's it!
                        you know it!
                        "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful"

Comment

Nice work there, I'll have to try using the particle accelerator on my next build.

Comment

...a Master....

Comment

This guy is insane.

Comment

Working...
                              X