Announcement

Collapse

Please Consider Supporting RWI Today!

We depend on Supporter & Patron subscriptions to pay the bills. Please consider supporting RWI TODAY, CLICK HERE for info on how to subscribe.
See more
See less

My first Build: 5513 Submariner with Vietnam case

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    My first Build: 5513 Submariner with Vietnam case

    Hello,

    I just wanted to share my first build with you guys. I'm not super stoked on the current dial, so I'll be looking to replace it with something better sometime in the near future. My goal is to build a 5513 from the early 80's, that looks well worn but not abused - not sure if I really succeeded or not.

    The case set is from Ruby's, dial, hands, movement adapter and bracelet are from Yuki. Movement is gen Swiss ETA 2824-2.







    #2
    Get a dial from Ruby and you're good to go
    SHARE YOUR SKILLS!
    Summary of the best tutorials

    MY WORKS
    Directory of my builds and reviews

    Comment


      #3
      New dial, redo the CGs a bit, soften the edges on the case, get a thin font insert and vietnam pearl. relume the hands to match the dial
      Gens: Rolex 116334, Rolex 116233 DD, Rolex 16018 DJ, Rolex 116613LB, Rolex 1675/3
      Reps: Franken 1675, Franken 116520


      i dare you to click this

      Comment


        #4
        nice case set! Congratulations on your first build!

        Comment


          #5
          Nice job on your first build. Enjoy it the vintage modding sickens is fun and aggravating all rolled up

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by yodog View Post
            New dial, redo the CGs a bit, soften the edges on the case, get a thin font insert and vietnam pearl. relume the hands to match the dial
            Thats all!!!!!!! LOL.......

            Just save your time and send it to yodog, let him do it and i'm sure you will have much better results!
            "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful"

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by cpd2186 View Post

              Thats all!!!!!!! LOL.......

              Just save your time and send it to yodog, let him do it and i'm sure you will have much better results!
              Haha, I think that was just a constructive way to say that I've got a long way to go before my build is up to snuff. I've ordered a new dial from Ruby, and once that arrives I think I'll tackle the case work.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by mflo View Post

                Haha, I think that was just a constructive way to say that I've got a long way to go before my build is up to snuff. I've ordered a new dial from Ruby, and once that arrives I think I'll tackle the case work.
                Good luck sir, its a fun journey!
                "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful"

                Comment


                  #9
                  well done.....

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Decided to spring for a replacement dial from Ruby's, along with a newer looking insert (Ruby actually sent the replacement insert for free because of a miscommunication during our initial transaction - can't speak highly enough of her/his customer service):



                    Aged the hands, and aged the lume hour spots on the dial (I used coffee on a Q-tip) - Although I did screw up the Two o'clock hour marker on the dial. Decided to keep the more faded looking insert.





                    I'll be ordering a kit to try and re-do the lume on the marker I messed up. Ordering proper aged tritium pigments.

                    I also realized that I should have ordered a feet first dial instead of a meters first dial in order to properly replicate an early 80s 5513. I'm trying to decide if I want to order a second replacement dial, or if I just want to live with this one for now.

                    This hobby is addictive!

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Nice looking sub, the dial is a big improvement. I guess this is right before they switched to the applied markers?

                      Comment


                        #12
                        future things you might wanna try
                        - convert your 2824-2 to lowbeat = you need an ETA 2840 / 2846 balance, ETA 2840 / 2846 escape wheel, ETA 2840 / 2846 pallet fork
                        - convert your 2824-2 to having 2 stem positions (i.e., manual wind and time setting only, without the date change position) = you need the combined setting lever from an ETA 2840
                        - try and find those elusive TC sub hands: they are the best ETA sub hands
                        - gen service T19 crystal
                        - change that crown and tube to a gen 703 crown and 7030 tube = potentially, it may require re-tapping the tube
                        - wso 580 end links
                        (formerly known as 'godkiller')

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by pompompurin View Post
                          future things you might wanna try
                          - convert your 2824-2 to lowbeat = you need an ETA 2840 / 2846 balance, ETA 2840 / 2846 escape wheel, ETA 2840 / 2846 pallet fork
                          - convert your 2824-2 to having 2 stem positions (i.e., manual wind and time setting only, without the date change position) = you need the combined setting lever from an ETA 2840
                          - try and find those elusive TC sub hands: they are the best ETA sub hands
                          - gen service T19 crystal
                          - change that crown and tube to a gen 703 crown and 7030 tube = potentially, it may require re-tapping the tube
                          - wso 580 end links
                          Totally agree on the end links, crown/tube, and gen service crystal... and I would love to find better hands (if anyone has any, feel free to pm me). Regarding the movement, wouldn't I be better off just replacing the movement with an ETA 2840?

                          I don't have the skills at this point to make those modifications to the 2824-2 you've suggested... is there a forum member here that you would recommend for those modifications?

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by jimcon11 View Post
                            Nice looking sub, the dial is a big improvement. I guess this is right before they switched to the applied markers?
                            No this would be a late 60s matte dial. The applied markers appeared near the end of the 5513's run (late 80s) and were on dials with "Submariner" above a feet-first depth marking.
                            GEN - 1982 Rolex 16013 "American Psycho" Champagne Tapestry Datejust; Omega 38.5 "Skyfall" blue AT; 1999 Omega 2531.80; Hamilton K454 "Sputnik"; 1967 Bulova Accutron 218D; Seagull 1963 Chronograph reissue
                            REP - Rolex Explorer 5500 Gilt Dial gen case; 1988 Rolex 16610 TC Franken; V6F v2.5 Omega SM300 "Spectre"; Cartel Rolex 6238 Pre-Daytona; Johnny Lazar "Goldfinger" Rolex 6538; Rolex 6542 Albino GMT
                            WISH - Rolex 5513 rep or Franken; Omega Moonwatch gen

                            Comment


                              #15
                              As it sits now, it looks like a late 60s early 70s 5513 with that dial... but the crown guards are all wrong for that era.

                              This is my inspiration for this build, a 1983 5513 (found on bobs watches):










                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X