• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

TS Watch Vinatge Rolex ref.6542 - Watch Review

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Ok, so this is definitely not a gilt dial, but it is a cracker. If you've long hankered after a Bakelite bezel, you need to get on this. 1:1 with Gen? Not even close (though as said above, the bracelet is the most obvious tell - and I'm not sure there are better ones on the market any more, unless someone knows otherwise).

In spite of its faults, this is a stunningly beautiful new addition to your collection.

3Fr2q.jpg

3SVS0.jpg

Hey bro, is the bakelite bezel blue or black on top and did it come without any bezel "aging" (scuffs and scratches). I'd rather do my own.

Also wondering if a Ruby or Yuki white Pan Am dial would work in this case. Those are made for the gen movement, so will the datewheel line up in the white dial DW since the TS has a 2836?

Hor-Fan

Thanks guys

Last edited:

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
Hey bro, is the bakelite bezel blue or black on top and did it come without any bezel "aging" (scuffs and scratches). I'd rather do my own.

Also wondering if a Ruby or Yuki white Pan Am dial would work in this case. Those are made for the gen movement, so will the datewheel line up in the white dial DW since the TS has a 2836?

Hor-Fan

Thanks guys

The Bakelite is definitely blue, that's just the light playing tricks. Mine came unscuffed (and I paid for the aged dial version because I'm a hopeless and lazy modder).

Reactions: Mendota and KJ2020

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
Wow. WOW. next purchase for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country

Hor-Fan

Thanks guys

My VN albino lined up with the dwo no problem, it’s the same as Ruby’s albino 1675. I wouldn’t touch the yuki, it’s fugly as shite.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
My VN albino lined up with the dwo no problem, it’s the same as Ruby’s albino 1675. I wouldn’t touch the yuki, it’s fugly as shite.

Thanks bro, the one on Ruby's now has Tiffany's on it. I guess I can get it without that. I would have someone relume the dial and hands anyway, the Yuki just has bad lighting I think. The same dial is pictured with the case set and it looks much more reasonable.

I'd like a puffy lume somewhere in these shades.
15537253182521.jpg

15537253088940.jpg
​​​​​​

Lovelyrose

Renowned Member
2/9/14
I heard if pracel get seized they won’t refund u at all. Just a heads up for you guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Silly question, about the movement. Does this one have a jump GMT hour like the 2893 has, or the GMT hour is adjusted like any minute hand (continuous, I mean), as in the DG3804?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Jesus. I don't know whether to thank you or not. I just keep trying to find excuses NOT to buy this watch and you are definitely not helping!

Having worked on and customized a few GMT's I find the jumping GMT hand to be a nuisance. If it is the slightest bit misaligned (which happens frequently), you pay hell getting the GMT hand to sync with the hour hand. It is FAR easier to sync the hands when you have the ability to set the GMT hand continuously like a minute hand.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
It's a jump hour GMT. Pretty nifty.

The hour hand does not jump, like it does on a gen, or on a CHS GMT. The GMT hand "jumps" in 1 hour increments, synched to where the hour hand is (supposedly). So if the watch time is 6:30 for example, the GMT hand will jump to a halfway point between hours on it's 24 hour scale. It's a headache of a feature, way more trouble than benefit because it prevents tiny adjustments to sync the hour and GMT hands.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
The hour hand does not jump, like it does on a gen, or on a CHS GMT. The GMT hand "jumps" in 1 hour increments, synched to where the hour hand is (supposedly). So if the watch time is 6:30 for example, the GMT hand will jump to a halfway point between hours on it's 24 hour scale. It's a headache of a feature, way more trouble than benefit because it prevents tiny adjustments to sync the hour and GMT hands.

That's exactly how a 2893-2 works, actually. Like the ones you have in the Steinhart GMT or Squale 30 Atmos GMT. I don't find it that horrible, but you are right that if the GMT hand is badly adjusted it's a pain to correct.

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
So has anyone tried a Ruby's bracelet with 80 endlinks? Interested in knowing if they interfere with the first link below the end as was mentioned previously. The stock endlinks on this rep look bad IMO, the fit to the case allows too much gap.

Reactions: stufuse

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
My 27.3mm VN albino is in like Flynn! :)
35d3138c803ef75d143108e1f4fac8e9.jpg

Hey bro, have you fit the dial with a movement in the case yet? Wondering if there are any issues with date alignment or center hole size. I had to enlarge the center hole on a dial once to accommodate the GMT hand wheel, that's a little tricky. Unless you drill from the front side it tends to leave a slight raised perimeter around the hole on the dial. And drilling dial side on an expensive dial is well, not fun. Thinking of maybe switching to a DG3804 movement, the stem height should be OK (2.5mm on DG, 2.25mm on ETA) and the center hole size issue might go away. Plus you get low beat out of it. What do you think?

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
Hey bro, have you fit the dial with a movement in the case yet? Wondering if there are any issues with date alignment or center hole size. I had to enlarge the center hole on a dial once to accommodate the GMT hand wheel, that's a little tricky. Unless you drill from the front side it tends to leave a slight raised perimeter around the hole on the dial. And drilling dial side on an expensive dial is well, not fun. Thinking of maybe switching to a DG3804 movement, the stem height should be OK (2.5mm on DG, 2.25mm on ETA) and the center hole size issue might go away. Plus you get low beat out of it. What do you think?

No issues with date alignment, on the center hole I just had to scrape the paint off the inside edge. I pretty sure a dg3804 would work fine, I just didn’t want to mess with transferring the dwo. I may go lo-beat if the current movement craps out.