• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

TS Watch Vinatge Rolex ref.6542 - Watch Review

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
Ok, next question. Ruby has several straps that all seem correct, but they have slightly different name variations. Does anyone understand the differences between K6-1, K6-2 etc....? They seem to be the same width (20mm), all have the 80 endlink, but have a different number for a category Ruby calls 'sign' eg 3/66, 2/61 etc. I've no idea what's going on!!?! Any ideas?

http://rubyswatch.com/Products/parts/bracelets-straps

laoban_nicolas

Known Member
Patron
Certified
15/11/14
My 27.3mm VN albino is in like Flynn! :)
35d3138c803ef75d143108e1f4fac8e9.jpg

What would be the intrications in swapping in a Swiss 2893?

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
Ok, next question. Ruby has several straps that all seem correct, but they have slightly different name variations. Does anyone understand the differences between K6-1, K6-2 etc....? They seem to be the same width (20mm), all have the 80 endlink, but have a different number for a category Ruby calls 'sign' eg 3/66, 2/61 etc. I've no idea what's going on!!?! Any ideas?

They are sold as individual pieces, they are all the same model but numbered differently so you can pick the exact one in the picture.

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
They are sold as individual pieces, they are all the same model but numbered differently so you can pick the exact one in the picture.

Ahhhhhhh! Thanks mate. I've been googling K6-1 etc and keep getting photos of computer chips!!!

Reactions: Hor-Fan

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Really? My eyes are normally dreadful at spotting tells on watches, but these endlinks scream out at me. The 80s look more like a straight line almost level w with the ends of the lugs where they meet the bracelet as per the Gen photo below, whereas the TS endlinks have an indentation in the endlinks where an extra 'link' from the strap sits (my rep, bottom).

4HHVG.jpg

Oh, I see now! You are absolutely right.

cheld

Renowned Member
Supporter
7/3/18

The "sign" refers to the date stamped on the clasp blade.

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
I own a tripdog 6542 (more than happy with it) and had worn a gen before and for "out of the box" rep this watch is pretty amazing! Here are some of my thoughts on this:
  1. Bezel font is pretty good, is thinner than some of the more expensive after market bezel I had seen
  2. Bezel is not nickle plated on the side, for me is a bit of a deal breaker for me - but with modding this can be done
  3. the dial doesn't seem to be a true gilt dial, being a Rolex vintage watch collector, dial to me means a lot, but for an out of the box - this is pretty good
  4. Apart with some minor case work, it doesn't look too bad
  5. I haven't seen the date wheel yet, since it should be a roulette also need to see the serif of the font.
  6. Crystal can be added with a gen (if it fits) or an after market one where maybe you can mod it
All in all, if someone like to have a "decent" 6542, I would recommend to build one, but for some DIY project, this rep will provide hours of entertaiment, especially stripping the paint off the bezel to make it more vintage. as blue to me is too dark (for an aged watch) and there are no paint cracks on it.

Soxxgo2

Renowned Member
2/2/15
Phoenix, AZ
I think the problem you're seeing with the lugs extending past the endlinks is that the lugs themselves are too long. You said the watch had a lug to lug of 48.5 which is very long for a 38.5mm watch. I don't think replacing the end links will make any difference at all. But I could be wrong about that. Do you have any other vintage bracelets that you could measure the end link dimensions against?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Funny enough, look what I found in my watch box. And this little fella happens to have a veeery nice (unsigned) bracelet...
36e7bedfb18404a2a610b431d253b153.jpg

Reactions: stufuse

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
I think the problem you're seeing with the lugs extending past the endings is that the lugs themselves are too long. You said the watch had a lug to lug of 48.5 which is very long for a 38.5mm watch. I don't think replacing the end links will make any difference at all. But I could be wrong about that. Do you have any other vintage bracelets that you could measure the end link dimensions against?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good point, by using 80 endlinks you could end up with the first bracelet link getting stuck with the lugs

Reactions: Soxxgo2