• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

TS Watch Vinatge Rolex ref.6542 - Watch Review

Fastman119

10/1/19
Wow, where to begin.

Received this watch in just 4 days from Hong Kong via DHL Express (what I imagine is a riskier form of shipping with customs).

When the watch arrived, I was immediately shocked by the level of detail for this price point (all-in, after conversion rates and transfer fees, it cost me $535).

For reference: this is their most expensive option, the ‘hand made’ listing with original replacement crown: https://www.ts-station.cn/goods.php?ProId=25466. The main measurable difference that I can is that the face is very well detailed/faux aged, whereas the others look to be created via some sort of machine printing technique. For me, the face is the most important part, so I shelled out the extra dough. Although after a closer look, it looks like the lume might be a bit more powerful too.

Here are some dimensions:

tf7H0.md.jpg
tfqeF.md.jpg

Lume:

tfLBr.md.jpg

Bracelet Construction:

tftNI.md.jpg
tfayo.md.jpg

Very impressed at the construction of the bracelet, its a much nicer version of the riveted links then I’ve ever seen before. Feels much closer to what a gen should feel like (a bit clanky with some stretch/give).

Glamor Shots:

tlZDe.md.jpg
tfBkK.md.jpg
tl6NT.md.jpg
tlWyA.md.jpg
tlzLQ.md.jpg
tlykf.md.jpg
tlJDX.md.jpg
tlCgp.md.jpg

Inaccuracies (that are apparent to me):
  • The case is brand new, so the edges are super sharp and the stainless steel brushing has no defects. Obviously, a watch that is truly ~60 years old will have some serious wear and tear.
  • The crown logo on the clasp is unfortunately significantly smaller than gen - although the bracelet construction is super solid, and the links feel genuine.
  • The movement, oddly, is a much higher frequency than the original. 6542’s from this time period should have an 18,000 bph movement, whereas this has a 28,800 bph movement.
Final Impression: While it's obviously a shadow in comparison, for probably ~ 1/3 the price of a true Tripdog masterpiece, the quality, look, and feel of this watch absolutely blow my mind. I’ve only held a gen 6542 once, so any other inaccuracies you guys see I would love to hear - in the meantime, this will be happily living with its siblings in my collection. Couldn't be happier!

tlR1s.md.jpg
tl0Lh.md.jpg

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5F2zwrFbkk&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

Fastman119

10/1/19
Soxxgo2 the links do use screws! They're very tough to notice, even when up close. Typical 1mm precision screwdriver was able to get them right out.

Reactions: Soxxgo2

NDJ2

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/11/16
Australia
It looks like they use the same aged hands but the hour indices are definitely different.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yes, I see it now. As fastman119 said above, on the expensive version the "face is very well detailed/faux aged"

I've had a look through all of TSWatch's handmade range, and their 6542 GMT is far and away the best. Some of their other 'handmade' models, eg 1680 Sub, 1655 Explorer, 5512 and 5513 are just terrible, and no better than the cheaper mass produced vintage Rolexes available from the other TDs.

It's a shame, as I'd love to buy a 1680 or 1655 built to the same level of quality and attention to detail as they've put into their 6542.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fastman119

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
  • The case is brand new, so the edges are super sharp and the stainless steel brushing has no defects. Obviously, a watch that is truly ~60 years old will have some serious wear and tear.
Yes^^^^^^^^^

Virtually the first thing I did was dig out some sandpaper and start 'softening' it! It needs to be abused a bit to get the new watch shine off, but easily done.

Reactions: KJ2020

ADINVA

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/5/18
Congrats! Looks really nice!

Quick question. Is the GMT hand independently adjustable?

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
This thing is really nice

Are the sel really that wiggly and loose ?

GingerBubba

24/10/17
This thing is really nice

Are the sel really that wiggly and loose ?

The SEL is pretty loose. I'm thinking to investigate at some point to see if it can be firmed up, perhaps fatter springbars etc.

NCRich

Raddave's favorite
Supporter
Certified
24/3/11
Looks like they used a Silix case. That would make the dial 29mm. Can't really tell from a picture. Probably glued in the plexi, which would be from a non-1675. Serpico probably because that is the only thing they could get in 29mm. But that is conjecture. If you take the case back off and take a pic of the inside of the case back that could confirm that.

Never mind. Just looked at the pics on TSWatch. Its not a silix type case.

Last edited:

defrostedguy

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
30/1/19
OMG! totally in love with this watch..
just bought a ARF submariner but i regret it after seen this, what a stunner!

Reactions: Fastman119

cheld

Renowned Member
Supporter
7/3/18
[*]The movement, oddly, is a much higher frequency than the original. 6542’s from this time period should have an 18,000 bph movement, whereas this has a 28,800 bph movement.

Maybe get the balance wheel, pallet fork, and escape wheel from a low-beat swapped in? Probably don't have to even remove the movement to do that.

Dan71

Renowned Member
24/4/15
Italy
Nice
GingerBubba visually the case thickness seem correct.. do you have misure the case thickness ?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando RWI

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Yup looks good I would definitely pull the trigger on that one! I would personally need to age the insert a bit along with a bit of scotch pad on the case but its definitely the deal of the week!

Fastman119

10/1/19
Dan71 NCRich I took a bunch of measurements here (within a few mm accuracy, I’m no pro with the caliper).

Wow, where to begin.

Received this watch in just 4 days from Hong Kong via DHL Express (what I imagine is a riskier form of shipping with customs).

When the watch arrived, I was immediately shocked by the level of detail for this price point (all-in, after conversion rates and transfer fees, it cost me $535).

For reference: this is their most expensive option, the ‘hand made’ listing with original replacement crown: https://www.ts-station.cn/goods.php?ProId=25466. The main measurable difference that I can is that the face is very well detailed/faux aged, whereas the others look to be created via some sort of machine printing technique. For me, the face is the most important part, so I shelled out the extra dough. Although after a closer look, it looks like the lume might be a bit more powerful too.

Here are some dimensions:

tf7H0.md.jpg
tfqeF.md.jpg

Lume:

tfLBr.md.jpg

Bracelet Construction:

tftNI.md.jpg
tfayo.md.jpg

Very impressed at the construction of the bracelet, its a much nicer version of the riveted links then I’ve ever seen before. Feels much closer to what a gen should feel like (a bit clanky with some stretch/give).

Glamor Shots:

tlZDe.md.jpg
tfBkK.md.jpg
tl6NT.md.jpg
tlWyA.md.jpg
tlzLQ.md.jpg
tlykf.md.jpg
tlJDX.md.jpg
tlCgp.md.jpg

Inaccuracies (that are apparent to me):
  • The crown logo on the clasp is unfortunately significantly smaller than gen - although the bracelet construction is super solid, and the links feel genuine.
  • The movement, oddly, is a much higher frequency than the original. 6542’s from this time period should have an 18,000 bph movement, whereas this has a 28,800 bph movement.
Final Impression: While it's obviously a shadow in comparison, for probably ~ 1/3 the price of a true Tripdog masterpiece, the quality, look, and feel of this watch absolutely blow my mind. I’ve only held a gen 6542 once, so any other inaccuracies you guys see I would love to hear - in the meantime, this will be happily living with its siblings in my collection. Couldn't be happier!

tlR1s.md.jpg
tl0Lh.md.jpg

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5F2zwrFbkk&feature=youtu.be

Reactions: Dan71

Soxxgo2

Renowned Member
2/2/15
Phoenix, AZ
Two quick snaps as I rushed to work.... the sun is barely up, but at least there's a bit of natural light.

Does the gilt part of the dial have any of that metallic quality that the gen has? From this pic it sort of looks that way but in others it doesn't. After cny this is coming my way!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

GingerBubba

24/10/17
I'm not sure I know exactly what you mean. I've never seen a Gen irl. Studying photos of Gens, it seems pretty good to me, but whether it has the gilt you're on about, I'm afraid I'm not sure.