• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

TS Watch Vinatge Rolex ref.6542 - Watch Review

cheld

Renowned Member
Supporter
7/3/18
I'm not sure I know exactly what you mean. I've never seen a Gen irl. Studying photos of Gens, it seems pretty good to me, but whether it has the gilt you're on about, I'm afraid I'm not sure.

On a "true gilt" dial most of what you see as gold isn't ink but the dial plate shining through the black surface. It's a multi-step process to produce these dials.

Reactions: Martycus

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
On a "true gilt" dial most of what you see as gold isn't ink but the dial plate shining through the black surface. It's a multi-step process to produce these dials.

Ahhhh, I see. Well this looks to me like it's just been printed on top.

GingerBubba

24/10/17
Although I'm not 100%. It's really hard to see.

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
I'm not sure I know exactly what you mean. I've never seen a Gen irl. Studying photos of Gens, it seems pretty good to me, but whether it has the gilt you're on about, I'm afraid I'm not sure.

What he is asking is if the text on the dial metallic at all and reflect light...or is it just gold paint that doesn't *shimmer*

Reactions: Soxxgo2

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Yup Gilt dials are definitely a thing of beauty! I am lucky enough to have one from Bart Cordell he applied a gold leaf to the plate and then applied a decal print over top they can be tricky to photograph to capture the light right, but IRL they are magical to stare at <3 Thanks again Bart You're the man!!

GingerBubba

24/10/17
Ok, so this is definitely not a gilt dial, but it is a cracker. If you've long hankered after a Bakelite bezel, you need to get on this. 1:1 with Gen? Not even close (though as said above, the bracelet is the most obvious tell - and I'm not sure there are better ones on the market any more, unless someone knows otherwise).

In spite of its faults, this is a stunningly beautiful new addition to your collection.

3Fr2q.jpg

3SVS0.jpg

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
I so wish to try my hand with one... let's hope my dealer can get one after CNY.
thanks for the pics GingerBubba

Reactions: Replica01

GingerBubba

24/10/17
I so wish to try my hand with one... let's hope my dealer can get one after CNY.
thanks for the pics GingerBubba

If your TD can't get hold of it, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend TSWatch. I know that's not the done thing and they have something of a murky history on here, nor will I use them again for a normal purchase as I'll revert back to Mary of Mary Watch, but I have to say, the transaction and process was flawless.

By the way, I should be thanking you - for building my only other vintage piece that I picked up M2M (which I also love). I don't have any decent photos of it unfortunately, but this is from the sales thread:
3So3X.png

SuperTopGun

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
10/2/15
Ok, so this is definitely not a gilt dial, but it is a cracker. If you've long hankered after a Bakelite bezel, you need to get on this. 1:1 with Gen? Not even close (though as said above, the bracelet is the most obvious tell - and I'm not sure there are better ones on the market any more, unless someone knows otherwise).

In spite of its faults, this is a stunningly beautiful new addition to your collection.

3Fr2q.jpg

3SVS0.jpg

Hello you can show us 2 photos of the strap the part of the closure

Albertonanana

9/1/17
Aesthetically speaking imho: the crown shape is totally wrong, the OYSTER PERPETUAL lettering is too low respect to the ROLEX one and the bezel number font is too thin.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando RWI

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Aesthetically speaking imho: the crown shape is totally wrong, the OYSTER PERPETUAL lettering is too low respect to the ROLEX one and the bezel number font is too thin.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando RWI

A decent aftermarket bezel on eBay costs as much as this whole watch if not more.

Reactions: 369mafia

Dpap

Renowned Member
Gold Patron
Certified
20/6/13
Eh...once you swap in a decent dial and bezel you are well over 1k at which point you might as well buy one of yodog’s builds...

Reactions: SuperLory

GingerBubba

24/10/17
I'm glad you guys have pointed out these glaring inaccuracies compared to a Gen watch that you'll never see in real life ever.

Personally I'm swayed by your arguments and will never wear this monstrosity again. I would offer to give it away to someone for free, but I'd hate to subject another person to this abomination. I shall just throw it in the bin forthwith. Cocks.