• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

1680 Red (at it again)

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
We’ll I’ve been at it again with another 1680 Red Submariner. Watch came to me modestly modded but in need to some serious rework and cleanup. Along with the basic work I took some time to experiment and hone in on some of the small, subtle details:

- A2813 movement for the slow beat movement of the sweep hand

- Cartel case as a basis for the design - reshaped lugs, recut chamfers, reshaped CG’s, and repolished

- Clark’s crystal

- RT hands, aged in all natural Pacific Ocean salt water then relumed with the dial

- Dial is a stock Cartwl dial that was maybe a bit overzealously painted. Dial was cleaned and then relumed

- WSO bezel assembly eased and repolished

- WSO insert faded and aged to a navy blue/black. Service pip relumed to match dial and hands

- Case countersunk for Athaya crown and tube. Edges eased

- Lugs drilled out for 2mm spring bars, WSO 580 end links installed, and bracelet modified to work with 2mm spring bars

- DWO cooked to a slight yellowish tone

Enjoy!

hxDnr.jpg

hxZ5I.jpg

hxEfo.jpg

hxpzL.jpg

hxbjK.jpg

hx10e.jpg

hxJ5T.jpg

hxUfA.jpg

hxnbQ.jpg

Reactions: gunsmoke16610

gunsmoke16610

FIVE-Digit
Patron
Certified
23/10/18
Amazing what a little skill can do to a Cartel. Great job on the lime and case work. A 1680 is next on my list.

ADINVA

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/5/18
May I ask how did you age the hands? Just simply soaking in a glass of water soak with salt?

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
To age hands I use a 1500 grit sand paper to very, very lightly scuff up the surface in all directions. Then I soak the hands in an organic sea salt water and vinegar mixture overnight. I take the hands out and let them air dry - don’t bother dabbing off the liquid when you pull them out.