• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New 6542 - budget factory option by TS-Station

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
LOL!

I have a three year old daughter which is one of those rare specimens of high needs babies/toddlers, and if that wasn't enough we had another baby this last October. I can tell you there is absolute no way I can sleep less, haha.

SELL your wife, daughter and baby ... BUY more watches :rollingonthefloor:

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Nono, they need to get a good job asap. So I can buy more watches and tools!!!

Well ... you could ship them to Hangzhou so that they will build your own watches ;)

Bart Cordell

I'm Pretty Popular
14/7/15
This is my negative relief decal dial with gold leaf applied to the dial before the decal applied
VMwx7g.md.jpg

I have to correct you… not gold leaf, it's gold plated ;)
Whatever, it's a beautiful build my friend !

Reactions: 369mafia

djulink

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/9/14
Hi Gents,

I received the watch on Saturday (it left from factory on Tuesday...with EMS…damn fast if you ask me)

here’s a family shot:as

I wanted to have a little time to play with the watch and setting it right before getting back to you and give my thoughts.

bracelet is really shitty (those end links are stupid, not even rounded to accept 2mm bars...) so I made a mix of a Riyi one I had laying around (I just kept the clasp of the one provided with the watch as it is better in shape than Riyi’s) and used old WSO I had from an ancient Big Daz build (with a little incision on each holders) to use Sputim proper shaped 2mm spring bars. That way, both WSO seat in a better position than OOB and bracelet feel more comfortable.

Lugs are indeed too long but it does not bother me that much, even less since I replaced end links, WSO and bars. So that’s not a major issue for me but I understand it could be for some.
And I think that would be the most hard modification to get done.

Watch head is quite well assembled but movement tabs are indeed too short; so I replaced them with longer ones to secure movement in the case properly as I can’t stand when it is not.

bezel really needs to be secured as it can pop off easily OOB; once it is dismantled, just take the spring out and accentuate corners before putting it back in place.
coin edges are not as deep as they should be (if you compare with VN builds or Gen) so sharpness is useful for easy use, imo. And that is why I won’t sand them (but maybe a color change later).

middle case, on mine, is not engraved @ 6 o’clock but it is @12 (with a "6542 REGISTERED DESIGN” properly punched and not lasered as many of you already stated). It does not bother me that much; I did not like the ones I saw on previous pics because they are obviously bigger than they should be and I’ll probably have the engraving serial done at proper size later on.

caseback quality is quite impressive considering the price paid for the entire watch. I’ve been used to see that kind of proper shape and engravings only on (more expensive) VN builds.

crown is wooby and I think that stem might be a little short as it is really tricky to set gmt hand and date precisely before screwing the crown back in place.
Tube was not completely screwed in OOB, but it is now.

All in all, I’m pleased with the watch because I’ve been wanting a 6542 for a long time but was never able to get one (always too late on M2M...)... even though it required some small adjustments and finitions to get it really right. At least in my views.

cheers !

Last edited:

superh3ro

Known Member
26/3/17
Hi Gents,

I received the watch on Saturday (it left from factory on Tuesday...with EMS…damn fast if you ask me)

here’s a family shot:

I wanted to have a little time to play with the watch and setting it right before getting back to you and give you my thoughts.

bracelet is really shitty (those end links are stupid, not even rounded to accept 2mm bars...) so I made a mix of a Riyi one I had laying around (I just kept the clasp of the one sales with the watch as it is better in shape than Riyi’s) and used old WSO I had from an ancient Big Daz build (with a little incision on each holders) to use Sputim proper shaped 2mm spring bars. That way, both WSO seat in a better position than OOB and bracelet feel more comfortable.

Lugs are indeed too long but it does not bother me that much, even less since I replaced end links, WSO and bars. So that’s not a major issue for me but I understand it could be for some.
And I think that would be the most hard modification to get done.

Watch head is quite well assembled but movement tabs are indeed too short; so I replaced them with longer ones to secure movement in the case properly as I can’t stand when it is not.

bezel really needs to be secured as it can pop off easily OOB; once it is dismantled, just take the spring out and accentuate corners before putting it back in place.
coin edges are not as deep as they should be (if you compare with VN builds or Gen) so sharpness is useful for easy use, imo. And that is why I won’t sand them (but maybe a color change later).

middle case, on mine, is not engraved @ 6 o’clock but it is @12 (with a "6542 REGISTERED DESIGN” properly punched and not lasered as many of you already stated). It does not bother me that much because I did not liked the ones I saw on previous pics are they are obviously bigger than they should be and I’ll have the engraving serial done at proper size later maybe.

caseback is really impressive considering the price paid for the entire watch (I’d been used to see that kind of proper shape and engravings only on (more expensive) VN builds).

crown is wooby and I think that stem might be a little short as it is really tricky to set gmt hand and date before screwing the crown back in place. Tube was not completely screwed in OOB, but it is now.

All in all, I’m pleased with the watch because I’ve been wanting a 6542 for a long time but was never able to get one (always too late on M2M...)... even though it required some small adjustments and finitions to get it really right. At least in my views>

cheers !

Its like you read my thoughts exactly.

Very quick shipping. Bracelet is shitty, 3 screws fell out of mine, but luckily I read about it before it happened so was able to proactively loctite each screw. I was able to bend the endlinks on a flat surface, and while they dont sit flush, there is no play so im happy with it.

Everything on the watch is sharp, lugs, crown, bezel, but not sharp enough to cut anything. Think I will keep it as is for now - the bezel is probably the worst feeling because it feels rough and slightly sharp.

My bezel was also very loose when i got it. Very easy to pop off, but adjusted the tension ring and now its fine.

Movement wise, it is very hard to turn and set the time. Not smooth, not loose. Also difficult to wind the watch as it will catch on the crown tube (short stem?).

That said, I am also very happy with the watch. My point of reference is a Noob V7, ARF Daytona, and many gen rolexes from all vintages.

PIXxuSQ.jpg

Last edited:

ADINVA

19/5/18
Its like you read my thoughts exactly.

Very quick shipping. Bracelet is shitty, 3 screws fell out of mine, but luckily I read about it before it happened so was able to proactively loctite each screw. I was able to bend the endlinks on a flat surface, and while they dont sit flush, there is no play so im happy with it.

Everything on the watch is sharp, lugs, crown, bezel, but not sharp enough to cut anything. Think I will keep it as is for now - the bezel is probably the worst feeling because it feels rough and slightly sharp.

My bezel was also very loose when i got it. Very easy to pop off, but adjusted the tension ring and now its fine.

Movement wise, it is very hard to turn and set the time. Not smooth, not loose. Also difficult to wind the watch as it will catch on the crown tube (short stem?).

That said, I am also very happy with the watch. My point of reference is a Noob V7, ARF Daytona, and many gen rolexes from all vintages.

PIXxuSQ.jpg

Hi! Did you relume your GMT? Looks puffy and nice!

djulink

4/9/14
Startin’ to mess with it. Got rid of the Serpico line as I could not stand it anymore. Using a nail job remover from the wife, it left a hollow still. Not unbearable but there. It’s quite tricky to do because the GMT master line is very close...

V2GQ4K.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Hinclimincli

SuperTopGun

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
10/2/15
Can’t seem to take this one off. Favorite bit is the rare non-service gen crystal with proper outsized date mag yodog sourced somehow. If I were a one watch guy this would be it.

9809731ddf1846bd0c0047e4a733b4f7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Friend where this comes from

SuperTopGun

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
10/2/15
Same place the rest in this thread come from - TS. With a few alterations of course ;)

It is possible to know specifically the changes made

donerix

I'm Pretty Popular
9/2/09
Nicaragua
I built a few 6542s back in the day and I would say this is a great starting point. The case looks way better than any of the cartel offerings back then and the insert seems to be close to the ND trading one which used to be the best option and was around $400 alone. If you want a 6542 this seems like a great way to go.
Now if they would just make a 1655 I would send them my money too :)

Reactions: SuperTopGun

djulink

4/9/14
Can’t seem to take this one off. Favorite bit is the rare non-service gen crystal with proper outsized date mag yodog sourced somehow. If I were a one watch guy this would be it.

9809731ddf1846bd0c0047e4a733b4f7.jpg

I like the way your insert looks

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I’ve contacted TS via the message service on their site and am waiting for them to reply. I’m going to order the “vintage bracelet” option. I fell in love with the plastic insert 6542 the moment I saw it, and this is such a great budget option by all accounts.

I’ll probably look out for a replacement dial as I really don’t like the S&L branding added to this one (why on earth did they do it? Perhaps “more things printed on it” equates to “better”...)

I’m following this thread with interest, to see what others do with theirs.

Now, if only TC would do a PloProf...