• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New 6542 - budget factory option by TS-Station

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Indeed! All in all I'm dead chuffed :)

How's the bracelet fit, HEL-to-case? Thinking about trying the folded bracelet. Placed my order 5 days ago, still waiting for a Mastercard in the mail to make payment:mad:

Last edited:

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
How's the bracelet fit, HEL-to-case? Thinking about trying the folded bracelet. Placed my order 5 days ago, still waiting for a Mastedcard in the mail to make payment:mad:

It's quite decent, but I had to take it off and bend it/close a little as it wasn't tight enough. All in all very good now, just bear in mind that this was designed 60 years ago so don't expect anything near the new 6-digit oyster bracelets:
​​​

Reactions: KJ2020

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
By the way, don't know about yours but the lume is strong with this one!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
It's quite decent, but I had to take it off and bend it/close a little as it wasn't tight enough. All in all very good now, just bear in mind that this was designed 60 years ago so don't expect anything near the new 6-digit oyster bracelets:
​​​

That actually looks quite good after bending. I do like the rivet bracelet better, but thought the folded one looked a little better quality.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
That actually looks quite good after bending. I do like the rivet bracelet better, but thought the folded one looked a little better quality.

Thanks mate! It does look very good actually, for a replica of a 60 year old watch bracelet. If I'm not wrong, you can still buy very good aftermarket rivet bracelets. There are some good references in this same thread.

Mendota

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/10/08
MN
It also has more sharp edges than a chainsaw, by the way. Will have to get my hands dirty with some wet sand paper or a wooden block.

Which edges do you sand? Where do you start and where do you stop? Just curious, as this can apply to so many of these vintage projects. Or do you literally go over every single edge you find?

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
Whenever anyone wants to sell theirs CONUS... let me know. I need one. ????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Which edges do you sand? Where do you start and where do you stop? Just curious, as this can apply to so many of these vintage projects. Or do you literally go over every single edge you find?

Mainly the bezel, as many have mentioned its really sharp cut. The inside of the lugs is insanely sharp too, I'm thinking of using it to slice my bacon every morning (NOT). But apart from that, I think the rest is absolutely fine.

​​​​​

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Right, two questions:

1. How are your bezel actions? Is it too tight/loose? Mine is a bit loose and I wonder what could I do (no, I'm definitely not using the bloody dental floss trick). I'm not in a hurry, it's just something I'm looking to improve when I have some time.

2. Crown. Mine is quite wobbly and I noticed the tube is slightly longer than the crown so even with the crown fully screwed it still has part of the tube out. See this pic:

As I want to grease the gaskets and clean up the dial and hands, I'll probably take the stem out so I'm wondering if there's anything I can do.

Again, these are really minor things and the watch is absolutely perfect as it is!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Right, two questions:

1. How are your bezel actions? Is it too tight/loose? Mine is a bit loose and I wonder what could I do (no, I'm definitely not using the bloody dental floss trick). I'm not in a hurry, it's just something I'm looking to improve when I have some time.

2. Crown. Mine is quite wobbly and I noticed the tube is slightly longer than the crown so even with the crown fully screwed it still has part of the tube out. See this pic:

As I want to grease the gaskets and clean up the dial and hands, I'll probably take the stem out so I'm wondering if there's anything I can do.

Again, these are really minor things and the watch is absolutely perfect as it is!

Thanks for posting a pic of the tube issue. Something I will check for on QC. ARF has somewhat frequent instances of tubes not being properly seated in the case, resulting in a similar appearance. One member fixed this by carefully grinding down the exposed tube just enough to allow for the crown to be flush. Obviously the movement needs to come out and I would pack the tube opening with some Rodico or similar.

IDK how the bezel assembly works on these, there's probably a retaining washer between the assembly and the case. Perhaps a 2nd one could be added, or two glued together and then sanded some to equal 1.5x thickness, etc. Maybe Hor-Fan can chime in as he's had the bezel off.

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
Right, two questions:

The bezel assembly is held in place by an octagonal paper clip tension spring, you can pop it off without much effort. To increase the tension, I would try putting slight vertical bends in between the existing horizontal bends on the spring.
To close the gap between the crown and case I would sand a little off the front of the tube after the stem is pulled and the gasket removed.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
The bezel assembly is held in place by an octagonal paper clip tension spring, you can pop it off without much effort. To increase the tension, I would try putting slight vertical bends in between the existing horizontal bends on the spring.
To close the gap between the crown and case I would sand a little off the front of the tube after the stem is pulled and the gasket removed.

Nice one, thanks so much. I will check first that it's properly screwed in and then sand it a little bit. I can't do it now as I'm on holidays and don't have the proper tools but will definitely have a look at that.

I didn't knew about the bezel, will definitely try to tighten it a bit as that's something that I can definitely try even without special tools. EDIT: Just did the job on the bezel. My 3 year old daughter pulled the bezel off by accident (don't ask me how, kids have some special power of randomly breaking stuff), so I took a look at it. Bent the spring as Hor-Fan suggested and indeed it's properly tight now. The bend has to be very slight or you won't be able to put the bezel back in. Next step, sanding the tube (and probably finding a new bracelet)

Last edited:

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Forgive me father for i have sinned...

While I am an absolute fan of the looks and heritage of vintage watches, there's one thing that I struggle to get past: their bracelets. I find them flimsy, rattly, uncomfortable. So I decided to install the new Oyster bracelet I have on my DJF Datejust, and... Wow! I'm really digging the look!

Reactions: KJ2020 and Hor-Fan

Mendota

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/10/08
MN
Forgive me father for i have sinned...

While I am an absolute fan of the looks and heritage of vintage watches, there's one thing that I struggle to get past: their bracelets. I find them flimsy, rattly, uncomfortable. So I decided to install the new Oyster bracelet I have on my DJF Datejust, and... Wow! I'm really digging the look!

Same here. I have a brand new spare GMTIIc bracelet still in the wrap. I think it would look killer on this. A blend of new and old!

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Same here. I have a brand new spare GMTIIc bracelet still in the wrap. I think it would look killer on this. A blend of new and old!

Veeery niiice! I actually have a noob 116710LN v8 CHS incoming early next week. Might give it a try!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Interesting look with solid oyster. I might try this with a 5 digit flip lock bracelet, no PCL, no polished link sides. That's about as far as I'm willing to mix generations. Those are great bracelets too.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
It takes 1/3rd of tool watch away, for 1/3rd of formality. And it makes it look a bit thinner, of just more flat, for some strange reason. I don't have a 16710 bracelet but I wouldn't ming trying that option too, sounds very interesting!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I got my QC pics. Everything looked OK except the crown looked a little out. So I asked if it was screwed all the way in, and to please send me a pic showing it from the back along the crown side.

So they sent me pics with crown screwed all the way OUT!

15557341596870.jpg

Maybe that was a good thing IDK. It looks to me in this pic like the tube is sticking out too far, like it wasn't installed properly like ARF does on Subs sometimes. Can you guys tell if this looks bad? Does yours look like this with the crown unscrewed?

If yours looks like I think it should (no tube showing) could you please post a pic so I can show them this issue? Thanks!

Hinclimincli
Hor-Fan
Thrasher

Last edited: