• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New 6542 - budget factory option by TS-Station

Mendota

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/10/08
MN
Jsebwc I found the Rolex Passion Report article I was looking for that discusses the transition from radium, to lower concentration of radium, and then to tritium. It shows the various dial variations and some of the certificates that Rolex issued to owners to prove their watches were tested and safe. It has the recall notice, the sticker, and then a few Rolex test lab reports and certificates that gen owners have provided when their watches went in for dial replacements or insert replacements! Very cool pics in here. http://rolexpassionreport.com/316/th...lamation-mark/

Here's another, even more detailed article on Rolex Passion report about the history of Rolex lume. This one is even cooler!
http://rolexpassionreport.com/15606/the-evolution-of-rolex-luminous/

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Jsebwc I found the Rolex Passion Report article I was looking for that discusses the transition from radium, to lower concentration of radium, and then to tritium. It shows the various dial variations and some of the certificates that Rolex issued to owners to prove their watches were tested and safe. It has the recall notice, the sticker, and then a few Rolex test lab reports and certificates that gen owners have provided when their watches went in for dial replacements or insert replacements! Very cool pics in here. http://rolexpassionreport.com/316/th...lamation-mark/

Here's another, even more detailed article on Rolex Passion report about the history of Rolex lume. This one is even cooler!
http://rolexpassionreport.com/15606/...olex-luminous/

Yes I've read those articles and are a good source of information on the markings and use of Radium lume. I dont know how much you know about the use of Radium lume on early production watches but do a search on the "radium girls" its about the woman that worked in the watch factories applying the radioactive lume to watch dials , etc and see how that all ended up...not very pleasant I warn you now.

Yes the exclamation mark ! I have a ! on my 1675 again courtesy of Bart Cordell. This was his first 1675 dial attempt early in his dial creation days and I love it!! Its gilt, gloss , negative relief ( like my 6542 dial) Its a SCOC dial and has the EXCLAMATION POINT at the 6 . I hope I am not mudding the thread too much with this but its all gmt's and it is an early model..

Its a cartel bp based build - s

BP case pointed crown guards , drilled lugs , thinned case , aged
WSO Bezel assembly with insert
Relumed hands
raffles small gmt hand and slim caseback
clarks 25-116 crystal
Bart Cordell gloss gilt ! dial

various inserts aged based on mood.

VQ3gDp.md.jpg

VQ3FNs.md.jpg

I need to take some pics of the two gmt's together.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Full hand made Modified Bar - what modification of the clock would it be?
https://www.ts-station.cn/goods.php?ProId=25636,

That's the same "hand made aged dial" but with an allegedly Swiss movement instead of the asian GMT one. As far as I know there's no swiss version of the 2836 with GMT, only the Hangzhou 6306s (which is this one). So essentially you are getting a franken Swiss movement with Chinese parts.

Reactions: clacor64

clacor64

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/12/18
That's the same "hand made aged dial" but with an allegedly Swiss movement instead of the asian GMT one. As far as I know there's no swiss version of the 2836 with GMT, only the Hangzhou 6306s (which is this one). So essentially you are getting a franken Swiss movement with Chinese parts.
ok, so no change / processing of the case, classic Cartel case

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
Yes I've read those articles and are a good source of information on the markings and use of Radium lume. I dont know how much you know about the use of Radium lume on early production watches but do a search on the "radium girls" its about the woman that worked in the watch factories applying the radioactive lume to watch dials , etc and see how that all ended up...not very pleasant I warn you now.

Yes the exclamation mark ! I have a ! on my 1675 again courtesy of Bart Cordell. This was his first 1675 dial attempt early in his dial creation days and I love it!! Its gilt, gloss , negative relief ( like my 6542 dial) Its a SCOC dial and has the EXCLAMATION POINT at the 6 . I hope I am not mudding the thread too much with this but its all gmt's and it is an early model..

Its a cartel bp based build - s

BP case pointed crown guards , drilled lugs , thinned case , aged
WSO Bezel assembly with insert
Relumed hands
raffles small gmt hand and slim caseback
clarks 25-116 crystal
Bart Cordell gloss gilt ! dial

various inserts aged based on mood.

VQ3gDp.md.jpg

VQ3FNs.md.jpg

I need to take some pics of the two gmt's together.

Yes, I have heard of that documentary. I haven't watched it but I have heard it is pretty sad. I read stories about how they would lick the tips of their paint brushes before applying the radium lume paint to dials, and people in general knew so little about radioactivity back then that they were adding radium to toothpaste! Unbelievable.

That GMT is spectacular. What a great build and I love that first photo with the map and the compass. The colors you created in the insert are intoxicating!

Bart really does a nice job with his dials. I might have to reach out to him when I start some of my projects. I remember watching his first dial attempts years ago and it has been fun to see his experiments take shape. He has perfected his technique!

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Finally got QC pics, yay!

Just to clarify, this means the watch is not water resistant at all, right?

I'll check gaskets on back and crown and re-test locally, but I assume the challenging part here is the crystal.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Yep, most likely the crystal seal.
Mine showed a pass.

d3b2ec304aea27f4f1a46f6444b78b1c.jpg

Oh! How strange! Anyway I don't usually trust these tests, but will look into potentially replacing the crystal + seal. Are there any decent options from the usual suspects? (Clarks, WSO, etc.)

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Seeing some spectacular results here guys, and a great watch to start with. Already placed my order but having to wait for a freaking Mastercard to arrive in the mail to make payment. I've bought from TS recently with no issues (they used to take Visa but no more). Last time was good service, good watch.

Here's a nice gen to compare to, some good pics

https://robertmaron.com/product.php?productid=17920

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
Seeing some spectacular results here guys, and a great watch to start with. Already placed my order but having to wait for a freaking Mastercard to arrive in the mail to make payment. I've bought from TS recently with no issues (they used to take Visa but no more). Last time was good service, good watch.

Here's a nice gen to compare to, some good pics

https://robertmaron.com/product.php?productid=17920

No sh#t... would you look at those lugs with the jubilee? The tips hang over the edge of the HEL. Hmmm. Does anyone know if the HEL for the jubilee is shorter than the HEL for the rivet 7206? It must be. Perhaps the jubilee bracelet is the solution to addressing the lug issue. Would the rep vintage jubilee have the same HEL dimension?

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Little piece of 6542 history, sold for an astonishingly low price of $160K in 2010. Compare this to the $17.8 million the PN Daytona raised. Not considering the "value", there's no doubt in my mind which watch I'd rather have.

https://www.christies.com/lotfinder/Lot/rolex-a-very-rare-and-attractive-18k-5367839-details.aspx

Gold-6542.jpg

Well, while I agree that's a gorgeous watch, between a full gold watch and THE Paul Newman Daytona I think I'd definitely go for the latter.

​​​​​

Reactions: SuperLory

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Well, while I agree that's a gorgeous watch, between a full gold watch and THE Paul Newman Daytona I think I'd definitely go for the latter.

​​​​​

Me too, but that's what I meant by not considering the value. I'd sell the PN and buy a bunch of awesome gens like the 6542! I find the PN model to be likeable but his specimen is nothing I would want to wear. It's pretty mediocre in appearance and I dont travel in circles where I need the notoriety of a celebrity pre-owned. Man for that kind of money you could buy so many nice pieces!

Reactions: Mendota

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Well look what came in the post today! You guys were absolutely right, this hits the jackpot for anyone that wants a cool looking vintage icon watch:

(if only they cleaned their hands before assembling the movement & dial watch... -now I'll have to open it and clean the dust spots beneath the crystal-)

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
It also has more sharp edges than a chainsaw, by the way. Will have to get my hands dirty with some wet sand paper or a wooden block.

Reactions: KJ2020