• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New 6542 - budget factory option by TS-Station

nikoel

I'm Pretty Popular
22/2/16
So first up I've created this new thread because originally this one here: https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...depth-dial-gmt was made to showcase a beautiful custom build by tripdog. It feels disrespectful to be discussing a factory made watch in the same thread

I'm not an expert in vintage watches, especially the 6542. I have been however flirting with the idea for a very long time; tried doing my research and the more I did, the more I had to face it that I need an actual expert in this topic. After consulting with many, looking at threads like these: https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...ino-gmt-master and recently talking to tripdog himself and it very quickly became apparent that Im for $2000AUD for the most basic descent build and I was well over my head. I will not be able to offer advice that will be anywhere close to what the builders on this site can. But I will try to help where I can -

So on the 5th of January TS Watch released this: https://www.ts-station.cn/goods.php?ProId=25465

This is not the first time that a factory tried releasing a 6542. The most infamous (for all the wrong reasons) was the puretime showing years ago. The albino monstrosity is bellow

http://i.imgur.com/5RpHjni.jpg

5RpHjni.jpg

So... Yeeeeeeeeah... The suckers who bought this watch hoping they could scavenge even a few molecules for a build, last time I checked, they could not even accomplish this
Now the new version by TS-Station looks a lot more respectable. I know what you're thinking; that's a low fu%#$ing bar Niko. To which I can only say 'Good point.'

So first up my analytics will be based upon the video and pictures not the real thing. When I am making judgements, it's based upon $350 off bucks that you're spending; not $6.5K USD for a phong. So it's probably all false anyway, so use your own judgement and make your own conclusions and remember if you get this watch and you think it's the fu^&ing bomb, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. But yeah - this is not a society build - never will be. If you are hoping it is; it aint. End of story.

giphy.gif

First up the two versions. To my eyes the first is exactly the same at the second. No difference. Well... except for the second version you're paying $100.00 extra for a guy to put the dial in the oven for a few minutes and then scrape it along the floor of the factory a few times. But he does that *GASP* - by hand. So yeah, you're indeed, technically, kinda, getting a hand made watch

First the case. At first glance it's okay. It doesn't look as good as the vietnam spec case. But it's not a fair comparison in my eyes at the $ tier is out of the stratosphere. The question is, for 300 odd dollarydoos what am I getting. At a glance it's a much better case than cartel 1675 equivalent. But the caseback has me asking questions. Might be once again too tall. Don't know.

Based on history of these, the lugholes most likely need to be drilled out

But I got good news. The crown guards are perfect in this one! It's 1:1 to gen and no one will second guess; ever. Now go look at your cartel, BP 1675 and hang your head in shame

The crown is perfect too

The insert... is not quite to my tastes, but since a replica one off ebay can be had for around $250 USD, I'm not going to complain. Especially since you need to see the watch in person to make your verdict

The dial... yeah... meh... looking at the exact same dial version that yodog did in the original thread. It's not great - it aint horrible either.

Hands look okay
The handstack is obviously gen too

I like the datewheel. Especially the print and the fact it wasn't made on vibrant bright disk. It is left justified; but only slightly

The movement... needs to be converted, chucked out, burned. Even a 21J GMT conversion would have been miles better than this, and cheaper... It baffles me as to why they chose that movement. Yeah look at my 1950's vintage rolex with a higher beat-rate than the modern AP's...

Thinking of converting? Look here: https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...-vintage-build

Or get the Hangzhou movement. If that exsists and can be packed into the case. I don't know

I don't like the bracelet (from the video) I would put the watch on a strap. But thats me

So here you have it. Now you're as uninformed as I am about the new release. Let's get it and dysect it and see what it's really like.

Last edited:

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
The more expensive “hand made” version has a better bracelet as well.

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Thanks for creating a separate post for this.

My thoughts are this:

Case set looks good nice bevels and overall shape looks good. The case set and bezel assembly alone are worth the pick up!

Bezel assembly looks good. needs to be aged . Tripdog does spend alot of time reluming and aging the inserts for his builds to make them look authentic.
This TS insert assembly has potential with some aging He had done my insert and it looks awesome. IRL

Handset looks good the gmt hand is the proper shape but it doesn't look like the lume matches the dial as one would hope.

The dial. to me its the let down. in the video it looks cheap under bright light. and even though the printing looks good the "gilt" doesn't do it for me. I am biased as I have a gilt negative relief dial from Bart Cordell

I would need to see it in person. Could use some aging but i think for most its acceptable at this price point. I would like to see it IRL.
I wish they went with just a standard GMT dial and not double stamped special edition. I have never seen a photo of a gen 6542 with the Serpico dial , and now we are gonna see a bunch of them lol

The bracelet looks like the WSO rivet well made but not accurate. again fair for the price point.

I think that this is a good value for what you see in the pics and is an excellent jumping off point. This watch with a bit of ageing and some slight tweaks would satisfy most I think. Overall for the price point its a definite grab,only thing that would stop me is being scammed out of my money as they are not TD and have never dealt with them

I would buy this.
age the case and bezel
swap the dial
and enjoy!

here is a pic of my build that cost a heck of a lot more in time and $$$ than this one being offered.
Cheers

NDJ2

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/11/16
Australia
I would be interested in this and their other hand made models but as they aren't a trusted dealer I'm not sure it's worth the risk.

yodog

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
2/9/11
In my parent's basement
Someone buy this and test it out for the sake of the vintage world. For $350 bucks I think it can even be salvaged for parts and it would still be worth it. The insert, datewheel, hands, movement can all be transplated into a gen spec case which is far superior in shape and should save quite a few bucks

ssouthall6

10/10/13
I agree it looks good other than the dial, might get one next month if I can move on some watches I've got sat with modders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: hm242408

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
I already asked my TD about this, he says he will check if it's available

Reactions: 369mafia

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
I have a spare gen spec dial and I am highly considering getting this to send to yodog to take a look and give his opinion!! I have been wanting to do a cheaper Tiffany dial build and this might be my chance!

Reactions: BobAustin100

yodog

Patron
Certified
2/9/11
In my parent's basement
^ well thats all perspective isnt it? A gen 6542 dial probably upwards of $5K, and a rep dial is around $250. Yuki has cheaper choices but might as well keep the stock one on this watch since Yuki dials are shit

cheld

Renowned Member
Supporter
7/3/18
Reactions: Bubbe Back1

jjjonwhite

Patron
Certified
25/1/12
Uk
Didn’t that dealer used to be “trusted” here?
I logged into the website and have an old account with an order on there from 2012 !!