• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tudor Prince Oysterdate 9080/0 restoration.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
The Tudor brand dates back to 1926, when the house of “Veuve de Philippe Hüther”, a Swiss watchmaker registered the trademark 'The Tudor' in Geneva for Hans Wilsdorf. The Tudor brand was transferred to Hans Wilsdorf in October 1936, leading to the formation of “Montres Tudor S.A” 10 years later, just after the Second World War.

YGmrp.jpg

YG4RX.jpg

This watch was purchased as water damaged. The case was in reasonable condition, as was the 7836 bracelet. The Tudor 9080/0's were made from the early 70's till the mid 80's, this one dates from 1981.

YGAws.jpg

YPVph.jpg

The original Tudor ETA calibre 2784 is going to need some serious restoration so it was replaced with an ETA 2824, the original date wheel fits the new movement so it was swapped over.

YPudD.jpg

YPKnU.jpg

The Tudor Jumbo Prince Oysterdate 9080, to give it it's full title, looks a lot like a Rolex Date Just - except it's bigger - a whopping 38 mm across, excluding the crown.
The case and bracelet were re-finished, and the dial cleaned up - not 100% perfect as there was something on the surface which was very difficult to remove, not sure what it was.

YPpr8.jpg

YPvw3.jpg

The hands were dirty and the lume had reacted strangely with something (the humidity maybe) so I stripped off the lume, cleaned and polished them and then relumed them.

YPIzb.jpg

YPQd2.jpg

The colour doesn't exactly match the tritium lume on the dial, but I did this on purpose as the dial lume has turned a slightly drab gray/brown colour, so I lumed the hands with a slightly warmer sepia colour brown to compliment the dial better, the color of which changes according to the light, from pale champagne to a pale gold sepia.

YPcnd.jpg

YPn5Z.jpg

The crystal was beyond repair as the cyclops was quite badly scratched, fortunately I had a NOS Tudor crystal in my stock.

YPefR.jpg

YPxzg.jpg

Thanks for looking.

frankfrank

Beaches
6/2/16
Nice job trip turned out great. I do like the hand lume color with the dial. Especially in that whopping 38mm case... ;)

Reactions: tripdog

Nur-Uhr

Time Machine
Patron
Certified
20/2/17
EU
Amazing restoration job again.

The history to this watch type is also interessting. I did not know that Tudor build such "big" dresswatch in the past. I think this was not so common or untypical for a dresser.

The watch looks incredible.

Stuessi

Renowned Member
9/6/16
The finished watch Looks amazing, especially considering how dirty and used the watch was at the start! Really great work as usual! :)

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Nicely done brother. I recently acquired a jumbo case set and was surprised to find out how large the dial opening was on these cases...these jumbo dials are huge...in the 30-31mm range!

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Nice project and good results! Did you consider reluming the dial too?

schtozo

19/12/15
Great work trip! Its always nice to go through your threads, specially the narrative part. Very lovely and nostalgic!