• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Lume Practice

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
I was graciously donated a couple of dials to continue practicing lume work - a 1680 and 6538.

The 1680 is a standard Cartel dial, relumed with a creamy offwhite tone. Of particular note, studying gen dials, it appears the lume should be fairly flat with only a slight pillowing. I’ve tried to capture that aesthetic here. In addition the hands were aged in Pacific Ocean saltwater with a touch of organic apple cider vinegar.

The 6538 is a faux gilt dial. Again, studying dial examples, the lume pillows but isn’t overly chunky. In this instance I experimented with a two tone line process. First applying a thin layer of lighter lume then adding a dollop of darker shade in the middle. Unfortunately I didn’t contrast quite enough. Next go around I’ll sharpen the difference. Like the first, the hands were aged in a custom crafted solution of Pacific saltwater and organic ACV.

Enjoy!

TSRzZ.jpg

TS0dR.jpg

TSkng.jpg

TSxra.jpg

TSGfy.jpg

TSwzG.jpg

TSldq.jpg

TSg06.jpg

TSF50.jpg

TSYfF.jpg

jimcon11

Known Member
25/6/17
Nice job, they both look really accurate to me.

I've been having the opposite problem where I do the first thin layer and then when I try to build it up, the lume just concentrates in the center and darkens it, while none will go to the almost-transparent perimeter without messing up the fine edges I had made.

Mind sharing your recipe and technique ?

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
I use Noctilumina - http://www.noctilumina.com/

I usually mix some combination of G15F with AG40F, AG44F, TG45F, and AN98F. Then I add Binder 3 until the mix is like brownie batter - kind of thick but with some viscous properties.

The light creamy tone was 1/3 of G15F, AG40F and TG45F.

The dark yellow tone was 1/3 G15F, AG44F, TG45F with a dash of AN98F.

I try to get the lume done in one pass. With the brownie batter consistency, I use a medium Oiler to place a droplet in the middle of the plot. The droplet should hold its form and not ooze outwards. I clean my Oiler then “float” the lume to the outer edges. By “float” I mean that I tap up and down as I guide the lume. Once spread I check for flatness and pillowing. I add/remove accordingly. Once satisfied with the amount I float the middle of the lume droplet to form the slight pillowing.

My attempt to blend colors was done at this last stage of luming. I added a small droplet of the second color to the middle/top and blended a little bit. Like I mentioned, I could have been more contrasting.

Reactions: jimcon11

ADINVA

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/5/18
Wow, this looks so natural. Love the colours!

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Continuing with my lume practice and experimenting, tonite I have a sterile faux-gilt submariner dial from RT. For this one I tried a different technique. I applied the lume as I would normally but once the plot was done I “dry brushed” some dark brown lume pigment onto the top of the wet lume. By dry brush, I mean I took the oiler fresh and still with some wet lume on it, dipped it into a pile of dry pigment, then carefully applied the dry pigment granules to the plot.

I think it’s a fairly successful attempt at aging tritium that has turned inconsistently dark and pebbled on the top of the plot.

Because it takes a little extra time, I had to mix a second batch of lume half way through.

hx2Ap.jpg

hxPls.jpg

hxfbh.jpg

hx8qD.jpg

hxiMU.jpg

hxSA8.jpg

Reactions: asa13

jimcon11

Known Member
25/6/17
Your lume skills are pretty good, thanks for the overview of your process. I need to work on getting the same smoothness you do. I should probably just buy the Noctilumina kit instead of the 7 dollar Amazon stuff :)

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Because I have no life, another dial:

Sterile 5513 RT dial with a faux, dark aged tritium.

7Ku3o.jpg

7KVCI.jpg

7EASr.jpg

7Er6F.jpg

7E490.jpg

Reactions: 369mafia

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
What was you mix for the last dial? I’m thinking of ordering a small kit from them. I want that last color you did.

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Dizzy I’ve been so many I did this last one without noting the mix. I’m pretty sure it was 1/2 AN98F and 1/2 TG45F. I will do another dial tomorrow and try that to confirm. I’ll get back to you.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
some of the guys actually mix flour in the lume to make it more puffy

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
This is th unfortunate story of a Yuki Red 1680 dial. Purchased M2M but discovered the paint was not properly adhered when the dial started to flake apart. Super disappointed, I promptly did my best to repair it. It was okay but never to my liking. Decided it would be a fun dial to experiment on - so I bring to you The Ocean Found Dial.

I can imagine the story of a chap always in search of a bargain. Excited to find a vintage 1680 Red submariner on Craigslist, he buys it. But after bringing it to his local AD for authentication is told it’s a fake! He promptly tosses it into the ocean. After years of tumbling around it washes up to shore, to be found by me! Yay!

Enjoy!

decbQ.jpg

denjf.jpg

dee0X.jpg

desAp.jpg

jimcon11

Known Member
25/6/17
Ocean Found Dial? I'm sorry, that's actually the Brown Delicious :abnormal:

jZEnG.png

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Continuing the lume work - this time it’s a 5513 meters first with a burnt ochre lume repsenting an dark aged tritium.

4KYRR.jpg

4K7mg.jpg

4KOpy.jpg

4Kqoa.jpg

(Excuse the dust on the dial)

Superdome

Horology Curious
12/9/19
Hi guys,
I wanted to catch upd on this great thread! Thanks a lot for posting the great information so far, i learned a lot!

Any tips on how to remove lume without damaging the dial?
Also, where do you buy the "practice dials"? Seems like a yuki migth be a bit costly to mess it up.