• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

[Custom Made] Rolex MK1 "Kissing 40" FAT FONT Bezel Insert Project

mumum

Renowned Member
18/1/07
This bezel is nails

VzXlSK.jpg

VzXY2A.jpg

Love the fading of the insert...did you do something to it?

buubdaman

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/4/18
Haha, thanks for the insights. I agree. I'd hate to artificially mess around with something killer like this and ruin it.

This 1680 is 7 years old. I wear it almost daily in the summer. The lighting here sucks, but if you can see, my hour markers have faded to a lighter cream color just from natural sun exposure. When the watch was new, the markers had more of a darker, mustard color to them. They need to be textured, however, but that is a project for another day. The insert is still like new after 7 years of sun. I think a new Slay insert with my vintage pip would rock!
5ae84a1435f9127511b75d58a8ea8c3d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

They use blacklights (purple ones) for artificial colouring. Leave it in a room for a few days straight.

Thanatos

Renowned Member
Certified
10/2/12
EU
This is real love to art. Congrats to you, Slay!
Amazing work and finishing. I‘ve seen a lot the last 15 years doing vintage and aging, but this is outstanding.

deadpan

1/6/19
Over the horizon
Purchased one of slay inserts for my 1680. I’ve had a number of inserts on my 1680; cartel that came with the watch (really stubborn to bleach) couple of eBay cheapies/ one used phong that I ghosted, and now this one. I wanted a much darker insert than my ghost bezel, but still a bit of ageing. Just finished ageing and install, and it look great! Here’s my inspiration;
And here’s mine after some light ageing with bleach / wire wool (very lightly) and a bit of careful scratching (under a very bright desk light)

Reactions: gunsmoke16610

Mr Seamaster

Renowned Member
27/4/12
Im gonna push that one.. does someone know if slay still has them for sale?
Tried to contact him 2 weeks ago but no answer yet.

Singapore9

Patron
9/8/10
Just found this thread whilst doing some Googling. Would be great if @slay was able to give us some different options from CAC or alike.

The insert in this thread but in a dark blue for a Tudor Submariner would be awesome!

However, I also know Slay has had some 'difficulties' with M2M, but perhaps manufacturing these could be a way to rebuild?

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
Just found this thread whilst doing some Googling. Would be great if @slay was able to give us some different options from CAC or alike.

The insert in this thread but in a dark blue for a Tudor Submariner would be awesome!

However, I also know Slay has had some 'difficulties' with M2M, but perhaps manufacturing these could be a way to rebuild?
Unfortunately Slay isn’t selling inserts here anymore. I tried to get him to sell me a couple of these fat fonts (I’ve bought them before also) but he says he can’t right now. Is there even another place to buy these things For a reasonable price?

Singapore9

Patron
9/8/10
Unfortunately Slay isn’t selling inserts here anymore. I tried to get him to sell me a couple of these fat fonts (I’ve bought them before also) but he says he can’t right now. Is there even another place to buy these things For a reasonable price?
I don't think he is allowed to sell here at the moment :(

I guess Crown Art Customs is always a potential but I haven't seen him post anything for sale via ebay in months.

This is not nearly as nice but it is an option (very expensive postage): https://www.ebay.com/itm/225873814473

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
I don't think he is allowed to sell here at the moment :(

I guess Crown Art Customs is always a potential but I haven't seen him post anything for sale via ebay in months.

This is not nearly as nice but it is an option (very expensive postage): https://www.ebay.com/itm/225873814473
$75 shipping and $80 for the insert? No thanks. Not paying $75 shipping that’s just a rip off. Doesn’t look too bad though.

Singapore9

Patron
9/8/10
$75 shipping and $80 for the insert? No thanks. Not paying $75 shipping that’s just a rip off. Doesn’t look too bad though.
Yeah - shipping is craaaaaaaaaazy! But then MQ quoted me 320USD for an insert (similar to CAC?) so... half the money? Someone buy 10 and we'll split the shipping :ROFLMAO: