• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Clebar “Big Eyes” Chrono Restoration Project

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
I picked up a gen, mid-seventies, Clebar “Big Eyes” Chrono for $20. Watch was in fair shape: case worn, missing pusher, rusted stem, some rust on the movement, cracked crystal, and not keeping great time. I figured with a new crystal, thorough cleaning, and a couple new parts it could be a great watch again.

Fastforward several months, I finally got a replacement stem from Germany, pusher from China, and ultrasonic cleaner from Pennsylvania. I’ve torn the movement and watch apart, cleaned everything, and catalogued each part with its respective screw in a pill container.

Made some good progress this evening after cleaning everything yesterday (rust is all gone), reassembled and oiled the gear train and keyless works. Pallet fork and balance is installed - everything is winding and setting smoothly - balance is moving freely - and it’s ticking away presently. Pleased with the progress on my first chronograph full tear down, cleaning, oiling, and rebuilding

Next is the chorongraph complications.

iZxif.jpg

iZkZQ.jpg

iZgZh.jpg

Original movement and dial above (before cleaning)
iZGIX.jpg

Catalogue of parts
iZlxs.jpg

iZoXp.jpg

iZFFD.jpg

Partially rebuilt movement

frankfrank

Beaches
6/2/16
This is a really cool piece

i love the natural patina color on that dial !

BarbossaBBN

Horology Curious
14/7/18
Thank you for sharing your progress so far! Looks stunning. And best of luck for completing it :)

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
i9D0R.jpg

Was hoping to have more of an update today but the chrono complications were a bit slow going. I mistakenly rotated two (you’d think I would have learned my lesson after one...) eccentric screws while disassembling. Lesson learned: DO NOT touch eccentric screws!!! The one adjusting the second hand chrono mechanism was fairly easy to adjust but the minute chrono complication took FOREVER.

Anyways, all the wheels are turning correctly, smoothly, etc.

To be continued.

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Made some good progress this evening:

- movement fully reassembled

- new pushers installed into case, stems cut to correct length

- dial and movement installed into case

- hands set, beautiful alignment

- stem cut to length, crown installed

The chrono, pushers, winding, and time setting are all working properly. I still need to wrap up a few bits and make a couple of tough decisions.

- new internal crown gasket

- need to fit a new crystal

- new case back gasket

And the two tough questions:

- Relume or leave it alone???

- What kind of strap/bracelet?

ifr2a.jpg

if4tg.jpg

ifB6y.jpg

ilVSG.jpg

il6Qq.jpg

ilK36.jpg

ilz90.jpg

ily6F.jpg

ilISr.jpg

Stuessi

Renowned Member
9/6/16
interesting read and the movement looks really great now! Is this your first movement work or did you start with something easier before?

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Well, I decided to relume. Hardest lume job I’ve done yet! Those skinny numbers...ia, ia, ia. In addition to that some of the outlines to the numbers came off. Not only did I relume but I had to touch up the black outlines. For the lume I used a slightly thicker mixture to avoid seepage. Good choice for that reason but the thicker the mixture, the harder it is to control the lumpiness.

I chose a darker yellow-khaki tone for the quality of being aged but without being a mucky-green-black.

I think the quality and tone is period correct. Thoughts? (I could always do it again...)

FcnTD.jpg

FceCU.jpg

Fcs38.jpg

Fc993.jpg

PS. After this I definitely don’t fear those ginormous Explorer Dial fonts.

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Project complete with crystal installed, gaskets sealed, and vintage BoR bracelet with aftermarket TG endlinks.

h6DdX.jpg

huAzf.jpg

h6E5s.jpg

h6u0p.jpg

h6pfh.jpg

h6vbD.jpg

h61jU.jpg

h6Q08.jpg

h6U53.jpg

frankfrank

Beaches
6/2/16
I thought the original lume looked great

Up close the dark stroke around the lighter lume looks cool now but from farther away the numbers get lost in the dial and have less contrast

These are just my personal preferences and I think you are doing a great job on the restoration of this piece and overall looks fantastic