• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex 6542 Serpico y Laino Re Depth dial GMT.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
RGkNd.jpg

Serpico Y Laino was a jewellery store that was in operation from 1925 to 1966 in Caracas, Venezuela, run by 2 Italian immigrants, Vicente Laino and Leopoldo Serpico.

RG21Z.jpg

During a trip to Switzerland in the early 1930s, and they managed to negotiate exclusive distribution rights in Venezuela for a - at the time - small watch manufacturer called Rolex.

RGGLR.jpg

They also later became the sole distributor for another luxury watch manufacturer - Patek Philippe.

RGwkg.jpg

Venezuela was a wealthy country at the time, and Serpico y Laino was the leading watch retailer in Caracas until its closure in 1966, after forty years of activity.

RG8Da.jpg

Many of the watches that they sold bore the "Serpico y Laino" line on the dial, and some had an "S&L" engraving on the back.

RGggy.jpg

Whilst the Serpico Y Laino dealer stamped dials are similar in nature to the Tiffany & Co ones, Serpico Y Laino was a much smaller company than Tiffany and stopped production fairly early, meaning the Serpico Y Laino dials are rarer than Tiffany dials.

RGS1G.jpg

Having a Serpico Y Laino co-branded dial generally adds about three-times the value of the standard version to a given watch. . .

Thanks for looking !

Last edited:

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Thanks for posting, that’s absolutely stunning, is that your own

Thanks. No, it's not mine, it's a build done for a member on the forum.

pallino

Known Member
17/2/14
Serpico Y Laino dial, Tiffany dial, Cartier dial.......
how many swindles around the world....

Aidy

Known Member
27/8/16
Thanks. No, it's not mine, it's a build done for a member on the forum.

Well it’s gorgeous, I actually saw a gmt for sale which you made and it’s made me research it, I’ve been looking at buying the case etc and ask you if you’ll build it but didn’t want to pester you with questions galore. So hopefully when I’ve sourced everything I’ll reach out to you and see if you’ve time. Cheers anyway

Reactions: tripdog

pallino

Known Member
17/2/14
don't you know, mate ?
I've read in watches fora in my own country about some old foxes working with false swabs....
many tens thousand euros....
I'm talking about "gens market" of course, not about your stunning buildings, magister

SuperTopGun

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
10/2/15
I see a lot of people who are dedicated to building high-quality vintage replicas, but the king of undisputed kings is only one TRIPDOG

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
BLOWN AWAY!!
man-blown-away-wind.jpg

DUDE!! It was only earlier this year we were talking about how rad it would be to do a red depth , etc on a dial and then here we are, nearing the end of the year and the dial makers are doing 3 extra colors and it looks fantastic! These dial makers are another level!! I have studied the 6542 for a while now and I have never seen a Serpico Y Laino 6542 !! The time line would line up and it would be plausible. I would love to see a gen example.

This NEXT LEVEL !!!

Just an awesome build!

tenor.gif

sunrayminor

Renowned Member
22/4/13
Australia
RGkNd.jpg

Serpico Y Laino was a jewellery store that was in operation from 1925 to 1966 in Caracas, Venezuea, run by 2 Italian immigtrants, Vicente Laino and Leopoldo Serpico.

RG21Z.jpg

During a trip to Switzerland in the early 1930s, and they managed to negotiate exclusive distribution rights in Venezuela for a - at the time - small watch manufacturer called Rolex.

RGGLR.jpg

They also later became the sole distributor for another luxury watch manufacturer - Patek Philippe.

RGwkg.jpg

Venezuela was a wealthy country at the time, and Serlico y Laino was the leading watch retailer in Caracas until its closure in 1966, after forty years of activity.

RG8Da.jpg

Many of the watches that they sold bore the "Serpico y Laino" line on the dial, and some had an "S&L" engraving on the back.

RGggy.jpg

Whilst the Serpico Y Laino dealer stamped dials are similar in nature to the Tiffany & Co ones, Serpico Y Laino was a much smaller company than Tiffany and stopped production fairly early, meaning the Serpico Y Laino dials are rarer than Tiffany dials.

RGS1G.jpg

Having a Serpico Y Laino co-branded dial generally adds about three-times the value of the standard version to a given watch. . .

Thanks for looking !

Another Exceptional piece mate. Thanks for sharing and the Info :) Love how you have 4 different colours on the dial. Those guys in Nam are really doing an awesome job!

Reactions: tripdog

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Another beautiful 6542, this dial with its 4 colored inscriptions is really unique. Well done is not enough :)