• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex ref' 6240 Daytona.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
971e8.jpg

The first automobile races were organized on the beach at Daytona, FLA in 1902. In 1959 that the race was run on an asphalt track - the newly opened Daytona International Speedway.

97JB3.jpg

Rolex first served as the Daytona race track official timekeeper in 1962, one year before launching the Cosmograph Reference 6239.

97UNb.jpg

This model was conceived expressly for race car drivers -the tachymeter scale on the bezel is significantly larger than its counterparts on most other watches.

97ny2.jpg

Initially produced as a prototype in 1965, the 6240 stands out from previous Daytona models by featuring screw-down pushers - this made it the first really water resistant Dayton.

97MHd.jpg

The model was only produced in steel, and with a Bakelite bezel.

97skZ.jpg

It was produced in very limited numbers due to the fact that it was still a prototype, and also due to the modest success it generated.

979DR.jpg

Spec's on this build:

Reworked Vietnam case.
Phong MKI bezel.
Phong MK I chrono pushers.
Phong hands.
MQ dial.
Rolex 702 crown.
V72 movement.
Rolex 78350 bracelet and clasp.

Thanks for looking !

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
This is one of the nicest builds I have ever seen. Astonishing.

Reactions: tripdog

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
Dear Trip, again I don’t possess the vocabulary to commend your work on this. Lucky ass buyer…
Is there any way of knowing how many “big Daytona” and bakelite bezels was actually made?

Would you speculate that this piece is a build as well?
https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/daytona--id8981305.htm
Same movement

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Thanks everyone for your comments - much appreciated !

Dear Trip, again I don’t possess the vocabulary to commend your work on this. Lucky ass buyer…
Is there any way of knowing how many “big Daytona” and bakelite bezels was actually made?

Would you speculate that this piece is a build as well?
https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/daytona--id8981305.htm
Same movement

That one is gen - strange about the movement though.

It would be almost impossible to know how many 6240 Bakelite bezel models were produced - you could make an educated guess based on the production period and the serial numbers, but it would only really be a good guess.

Reactions: johnlogan

Riverwind85

26/4/18
[mention]tripdog [/mention] this is a dream build, congratulations!
Just a question, is the band period correct?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk