• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Buying a Rep vintage Rolex Date just 1601

Hozathebest

Horology Curious
28/9/18
Hello guys

I am new in here, So as the title says I am looking to buy a replica vintage Rolex Date just 1601 with Blue dial, and Would like some mods on it to look more genuine. Would really appreciate the help directing me to who can do this for me and who sell vintage replicas in here. I researched the trusted dealer but seems not to find the vintage watches. Thank you.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Hozathebest As I already told you answering your PM (which you did not bother to answer :p) there is no Out Of The Box replica of the Rolex 1601.

About the case your options are as follows :
1 -keep an eye on the sales as a modded 1601 can be put on M2M
2 - buy a datejust case and have it modded to 1601 specs (a little expensive but easy)
3- buy a datejust case and mod it yourself to 1601 specs ("cheap" and rewarding but hazardous)

About the blue dial it really depends on what you want :
1 - blue "stella" dial ... you can buy one from Yuki but it will never be genlike for some reasons
- if I'm true Role released its stella dials only on President (Day-Date) models so all DJ stella dials are refinished ones
- I've never had a Yuki stell dial in hands but from the pics it seems they lack the tiny shift between the central dial palte and the bevelled circle around it (more seasoned members please correct me if I'm wrong

RAp7r.jpg

2 - sunburst blue pie-pan dial (silver or gold indexes and writings) ... I'm afraid you will have to search for a gen one ... there is one valaible on the bay for $810 + shipping fees

RAvnI.jpg

3 - sunburst "blue modded" silver pie-pan dial ... you can find a decent one for about $150 + shipping and modd it to light blue (not that tricky) ... inevitably light so that the color doesn't hide the writing in black ... it won't be genlike but it will be "gen specs" (modded but still real Rolex dial)

​​​​​​​
RBQAq.jpg

About the movement ... it will depend on the way you go with the watchcase and the dial

Whatever path you take :
- it wont be cheap but not amandatorily $$$ (unless you go Gen of course)
- it wont be easy but really interesting and rewarding
- it wont be fast but the more we wait for our grails the more we appreciate when we have it in hands

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Hozathebest are you still here ?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Well, you tried!!!

Yeah ... seems that guy is asking questions then leave the place.
HE PMed me a few days ago asking for advices about a 1601 build, I gave some then waited for an answer ... nothing :confused:
Let's see if he comes back when my own 1601 build is finsihed :p

Reactions: cpd2186

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Ha yeah great help, hopefully it will still go towards others searching for this

I’ll post better infos in a specific topic if I ever achieve my own build ????

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

J___

M2M Stalker
Patron
Certified
3/7/14
He probably made an account solely to ask that question and when he found out that there wasn't one readily available, he just dipped lol.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
He probably made an account solely to ask that question and when he found out that there wasn't one readily available, he just dipped lol.

Probably but still sort of unlikely as, if I'm true, few people even know about the 1601 model ever existing ... just like the 6429.
But you^re certainly true as his last visit on RWI was 14/09.

-prick

15/1/17
great info thanks! manodeoro

i was looking at the stella dials on yuki not too long ago
they are quite pricey even though they dont look gen like at all
too bad no one on the forum seems to own this dial for personal experience opinions.

never heard of those sunburst "blue modded" silver pie-pan dials
quite interesting, as silver dials are more common gen and rep ..i think
do you know more about how they get modded?

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
great info thanks! manodeoro
i was looking at the stella dials on yuki not too long ago
they are quite pricey even though they dont look gen like at all
too bad no one on the forum seems to own this dial for personal experience opinions.

What I said ;)
Neither have had one of those Yukis in hand but it really looks like they lack the shift between the central dial plate and the bevelled circle around it.
One can clearly see that shift on a Gen side pic.

I'm thinking about building a specific tool to mod standard sunburst dials to pie-pan sunburst dials but though the engineering is easy the building is definitely not.

MVMFX.jpg

never heard of those sunburst "blue modded" silver pie-pan dials
quite interesting, as silver dials are more common gen and rep ..i think
do you know more about how they get modded?

You never heard of those just because ... they do NOT exist yet :p

The pic in my post is photoshoped but I'm exploring the idea to really do such a modd
I would use the same method I already used for modding a Valentine's Day 16234 DJ for my wife (see pic below).
I worked on a Rep dial for that DJ (no risk on my first attempt with that method) but I'm negociating with a HK dealer about a Gen 1601 pie-pan dial.
If I can get it at a fair price I will take my chance on modding it ... crossing my fingers not to wreck :( a $$$ dial.
If I succeed I will post some pics here ... and if result is good enough I could consider doing that modd for others but that's another story for the time being

MVsQp.jpg

-prick

15/1/17
What I said ;)
Neither have had one of those Yukis in hand but it really looks like they lack the shift between the central dial plate and the bevelled circle around it.
One can clearly see that shift on a Gen side pic.

I'm thinking about building a specific tool to mod standard sunburst dials to pie-pan sunburst dials but though the engineering is easy the building is definitely not.

You never heard of those just because ... they do NOT exist yet :p

The pic in my post is photoshoped but I'm exploring the idea to really do such a modd
I would use the same method I already used for modding a Valentine's Day 16234 DJ for my wife (see pic below).
I worked on a Rep dial for that DJ (no risk on my first attempt with that method) but I'm negociating with a HK dealer about a Gen 1601 pie-pan dial.
If I can get it at a fair price I will take my chance on modding it ... crossing my fingers not to wreck :( a $$$ dial.
If I succeed I will post some pics here ... and if result is good enough I could consider doing that modd for others but that's another story for the time being

hahaha thanks for the reply
i see ;)
sounds exciting! looking forward to your future mod-inventions ;)

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
hahaha thanks for the reply
i see ;)
sounds exciting! looking forward to your future mod-inventions ;)

Thanks ;);) will let you know about all that stuff ... I've just stumbled on another 28mm DJ pie-pan dial at such a fair price that it seems too good to be true but I'll see where it goes.
One more thing about the Stella dials is that, as far as I know, a DJ Stella dial CANNOT be genlike because there is NO Gen DJ Stellas.
It seems Rolex produced President (Day-Date) Stella dials only.
Nevertheless I will try to build my own green Stella DJ dial (fantasy one) just for the fun and because I would like to put one in a 1601 case.