• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Fully Reworked Cartel 1675

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
I challenged myself to rework a Cartel, BP Factory 1675 as cheaply as possibly. With that I present to you a Cartel 1675 transformed to 100% Gen, 1:1, AAAA+, Special Quality specs!

Ha! Kidding. But seriously, here’s what I was able to do...
Parts:
-BP Factory Cartel 1675 with A2813 $150
- Raffles All Red Hand $14
- Esslinger DG3804B $45
Mods:
- CG’s reshaped
- Lugs Narrowed and changers increased
- Case slimmed .7mm (over all thickness with crystal and case back is 13.6mm)
- Case Back Gasket re-grooved
- Bezel machined and reshaped
- Insert Faded
- Dial relumed and textured (applied lume removed)
- Hands relumed
- Case back reworked with flat, brushed center
- Gaskets siliconed
- Case, case back, and bezel repolished
- DWO installed on DG3804B (I noticed it looks off centered in pics - I promise it’s actually centered. I’ll upload a new pic when I have a chance to prove it)
Mods Yet To Be Done:
- Drill lug holes to accept 2mm bars (bits are still en route)
- Age and attach bracelet
For a $200 watch, I think this turned out pretty nice. Is it as good as a $1500 Vietnam build, no! Could it be improved with aftermarket dial, bezel, insert, and crystal, yes! There are some things that could improve the next time I rework a Cartel but overall it was a fun challenge. Let me know what you think.
Thanks for looking!
bqg1U.jpg

bqFL8.jpg

bqYk3.jpg

bqdVb.jpg

bqqg2.jpg

bqO1d.jpg

bqtOZ.jpg

bqasR.jpg

bq5Vg.jpg

bqBga.jpg

Reactions: blackboxes

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Thanks!
Everything (except movement and red hand) including DWO is stock BP Factory (Cartel).

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Working on a tight budget is always a challenge. Well done!
I like the CB especially, I tried that once and I swear it ain't no joke if you're doing it by hand LOL

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Ha! Thanks! I did the case back by hand - files and sand paper.

zinduna

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
4/7/09
Good for you! Turned out really well.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

eddy@manu

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
5/1/17
mine greets you
c47e53aa2357c305f3168dffa6101a4f.jpg
d616fa7bf912b2d52b153a90b7377183.jpg
e66559581b836d0330fb0ab0a8f969b3.jpg

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

gunsmoke16610

FIVE-Digit
Patron
Certified
23/10/18
You did a great job. Its nice to see people dive in and transform a cartel!

Solution6

Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Gold Patron
Certified
14/8/19
London, UK
That's some big work, amazing effort, case looks great.

A thing I'm trying to address is the depth of the dial - reckon this could be improved by shaving the rehaut a bit? of course, lower the plexy as well.

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
That's some big work, amazing effort, case looks great.

A thing I'm trying to address is the depth of the dial - reckon this could be improved by shaving the rehaut a bit? of course, lower the plexy as well.

Doesn’t hurt to try. The most likely issue you’d want to head off is the hands hitting the crystal. Do some measurements ahead of the experiment. And of course post a good how to and such.

Reactions: Solution6

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
hanski ... you did a REALLY GOOD job so congrats !!!
Plus it looks like you reworked the case by hand and I know that it's definitely NOT easy ...

some suggestions, if I may ...

The crown already sits low on the cartels, and it seems you thinned the case removing material from the down side of the case ... making the crown sit even more low ...
Next time you rework such a case, and if you can have access to a lathe of course, it would be better to slim it on the upper side ... then the crown will sit higher on the case side ...
Plus ... working this way, even if you shave the rehaut a bit to make the dial sit higher, the plexi will still sit high enough above the bezel as the bezel will sit lower itself ... only issue could be about the hands hitting the plexi as you already noted so you should have to proceed step by step and carefully ...

You did a really good job brushing the caseback but you could have used a lower grade sandpaper (though the brushing is often "faded" on those vintage pieces) ...
Brushing with a lower grade is not easy but you can get good results using that method :
- stick the sand paper on a flat surface
- fix a ruler on it
- put the caseback on a movement holder (the flat part of the caseback should protrude about 1 mm)
- slowly draw the caseback on the sandpaper using the ruler as a guide