• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tudor Submariner ref. 7922

jimcon11

Known Member
25/6/17
I don't think I've posted this on this forum. The Tudor 7922 has been my daily wear watch for about 8 months now. This was my first relatively expensive build and I learned quite a lot. It's still a work in progress... seeing these high res pics made me realize how terrible my lume work was. I plan on fixing that soon. I would love to get some gen Tudor flat hands; to me the hands are the most obvious sign this is a rep, followed by minor details of the dial fonts. The dial was hard to get at a reasonable price and has gone a bit tropical, in these pics at least. I tried to simulate the burnt dial look that most 50s Tudor subs have; for some reason the gloss and text on them does not hold up as well as most of the Rolex gilt dials.

pdIgX.jpg

pdCIp.jpg

pdqxg.jpg

Try to ignore the huge crack in the crystal and the lame cartel rivet bracelet.. I almost always wear it on a 60s Tropic dive strap.

I posted a much longer build thread on rwg if anyone is interested in the details.

Quick specs are:
Case: 6538 from Ruby (some late 7922's used the 6538 case until the 7924 production began)
Dial: Viet gilt
Movement: ETA 2451 no hack 18,000bph
Hands: JK, unknown seconds
Crown & tube: Athaya
Insert: Phong 6200 (closest to early style)
Crystal: GS pa462-19m (don't know anything else that fits)

Comments & critique are welcome .

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
I think its a rather nice build and the lume job is not that terrible :)

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
absolutely sweet, lume a bit thick for me but not bad....;)

jimcon11

Known Member
25/6/17
Thanks for the kind comments. I believe lume will be removed and reapplied before too long, most gens I've seen have thinner plots.

Just curious how long have you been tinkering with watches???

I got started with a Silix and HR 6538 about this time last year. I used to build model airplanes though and most of the skills translate.

I​​​​​​ still have a long way to go if I want to make an actually convincing vintage watch. For instance, with this watch the correct thing to do is probably decal print the dial at home; I have never seen a rep that was accurate to the fonts Tudor used. In fact, I have already made the dial in photoshop, if anyone wants to print it for me :p

Last edited:

andre_hav

Horology Curious
16/7/18
A beautiful watch.
I am also currently building a Tudor Submariner, it´s my first try, can you give me a hint where I can buy the dial?

jimcon11

Known Member
25/6/17
A beautiful watch.
I am also currently building a Tudor Submariner, it´s my first try, can you give me a hint where I can buy the dial?

Thanks. I was lucky enough to find the dial on m2m on rwg. The only source I know at the moment is MQ, vintagewatchmq.com. He gave a "best price" of 750 dollars, which was a strong no for me. It's the only dial that is reasonably close though, most of the ones I've seen are laughably inaccurate.

vkItZ.jpg

Reactions: andre_hav

andre_hav

Horology Curious
16/7/18
Thank you for your answer and your help. You are right, a lot of dials are horrible bad, but 750$ is a lot of money for it. Currently I think about a dial from yukiwatch which costs 120$, the bad thing, shipping costs 45$.

LEBLANC

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
26/3/17
I think you did a great lume job! I’ve found this picture of a gen 1955 Rolex Submariner ref.6536 and they look pretty identical :)

rol_man

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
25/7/08
Nice looking vintage, the important thing is if you like and enjoy it, that's all that matters. 99.9% of the people out there don't know the difference anyhow!
Enjoy and keep tinkering, it's a great hobby!

watchengsketch

21/5/17
Great build! I've got a couple of builds going right now but seeing these pictures makes me want to add another one to the list.

jimcon11

Known Member
25/6/17
Thanks everyone, I appreciate it.

I've worked on this watch a fair amount since I started the thread, adding a new decal printed dial (more accurate text), modded hands, new insert, crystal, etc.

VUJsXo.jpg

VUJ2zb
VUJnir.jpg

Reactions: phdsjain

jimcon11

Known Member
25/6/17
Where did you get the upgrade dial? Did you end up going for the MQ?

Nah, MQs would be basically the same as the one I originally had. I made my own using decal paper, based on a photo of a gen 7922 dial, so all the markings are straight off the real thing. Check out the decal dial thread for more on that process.

I'm not totally happy with this dial and I'm planning to make another eventually .. gold plated instead of just brass, cleaner lume application, more matte surface and heavier aging.

Countess Koscowicz

1/1/20
UK
Desperate to get a case to start a similar build but can’t see a relevant case on rubys site - anyone got any ideas of a good base or case for the build?

Last edited: