• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My Heuer Autavia GMT

Dino2018

Patron
Certified
14/3/18
Dear all, here I want to introduce you to my Heuer Autavia GMT. It was my first truly vintage watch and belonged to a close friend of mine, a Spanish racing legendary driver of the 60s and 70s, who used to race (and win!) with a Porsche 911 R, a 2.4 ST, a Carrera RSR 2.8 and finally a 3.0 RSR. If there are spanish rally fans around the forum probably will know who was him. This was one of his personal watch during those days of glory and he gifted to me on 2005.

As far as I know, and please correct me/ add information if I am wrong, is a second series Heuer Autavia 1163 GMT from 1972, or so I've been told. It is a very beautiful chrono of the era and should be among the very first automatic chronos with GMT complication. Here are some pics I took yesterday to share with all you. I love that is a RHD watch and that faded Coca-Cola bezel insert.

IMG_3391.jpg

IMG_3386.jpg

IMG_3352.jpg

IMG_3366.jpg

IMG_3371.jpg

IMG_3387.jpg

IMG_3389.jpg

And finally next to his younger broter, my 5513 rep :)

IMG_3383.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the pics. It is a lovely watch.

Regards,

Dino

Jaqueslepro

6/3/18
Dino my friend,

what a beautiful watch and what a great story behind it! Lovely and a timeless piece of horology!

Wear it in good health and viva Mexico!
J.

Reactions: Dino2018

lolo1972sg

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
3/10/15
Sillypore
Dear all, here I want to introduce you to my Heuer Autavia GMT. It was my first truly vintage watch and belonged to a close friend of mine, a Spanish racing legendary driver of the 60s and 70s, who used to race (and win!) with a Porsche 911 R, a 2.4 ST, a Carrera RSR 2.8 and finally a 3.0 RSR. If there are spanish rally fans around the forum probably will know who was him. This was one of his personal watch during those days of glory and he gifted to me on 2005.

As far as I know, and please correct me/ add information if I am wrong, is a second series Heuer Autavia 1163 GMT from 1972, or so I've been told. It is a very beautiful chrono of the era and should be among the very first automatic chronos with GMT complication. Here are some pics I took yesterday to share with all you. I love that is a RHD watch and that faded Coca-Cola bezel insert.

IMG_3391.jpg

IMG_3386.jpg

IMG_3352.jpg

IMG_3366.jpg

IMG_3371.jpg

IMG_3387.jpg

IMG_3389.jpg

And finally next to his younger broter, my 5513 rep :)

IMG_3383.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the pics. It is a lovely watch.

Regards,

Dino

2nd Serie (or rather 2nd edition) should not have red tip main hour and minute hands.

Yours could be:
a) à first edition but the chrono (minute and hour) hands have both been replaced at a later date with the 2nd edition chrono hands

Or

b) a production caught in transition between the 1st edition and 2nd edition where parts from both edition are used (QC in the 70s is not that strict....)

There is actually a very good reason why Heuer changed the chrono hands from red to black (just Google and you will find the article).

Anyway, a very nice Heuer GMT.

Reactions: Dino2018

Dino2018

Patron
Certified
14/3/18
Dino my friend,

what a beautiful watch and what a great story behind it! Lovely and a timeless piece of horology!

Wear it in good health and viva Mexico!
J.

Thank you very much my dear Jacques!!!! :)

Dino2018

Patron
Certified
14/3/18
2nd Serie (or rather 2nd edition) should not have red tip main hour and minute hands.

Yours could be:
a) à first edition but the chrono (minute and hour) hands have both been replaced at a later date with the 2nd edition chrono hands

Or

b) a production caught in transition between the 1st edition and 2nd edition where parts from both edition are used (QC in the 70s is not that strict....)

There is actually a very good reason why Heuer changed the chrono hands from red to black (just Google and you will find the article).

Anyway, a very nice Heuer GMT.

Thank you very much for your excellent insight! Serial number is 225*** but I guess Heuer serial numbers of the era where a bit erratic.

I will try to find out more about this quirk detail!

An also will google the history you mentioned. Thank you!!!!!