• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Upgrading a Stock BP (Cartel) 1675 Dial

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
With a spare 1675 BP (Cartel) Dial I had laying around, I decided to figure out how to upgrade it with a better lume and texture (and used it to practice soldering dial feet).

My first step was to apply several layers of matte spray to the dial while it had the dial markers still on. I purposely did this so the matte lacquer would create a natural border for the next steps. For the spray, I use Testors brand Matte Spray Lacquer.

KOFae.jpg

KOYPT.jpg

Next, I pull the dial marker s off. It’s a simply task - turn the dial over and push the markers out by their legs with a pin pusher or other small pin tool. As you can see, the lacquer spray created a natural edge to guide repainting the indexes.

KOdKA.jpg

KOqhQ.jpg

I then used a Testers Flat White Epoxy paint to repaint the indexes. I used my thin oiler to apply the paint as I would lume. I painted the indexes rather than just luming because the white provides a reflective surface for the lume - basically, the lume is brighter and looks better one a white backdrop. Next time, I would consider cutting the thickness of the paint to make it a bit more “watery” and thin. I think it would help get the edges a bit smoother.

KOOcf.jpg

KOaop.jpg

KOtaX.jpg

Once dried (overnight), I applied a yellow lume, thinly applied as to not interfere with the GMT hand. I also relumed some left over hands to match since I had the lume out anyways. And finally, a few more coats of spray lacquer for good measure.

Looks pretty decent - now it just needs a home.

Thanks for looking!

Reactions: 369mafia

markiemark

Bracelet King
Patron
18/4/13
EU
Kudo's for the attempt, I never attempted luming a dial as you need a VERY steady and precise hand.

If you make the edges a bit sharper and application more flat, it might look even better :)

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Yes I think the key here is getting a sharp edge on indexes. Maybe a thinner layer of lacquer would help.

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Thanks for the feedback. It's a work in progress of how to get rid of applied indexes and lume a dial without and markers.

Yes I think the key here is getting a sharp edge on indexes. Maybe a thinner layer of lacquer would help.

KW, are you referring to the white paint or the spray lacquer as a thinner layer?

Kudo's for the attempt, I never attempted luming a dial as you need a VERY steady and precise hand.

If you make the edges a bit sharper and application more flat, it might look even better :)

MM, thanks, I agree about the luming, it take time and care.

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Thanks for the feedback. It's a work in progress of how to get rid of applied indexes and lume a dial without and markers.

KW, are you referring to the white paint or the spray lacquer as a thinner layer?

MM, thanks, I agree about the luming, it take time and care.

I mean the spray lacquer. It rips and creates an irregular edge when you remove the applied indexes. Maybe a thinner layer would leave less residue, as you said.

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Ha! That makes sense!

I was hesistant to post this at first because it wasn’t a perfect outcome. But with that tidbit of advice, I’m glad I did.

Thanks!

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Took my own advice and redid the lume and indexes. Re-hand painted the markers with a thinner white paint (50% mineral spirits) and relumed. The lume applied much nicer with a better, thinner, more even plot.

zn0aq.jpg

znko6.jpg

ADINVA

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/5/18
Looks awesome! Great pictorial guide again!