• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My 1675/16750 build

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
A shipment with a gen plexi and gen crown got lost, so now waiting for the new parts.

In the meantime I used the gen 16750 dial for a franken wso/cartel build. Case was beautifully reshaped by tripdog. I added a flat RT caseback and a WSO bezel assembly + insert.

Oyster or Jubilee? ;)
C1S0a.jpg

C1gjg.jpg

Mmm, that's a good looking watch.

Nur-Uhr

Time Machine
Patron
Certified
20/2/17
EU
Oh man, nice thread.

This 16750 dial build is looking amazing.
I get some “want have“ feelings for such a nice build..... must resist :)

Your build thread for the 1675 is great to read and look at.
1675 are nice GMT's

markiemark

Bracelet King
Patron
18/4/13
EU
Today I started working on moving the GMT parts from HR's A2836 GMT to the ETA 2836. I thought this was just the GMT Gear with the brass washer, but turns out it's more than that...

The A2836 GMT has a custom driver where normally the Day Corrector sits. Has a 'custom' Date Jumper Plate. Custom as in, they cut off a part to make space for the modified Date Wheel. A taller Canon Pinion, as well as a taller Hour Wheel.

Sorry, I was too busy figuring out and comparing how and what that I didn't take any pics during the process. Then the Date Driving Wheel came loose, and had some trouble keeping the Date Unlocking Yoke in place. So here is just the result.
CljZQ.jpg

Epoxied new dial feet at ETA position, as I don't like glueing it to the movement. Never thought cutting of the original ones would hurt so much haha!
ClXIX.jpg

The most annoying and important thing, aligning the DWO. All 5 windows have to be aligned/centred, perfectly. Because every 0.1mm turns into 0.25mm due to the cyclops on the crystal!
ClHif.jpg

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
markiemark I have a quick question for you, any chance you can measure the inner diameter between CG's?

Looking at pictures, they appear to hug a 5.3mm crown fairly tightly. I'm guessing 5.7mm.

Please let me know - I have laser welded SS material to the CG's on a Cartel case. I now need to machine the center, crown opening but I'm uncertain the dimension to cut it.

Thanks!

markiemark

Bracelet King
Patron
18/4/13
EU
The 1675 is finally finished! This one was a bit more difficult than the 16750 above. I spent quite a few hours on this one haha! I wasn't able to pull this off myself without the information found on the forums from the masters tripdog and yodog , thank you kindly sirs!

Pics:
UEVWf.jpg

U6Xhe.jpg

U64cT.jpg

U6maA.jpg

U6AoQ.jpg

The final recipe:
Vietnam case
Italian Jubilee bracelet (no lightweight rattling cartel sh*t)
WSO 550 endlinks + springbars
Swiss ETA 2836 + Asian GMT
Gen dial
Gen insert (blue-back)
Gen crown+tube
Gen plexi
Cartel hands
RT date overlay

markiemark

Bracelet King
Patron
18/4/13
EU
markiemark I have a quick question for you, any chance you can measure the inner diameter between CG's?

Looking at pictures, they appear to hug a 5.3mm crown fairly tightly. I'm guessing 5.7mm.

Please let me know - I have laser welded SS material to the CG's on a Cartel case. I now need to machine the center, crown opening but I'm uncertain the dimension to cut it.

Thanks!

Sorry my caliper is broken :(

yodog

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
2/9/11
In my parent's basement
Good job! bravo. Hurts to see the feet cut off on the dial...

Not as bad though as a request for me to relume a NOS 1675 service dial to brown

Last edited:
Reactions: Maron

Aidy

Known Member
27/8/16
Really great job, I’ve only just ordered a 5 digit coke today and thought I was happy till I saw that. I need some jubilees

markiemark

Bracelet King
Patron
18/4/13
EU
Good job! bravo. Hurts to see the feet cut off on the dial...

Not as bad though as a request for me to relume a NOS 1675 service dial to brown

A gen movement was out of the question, money-wise. So had to go the ETA route and cut the feet. I glued new feet on it, but ETA position as I didnt want to glue the dial to the movement. I know, it's lost its original value, but I'm not planning on to sell the dial, ever. I was however thinking about applying tea to the markers until I came to senses...

I still need to age the case and insert a bit, but not to much. I choose to give it a serviced look, as it is a Mark6/Service dial I believe (?)

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
That's an awesome build!! Great job on pulling everything together!

Have a question, that neat tool for the dial feet gluing, where could one get that? Do the dial feet come with this tool? Could you share a link or what it's called it was from shapeways?

Thanks mate beautiful build man it's a keeper!

markiemark

Bracelet King
Patron
18/4/13
EU
That's an awesome build!! Great job on pulling everything together!

Have a question, that neat tool for the dial feet gluing, where could one get that? Do the dial feet come with this tool? Could you share a link or what it's called it was from shapeways?

Thanks mate beautiful build man it's a keeper!

That tool is indeed neat tool. I ordered some copper dial feet from ebay, but the head will touch the datewheel, causing it to jam. Or setting the dial higher causing lower datewheel and the gmt hand to jam. So I filled down the heads which was a hell of a job because the dial feet break easily. I wasted a lot of feet before getting the final result!

On the builds after, I just glued the dial to the dial spacer ring. This is easier and also you can correct (circle-wise, not horizontally/vertically) the dial when the epoxy is hard as a rock. Then I used some polyimide film tape to secure the movement spacer. This way the movement also sits tighter in the eta movement spacer in the non-eta case...

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
That tool is indeed neat tool. I ordered some copper dial feet from ebay, but the head will touch the datewheel, causing it to jam. Or setting the dial higher causing lower datewheel and the gmt hand to jam. So I filled down the heads which was a hell of a job because the dial feet break easily. I wasted a lot of feet before getting the final result!

On the builds after, I just glued the dial to the dial spacer ring. This is easier and also you can correct (circle-wise, not horizontally/vertically) the dial when the epoxy is hard as a rock. Then I used some polyimide film tape to secure the movement spacer. This way the movement also sits tighter in the eta movement spacer in the non-eta case...

Thanks for your reply mate! I will be using dial dots then for my dial and date wheel overlay, I will first need to install H4 pinions.

thanks again mate!

Gardetemps

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/12/18
thanks for sharing this.

This thread was a nice read.

The result is awesome!

dovla

I'm Pretty Popular
3/3/12
DE /AU
The 1675 is finally finished! This one was a bit more difficult than the 16750 above. I spent quite a few hours on this one haha! I wasn't able to pull this off myself without the information found on the forums from the masters tripdog and yodog , thank you kindly sirs!

Pics:
UEVWf.jpg

U6Xhe.jpg

U64cT.jpg

U6maA.jpg

U6AoQ.jpg

The final recipe:
Vietnam case
Italian Jubilee bracelet (no lightweight rattling cartel sh*t)
WSO 550 endlinks + springbars
Swiss ETA 2836 + Asian GMT
Gen dial
Gen insert (blue-back)
Gen crown+tube
Gen plexi
Cartel hands
RT date overlay

Whatta a stunner mate!
Definitely need to get my hands on the 1675 again!

Plantagenet

7/12/18
Europe
I recently caught the vintage fever and this trade is one of the reasons.
markiemark Outstanding build and thread, thanks a lot!
If you can provide the source of the bracelet, would appreciate ;)