• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Vintage Rolex Forum Crossover

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
So I've only just recently discovered and signed up over at VRF (https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vintagerolexforum/index.php). It's a very cool resource with lots of good knowledge and a robust marketplace. I recently got what I think is a good deal on a 6251H bracelet with replacement 62510H clasp - I'll be wearing that with my 1675 build.
But I've started to notice some crossover in user names between RWI and VRF - which got me curious:
- Are there a lot of members with their feet in both worlds, rep and gen?
- Does this mean the appreciation for reps is more pervasive than I originally would have guessed?
I sort of assumed the Rep world was a small one, disdained by the Gen owners, particularly those who have a forum dedicated to Vintage watches worth $100K (https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vin...ograph-daytona-ref-6263-silver-b-t245097.html). But maybe we're all the same, people who appreciate well-designed, well-made vintage watches. Maybe we'd all love to own that $100K vintage watch but until we're in the 1%, we'll build an homage to it and enjoy it thoroughly.
I also got to wondering, what with how good reps are getting and the crossover of membership - how much of the merchandise sold on VRF is legit?

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Yes there are a number of members here that own Gen as well as Rep. The Gen forums are a great resource for knowledge, parts , advice, etc. I highly doubt that anyone from the rep community is trying to flip franken watches on the Gen Market. Some of those guys on that forum have been in the Rolex hobby for decades and have forgotten more than some of us here know. We have had some Gen owners from those forums come over here looking for parts and advice on the aftermarket scene. We have helped a few people source replacement AM GMT Plastic inserts for their 6542 because the rep and aftermarket are the next best thing to Gen vintage parts.