• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

1680 AfterMarket Crystal Comparison (JKF, WSO, and Clark’s)

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Being frustrated that my JKF 1680 Sub required glue to hold the crystal and retaining ring in place I decided to replace with something friction fit I ordered a couple crystals and a bezel assembly. I started out with a JKF 1680 Red Submariner and purchased a bezel assembly from WSO and crystals from both WSO and Clarks. Here's the measurements I took:

WSO Crystal
25-127
30.25mm OD
28.1mm ID
27.8mm ID
1mm thick sidewall (step inside)
6.4mm tall
1.8x mag

Clark’s Crystal
25-127
30.4mm OD
28.05mm ID
1.1mm thick sidewall
5.8mm tall
2.5x mag

JKF Crytal
25-127
30.30mm OD
28.00mm ID
1.1mm thick sidewall
5.6mm tall
2.5x mag

WSO Retaining Ring
30.2mm ID

JKF Retaining Ring
30.26mm

(sorry, I forgot to measure the rehaute)

I understand none of these sources have rigorous QC so my dimensions could be off from what you get. In the end I used the Clarks crystal with the WSO bezel assembly. The Clarks crystal fit comfortably onto the rehaute but not securely (it didn't take much of any force to get it on). However, in sliding the retaining ring over the crystal everything came together very tightly (I could barely get the ring on).

In the end I'm pleased to have a watch with friction keeping it together in lieu of glue and a prayer. Lesson learned is to order parts from multiple sources when replacing things - nothing is "gen spec". 

Crystals from left to right, Clarks (with WSO bezel assembly), JKF (with JKF bezel assembly), and WSO.

oDZqLt8.jpg

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
Thanks for sharing....glad it turned out good.

ADINVA

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/5/18
Your willingness to share has saved us a lot of efforts and avoid mistakes. Many thanks!